‘23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Colorado Commit)

Our two CB commitments right now are way better than this kid. Stop falling for the stars and watch some tape.

Sometimes 3 and 4 star players turn out way better than 5 stars.
Yes I know that. It has nothing to do with a knock on our commitments. Just read the responses I already made

Btw, I’m no expert on film and neither are you. Also, some factors that push a kid higher are physical, such are reach, agility, top end and bottom speed. Those are more important for projection than technical when you’re dealing with high school vs college.

And as far as rankings, we say that for just about every individual recruit but there’s no denying the data that overall classes have fared better throughout history. So the more stars the better

Yes I know that. It has nothing to do with a knock on our commitments. Just read the responses I already made

Btw, I’m no expert on film and neither are you. Also, some factors that push a kid higher are physical, such are reach, agility, top end and bottom speed. Those are more important for projection than technical when you’re dealing with high school vs college.

And as far as rankings, we say that for just about every individual recruit but there’s no denying the data that overall classes have fared better throughout history. So the more stars the better

To add, some recruits are underrated and some are also overrated (which a fan base almost never wants to admit). However, it all comes back to the mean. So I know it’s trendy and cool to call people star gazers but overall classes win more.

And of course you have to develop too. Like AL, GA and OSU. You can have a great class and underperform (see Jimbo and Butch) and the opposite is true (possibly ours). But there’s no denying you combine both and you dominate

To add, some recruits are underrated and some are also overrated (which a fan base almost never wants to admit). However, it all comes back to the mean. So I know it’s trendy and cool to call people star gazers but overall classes win more.

And of course you have to develop too. Like AL, GA and OSU. You can have a great class and underperform (see Jimbo and Butch) and the opposite is true (possibly ours). But there’s no denying you combine both and you dominate

The mean does not apply equally to all coaching staffs. That is another aspect of evaluating the entire picture. Some staffs are not good about identifying which recruits are underrated and which recruits are overrated. So they recruit much more on strictly physical attributes and recruiting website hype.

If MC can consistently recruit in the top ten, then the canes will contend for the ACC sooner rather than later. Dabo won't be the king of that conference for long if Miami can get players again.

Ron Zook filled the looker room too and still didn’t win much.

As long as we keep running this 4 deep shell and focus on stopping the run (I understand why they do it, you can't have a fast playing offense and then allow the other team to run the ball on 18 play drives. Your defense would be broken by the end of the 3rd quarter.) we need sure tacklers in the secondary more than shut down corners. We've always got 6 or 7 in the box, slanting against the run and using blitzes as they play for 3rd down sacks. Need lot's of D linemen and a couple of 5 star OLB pass rushers.

We're producing defensive numbers that have the General spinning in his grave. Contrary to my 60+ years as a Vols fan, but I realize it's how we're going to play until we are 3 deep with front line players at all defensive positions. Then we can keep them fresh.

Reactions: SentinelVol
If MC can consistently recruit in the top ten, then the canes will contend for the ACC sooner rather than later. Dabo won't be the king of that conference for long if Miami can get players again.

As long as Clemson keeps getting top 5-10 recruiting classes, they won't be going anywhere as long as Dabo is the HC. Last year they had injuries everywhere and terrible QB play and still won 10 games.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

Yes he will. Mario is a great a recruiter but that’s it.

Yeah, cristobal looks real elite… 🙄

Who said anything about "elite." You can be a good coach and not be elite. Dan Mullen was a good coach. Didn't stop him from getting fired the first sign of struggle. There are lots of "good coaches." But very few elite coaches.

If MC is still floating around .500 in 2 years, then you can say something.

Does the name Cam Sutton ring a bell?
He was great. If we don't hit on the top level corners (based on recruiting rankings), then we certainly need a Cam Sutton type in every class. And of course we haven't came close to that.
It's clear why Georgia and Ohio State are ranked highly. The players they have. Tennessee is going to need to recruit at higher level than we have the recent past. There is nothing wrong with saying it.

He was great. If we don't hit on the top level corners (based on recruiting rankings), then we certainly need a Cam Sutton type in every class. And of course we haven't came close to that.
It's clear why Georgia and Ohio State are ranked highly. The players they have. Tennessee is going to need to recruit at higher level than we have the recent past. There is nothing wrong with saying it.

Factually wrong? Perhaps.

Vols are in position for a NC run without the recruiting of UGA and OSU.

Alabama, Ohio State & Georgia are in playoff contention because of extremely successful recruiting.

This has certainly been a great year for us.

To think we will do this year after year without being ranked higher in recruiting is folly. And of course our head coach knows that. He's recruiting his ass off currently. And the results are showing.

Do not pretend to yourself that Tennessee will be a regular up at the top while STILL having subpar recruiting classes. It won't happen. That's why the entire football world is shocked at what we're doing now.

Alabama, Ohio State & Georgia are in playoff contention because of extremely successful recruiting.

This has certainly been a great year for us.

Do not pretend to yourself that Tennessee will be a regular up at the top while STILL having subpar recruiting classes. It won't happen. That's why the entire football world is shocked at what we're doing now.

And yet, here we are right in the mix. Can't happen though. Can't happen next year either. Unless it does.

VN Store

Back