Five reasons Vols will have top 5 2020 recruiting class

Well, this year we'll need to win/show some improvement on the field. The first full cycle, which was 2019 is generally the best one for a new coach to sell pure hope. If we are 7-5 or less while getting boatraced multiple times again, we'll be lucky to finish where we did this year.

On the flip side, I think if we can get to 8-4 or a very competitive 7-5 (soundly beating the spread in any underdog contest), we might have a chance at Top 5. If we get to 9-3 and are very competitive a Top 5 finish at that point becomes more likely than not I think. Recruits will want to see some on the field progress this year.

Honestly, if we can just stack another recruiting class like the one we just got, especially along the lines, we'll be building a firm foundation.

Last edited:
LMAO. If we win 7 games, we will have a Top 10 class. Period.
7-5 might impress us at this point, but not anyone else, so don't hold your breath. Now if we are ultra competitive including against multiple top 10 teams, maybe, but if we get throttled again by Bama, Florida, and Georgia, I do not see us consistently beating them on the recruiting trail, which is what we will need to do to be Top 5/10.

Last edited:
I know you're half-joking, but I do think some make too much out of sec rankings. It's not like the B10 where the gap from the #3 team (Penn St?) and #7 is a massive gap of 20,30 spots.

Furthermore, only Bama and UGA are annual opponents of ours and well ahead of us. LSU, Auburn, A&M we rarely play. UF was not materially ahead of us this year. I think someone said if we included the 2 transfers' HS rankings we would be #3 nationally. Just shows how close we are to everyone else (not UGA or Bama).

Our average recruit is right there with everyone else. Now we have to win on the field and catapult our recruiting to a new level not seen since Fulmer.
Great post. That’s cool to know, I hope those 2 guys will be eligible this year!

Things are setting up for us next season for sure.

1. Schedule is much better
2. Most of our near tossup opponents have had a lot more attrition and lost more starters than us. (Vandy 27 players I think, KY, MissSt, SCAR, BYU,). Mizzou too but as big of a difference.
3. Mizzou may not be motivated with probation. Lost Drew Lock and a potential 1st round WR Hall.
4. Year 2 of better S&C for most players.
5. Year 2 of knowing the scheme
6. OL talent is way up even though we lost a few players to medical issues (Hall, Antonutti, Brooks). We get 5 super OL recruits and we should be able to redshirt at least two of them. We get Kennedy back, Jahmir Johnson played well as a stickman, now he should be much more muscled up. Trey is still a possibility. Richmond may not transfer. If he comes back, he should be better and could possibly play guard. Tatum is finally at an OT playing weight.
7. CBs will have a season under them. Safety play should be solid.
8. Very experienced at WR/RB and QB. Not quite deep enough at RB though.
9. Even with loss of Wolf, we will be slightly better at TE.
10. Special Teams kickers return for another season.
11. LBs will be much improved
12. Better OC with Chaney
13. Players will have higher expectations and demand more from each other

DL depth and experience is only major concern. One or two JUCO or Grad Transfers will shore that up. I also expect some of the OL to get looks on DL in Spring Practices. Nathan Neihaus, Ollie Lane and Jerome Carvin come to mind.

I think someone said if we included the 2 transfers' HS rankings we would be #3 nationally.
I remember that guy, he was ignoring the fact that everyone else was adding transfers. I think it was the same guy who said if we added Henry T. and Wright we'd be Top 5, again disregarding the fact that other teams would add players.

We did darn good to finish where we did this year coming off 5-7 and a year end throttling from Vandy. I don't know why some feel the need to play the if ifs and buts were candy and nuts game.

We're in good position all things considered, but don't kid yourself, there's still a giant gap between us and Bama and the other perennial Top 5 recruiters. Bama and Georgia have about twice as many blue chip (consensus 4 and 5 star) guys on their roster as we do and that gap didn't close any this year. We did hopefully get some pieces to help us stop losing to Vandy, Missouri, and Sakerlina.

Last edited:
Things are setting up for us next season for sure.

1. Schedule is much better
2. Most of our near tossup opponents have had a lot more attrition and lost more starters than us. (Vandy 27 players I think, KY, MissSt, SCAR, BYU,). Mizzou too but as big of a difference.
3. Mizzou may not be motivated with probation. Lost Drew Lock and a potential 1st round WR Hall.
4. Year 2 of better S&C for most players.
5. Year 2 of knowing the scheme
6. OL talent is way up even though we lost a few players to medical issues (Hall, Antonutti, Brooks). We get 5 super OL recruits and we should be able to redshirt at least two of them. We get Kennedy back, Jahmir Johnson played well as a stickman, now he should be much more muscled up. Trey is still a possibility. Richmond may not transfer. If he comes back, he should be better and could possibly play guard. Tatum is finally at an OT playing weight.
7. CBs will have a season under them. Safety play should be solid.
8. Very experienced at WR/RB and QB. Not quite deep enough at RB though.
9. Even with loss of Wolf, we will be slightly better at TE.
10. Special Teams kickers return for another season.
11. LBs will be much improved
12. Better OC with Chaney
13. Players will have higher expectations and demand more from each other

DL depth and experience is only major concern. One or two JUCO or Grad Transfers will shore that up. I also expect some of the OL to get looks on DL in Spring Practices. Nathan Neihaus, Ollie Lane and Jerome Carvin come to mind.
All that is good except the end. Move Kingston Harris and Eric Crosby back to the DL. Keep those other guys on the OL, going to need them there.
Gooden
Savion Williams
Middleton
Butler
Garland
Mincey
Kingston
Crosby
Elijah Simmons
Greg Emerson
Solomon? Does he qualify
Kivon Bennett? OLB or DE

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
All that is good except the end. Move Kingston Harris and Eric Crosby back to the DL. Keep those other guys on the OL, going to need them there.
Gooden
Savion Williams
Middleton
Butler
Garland
Mincey
Kingston
Crosby

Elijah Simmons
Greg Emerson
Solomon? Does he qualify
Kivon Bennett? OLB or DE

Forgot about those guys and fingers crossed on Solomon.

Maybe still give a few others on OL who aren't high on the depth chart a look on DL though. We have the luxury of doing that with Spring Training.

While we are at it, give a Byrd a look at RB if he isn't getting better at WR. He is too good and fast of an athlete to not utilize somewhere.

VN Store

Back