First Vol game you remember and your age

I was a freshman, traveling to a PAC-10, did not think I would see the field and BAM! the 1st and 2nd string QBs were injured and CPF looked at me and said: "Steve" (name hidden to protect my identity, get warmed up...........MAN! I was nervous and it showed on the field. I wish I could tell who I am, but that was my most memorable game.

Go Vols!

I don’t really recall my first game. I do remember playing in my yard as a child and hearing the roars coming from Neyland Stadium.

I guess I was about 9 or 10 when I really became cognizant of the Vols. I remember my mom talking about all the players she would meet that came into the restaurant where she worked. At one point she introduced me to Bobby Scott at the restaurant. He was by far the most famous person I had ever met up until then.

Curt Watson, whom I also met, was one of my favorite players, and she must have told him because one day she came home with one of his game-worn jerseys that he gave to her to give to me. It quickly became my favorite shirt. In hindsight, I probably should have saved it, but being that young I had no clue of that significance.

My first UT game was in 1945. Do not recall who they were playing as they let Boy Scouts into the game. at no charge. I was living in Oak Ridge at the time. I had a friend from my home community in Roane County that was playing on the team. Remember this was a "'war time" team with John Barnhill coaching in the absence of General Neyland. I doubt that there will be anyone earlier than this 1945 team.

I was a freshman, traveling to a PAC-10, did not think I would see the field and BAM! the 1st and 2nd string QBs were injured and CPF looked at me and said: "Steve" (name hidden to protect my identity, get warmed up...........MAN! I was nervous and it showed on the field. I wish I could tell who I am, but that was my most memorable game.

Go Vols!
U from Tullahoma

In person? Would have to look at the schedules back in the day, but two games stand out. One was against Hawaii, and I remember we gave up a safety. Later in the game, we had them pinned deep, made a stop, and some Vols picked up the Hawaii player, lifted him over their heads, and carried him in the end zone. Refs didn't buy it.
Other game was the Larry Seivers two point catch against Clemson. My dad ALWAYS wanted to leave early, beat the traffic, and we missed the comeback. Dad is now 85, and bless him, I STILL give him a hard time about leaving early from that game!

86 Sugar Bowl. I guess I was about 8. It was just such a big deal. For weeks I would hear my dad chatting with folks about it.

first time in neyland was probably a frosh game vs unc or bama (remember the halftime race) or for game against chatt

think i saw mcdonald's first game w/tix in section r. usually waas in endzone bleachers

1946 Tennessee lost to Wake Forest 19-6. I t was played on October 26, 5 days before my 8th birthday.

1971 TN vs Auburn in Neyland ... and I've hated Auburn ever since then !

I was 6 yrs old

Last edited:
1957 cotton bowl
we were visting knoxville for xmas and watched it on tube w/ dad, grandad. i was 7/
we won on 4th q fg, i think.
still have mental pic of john david crow

before that,i was told that i threw a fit because i couldnt go to ut-tech game in atl when parents left me w/ aunt in atlanta while mom, dad went to grant field.
bobby dodd won
ArdentVol, quite a coincidence. That was my first game, too. I was 6 and watched it on TV. I have been a Vol fan ever since. I grew up in Kentucky and lived there until I went to UT. Took a lot of guff but had the upper edge to say the least during high school in 67-69 during which the Vols won two SEC Championships.

We still have the newspaper stories cut out in the photo album from that game! YOU never wanted to leave early!

First game I saw (on the television) was the Orange bowl, 1968 vs. Oklahoma. First game I attended was 1968 vs. Kentucky.

My first memory of UT football was this game.
I was 3 1/2. 👍🧡🍊

First game attended was 1980 vs Georgia. Had em beat until they turned Hershel loose........

VN Store

Back