First Day of Practice for the Lady Vols 2018 -2019

Most ppl saying their exciting about this team, I say it's too early to tell if a pregnant woman will have a boy or a girl.

ppft do the Drano test ,pee in it and see what color it is :) I think green is a boy and blue a girl,not sure about that though :)

Reactions: T_Vol376
Hearing Holly speak makes me hope a bit, but all I really know is that the more someone tells me how it's gonna go, the less I listen. No one on this board -- not a one of us -- knows what is about to transpire this year. We can predict based on past results, but its the games that'll tell us. Well, I don't know, maybe someone has the time to sit in on every open practice, but even so, that only gets you so far.

But the games - December 2nd, December 9th, December 18th, and January 24th. Four tests, each harder than the last (possibly). Oklahoma State lost a few seniors including one big scorer, but it's a road game and those are always a test. Texas on the road and Stanford at home - each only lost only one senior; they'll be back and they'll be big games. And then the real deal comes January 24th. I am very excited to see what kind of Tennessee shows up for that game. A home stand against the best in the nation, with a potential player of the year candidate to face off against.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
If Holly does not demand the ball go inside before a shot is taken, it will be an improvement.....

Since we don't have giant in the middle, perhaps, just perhaps, the girls will have an outside game.

Looking forward to the season.....

I think it will P4.
This kid has a chamique-like presence.

This team, this year will be what VFFL's ((Vol Fans For Life)) have waited on.
They may or may not not come out with a 15 win streak, but they will do something this time that the other groups didn't...They will grow stronger.

These kids have all the markings of self-governing players.
Each one, inner driven.
All they need is coaxing and coaching.

The senior leadership has led by example and shown off-season work ethic.
If the coaches hit the films, as hard as the girls have hit the gyms, this will be a very good year.
They have to concentrate and figure out game strategy and proper use of weapons, given. (time out).

Most importantly, they have to realize,
though,
that self-driven players are equally loyal to their mentors and coaches...And they will follow them in success or failure, equally loyal and equally submissive.
Coach Holdsclaw was the best. I would take her over Candace. It’s BIG to compare Davis to the best. I hope she can be 3/4 of Meek.

Coach Holdsclaw was the best. I would take her over Candace. It’s BIG to compare Davis to the best. I hope she can be 3/4 of Meek.
I know what you meant. When I use voice text without looking at it before I send it, I have some very precarious post.

Chamique had a fire Within her not only she could Stoke but Pat Summitt could stoke. When you've got an athlete like that and the coach who can get the best out of them amazing things happen. Rennia is of the same caliber body athleticism and possibly little bit behind mique in skill at this point but she reminds me more of her than anybody I've seen in Holly's tenure. People who know me know I shoot from the hip. I truly believe that our team has got the right players this year to build the foundation for a run, possibly culminating this year but definitely culminating in the future
if,
we don't get a fly in the ointment

Last edited:
There are many areas where the team needs to improve as noted in the above thread. The elephant in the room is that if the LVs could have hit wide open jump shots, particularly from behind the arc, in the back half of the season, they would have won a lot more games. If teams pack the paint and dare you to beat them from the perimeter, and you consistently CAN NOT DO THAT, well you just made life quite easy for the opposition. Had the LVs been rock solid on defense or consistently controlled the boards (as per classic LV basketball), they could have better compensated for their shooting deficiencies. But, I don't think in the current game, a team can really be elite if it can't shoot. The game has become oriented arorund perimeter scoring and guard play (for the last decade or so). In sum, I think the real litmus test is going to be if returning LVs have improved their shooting and if the freshmen can provide some outside scoring punch.

There are many areas where the team needs to improve as noted in the above thread. The elephant in the room is that if the LVs could have hit wide open jump shots, particularly from behind the arc, in the back half of the season, they would have won a lot more games. If teams pack the paint and dare you to beat them from the perimeter, and you consistently CAN NOT DO THAT, well you just made life quite easy for the opposition. Had the LVs been rock solid on defense or consistently controlled the boards (as per classic LV basketball), they could have better compensated for their shooting deficiencies. But, I don't think in the current game, a team can really be elite if it can't shoot. The game has become oriented arorund perimeter scoring and guard play (for the last decade or so). In sum, I think the real litmus test is going to be if returning LVs have improved their shooting and if the freshmen can provide some outside scoring punch.

If we had somebody who WANTED to shoot the three! It has been for a few years now that they played to force it inside or if the clock was running down.... NOBODY wanted the ball late because they would have to shoot???
The last player who did not mind shooting was Megan Simmons. Last year was understandable because of the Freshmen. If we have anyone on the team who can shoot 40% from three.... we are a completely different team and no one can play that sagging zone and dare us to shoot from outside! Just saying!🤔

If we had somebody who WANTED to shoot the three! It has been for a few years now that they played to force it inside or if the clock was running down.... NOBODY wanted the ball late because they would have to shoot???
The last player who did not mind shooting was Megan Simmons. Last year was understandable because of the Freshmen. If we have anyone on the team who can shoot 40% from three.... we are a completely different team and no one can play that sagging zone and dare us to shoot from outside! Just saying!🤔

We had one. Imagine Dunbar shooting in rhythm and in her own created openings, instead of in panic.
The same will always be true.
But math is math... making 60% at 2's equals 40% at 3's
The same numbers equate a good pace in your offense, 60% within the arc and 40% out of the arc.

We have a 3 pt shooter. A couple in fact.
But they got to have permission to fail without repercussions or public call outs.
Everybody talks about Meghan, but they forget the frustrations of her streaks.
She could miss 8 then make 4, miss 4 then make 8.

What we have to eliminate is that "bad shot" nonsense...in basketball ANY made shot is a good, but
is it a good decision to take the shot?..That is what the staff has to ask and the athlete has to govern herself at during a game.

I have a standard rule...miss three 3's ,, the forth better go in ,, if it doesn't you go out.
The only way that changes is if the forth was a drive, then you can stay in.
This gives the streak-shooter a good margin to go by.

We had one. Imagine Dunbar shooting in rhythm and in her own created openings, instead of in panic.
The same numbers equate a good pace in your offense, 60% within the arc and 40% out of the arc.

But they got to have permission to fail without repercussions or public call outs.

What we have to eliminate is that "bad shot" nonsense...in basketball ANY made shot is a good, but
is it a good decision to take the shot?..That is what the staff has to ask and the athlete has to govern herself at during a game.

I have a standard rule...miss three 3's ,, the forth better go in ,, if it doesn't you go out.

So if Kara Lawson misses three 3s you taking her out ? I’m telling her to keep shooting! Same with Kelsey Mitchell or Victoria Vivian’s! They r gamers and shooters have to shoot. I’m not telling Brad Beal, Steph curry, or any other three point shooter to STOP (I corrected this from my orginal post) shooting.

Last edited:

Understand what you mean , however I was more interested in our players mental attitude about taking that shot! Meghan never saw a shot she did not like... that will get you in trouble or win some games! My main concern was this hot potato mentality of getting rid of the ball so I don’t have to shoot! I have seen our players pass up a shot and pass the ball to someone who couldn’t possibly get a shot up!!! Just saying
We have to develop attitudes of I am taking the shot when open unless someone else has a better one. JMO

So if Kara Lawson misses three 3s you taking her out ? I’m telling her to keep shooting! Same with Kelsey Mitchell or Victoria Vivian’s! They r gamers and shooters have to shoot. I’m not telling Brad Beal, Steph curry, or any other three point shooter to keep shooting.

I mean to STOP shooting ! I would tell them to keep shooting ... I’m just naming women and men who should have the green light! I didn’t wanna mention gulp (Diana Taurasi who missed a rack of shots but then was unconscious to force a game 4 in the semifinals). If she didn’t keep shooting her team would have lost.

I'm not taking her out to plant a garden, just to plant a point,,, And yes, If Kara misses three 3's and I don't think it wise for her to readily miss #4, Ms Lawson, takes a seat.

There are those like the players you mention that earn less of a set of reins by consistently making good decisions, shot falling notwithstanding.,,, My philosophy is to give the "shooting go" initially and each time after that it is earned., they keep it, if they don't abuse it or become selfish and careless with the shooting-pass.

Give them permission to fail, but not permission to be a failure.

Players earn this trust, just as coaches earn commitment.

And with stephan, You're talking about the king of bad shots that fall. He gets so deep in the zone that he heat-checks with ridiculous shots. Someone like him, Diane, Maya, Chamique,,,you rest up, not rein in.

I mean to STOP shooting ! I would tell them to keep shooting ... I’m just naming women and men who should have the green light! I didn’t wanna mention gulp (Diana Taurasi who missed a rack of shots but then was unconscious to force a game 4 in the semifinals). If she didn’t keep shooting her team would have lost.

Same was true for Sue Bird. She told her team to please let her shoot through her slump and then exploded in Q4 of the finals.

Both of these players have shown to be able to break their own slumps..
So they have earned a different degree of freedom.

VN Store

Back