First day of full contact practice

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Today is the first day that the Vols get to put on the pads for full contact. I will be anxious to hear the reports as they come in.

Someone told me today that JUCO Albert Toenia laid out Parys Haralson.

Here is the report from UT Sports:

Day 3: Tennessee Drill Kicks Off First Day in Pads

KNOXVILLE (March 23) - Tennessee donned the pads for the first time Tuesday as spring football practice drills continued at Haslam Field. The Vols worked for another 21/2-hour session, with head coach Phillip Fulmer welcoming the onset of tackle football.

“Certainly the first day of contact was full,” he said. “The kids came out and did a good job of responding to what we asked them to do.

“You know, one day you’re going to have one side that looks better and the next day the other side. At least I hope that’s the way it is because then you’ve got a pretty good football team.”

Although he saw his charges suffer a few bumps and bruises during the opening day of game-like situations, Fulmer knows that’s part of the sport.

“It was a very competitive day and I hope a couple of guys who were injured are going to be OK, but that’s part of trying to have a physical spring. I think we’ll be a better team if we have good contact for the rest of the spring.”

The “Tennessee Drill” highlighted the mid-point of Tuesday’s session, with one-on-one scrimmage line play testing both veteran Vols and newcomers.

“We’ve got guys who haven’t played a lot for us,” Fulmer said. “They need to get up there with the Munozes, the Resperts, the Houstons and the Davises. It’s a very competitive drill and a very competitive situation. It looked like the energy level was high.”

UT returns to practice Thursday and Friday before staging its first scrimmage of the spring Saturday.

VN Store

Back