Financial Factors - Rick Barnes

Barnes has no choice but develop guys at Tennessee to be good.

But being at a school where you constantly have the majority of your roster being 4-5 stars is better and maximizes his remaining coaching years.

At Tennessee with Bone/Grant departures, he will have to scrap to get a tourney spot and have to spend next 2-3 years developing players.....

So Tennessee will fall back to bubble team status for next 2-3 years with hope of developing another batch of Bones and Admirals and Grants or go to UCLA, get paid, and have a plethora of 4-5 stars year in and year out.

Maybe thats his strength as a coach?

Refitting the entire puzzle every 12 to 24 months doesn't fit every coach and I don't think it fits Barnes at this stage of his career. No different than players, not all coaches are the same. As I said earlier, if he was looking at staying at a UCLA type for 10 years + similar to what Cal is going to do at UK to finish and coupled that with the money its a pretty easy move if that AA Championship is the be all.

So it circles back to whether the check just adds up to enough.

Without reading every word of every post do t forget Barnes is his own agent. So this could also be a way for him to get more money for his coaching staff as well. He did have an NCAA violation for paying a coach out of his own pocket. I say pay him 5 mil and be done w it

Maybe thats his strength as a coach?

Refitting the entire puzzle every 12 to 24 months doesn't fit every coach and I don't think it fits Barnes at this stage of his career. No different than players, not all coaches are the same. As I said earlier, if he was looking at staying at a UCLA type for 10 years + similar to what Cal is going to do at UK to finish and coupled that with the money its a pretty easy move if that AA Championship is the be all.

So the question is does Barnes feel happy/comfortable knowing he will be good in 2-3 year cycles with developing 3 stars in his last 4-6 years of coaching or does he think having four or five 4-5 stars every year will maximize his window to be good and make runs to contend for a title.

So far the develop players to be really good every 3-4 years hasn't worked for him.

I can't, for the life of me, imagine CRB in LA. He would be in for a rude awakening if he diverts a weekly press conference to talk about two of his players getting baptized.
When you're 64 and kinda old school in your personality as a person and a coach there are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this.

On a side note. Ive got a a good friend of mine that was recruited and offered a scholly by coach Barnes several years ago. He has a high opinion of him as a coach.

He wants to win a title before he retires as that is the last thing on earth he hasn't accomplished and that ain't happening at Tennessee.

That’s because it’s a Rick Barnes problem, not a Tennessee problem.

Reactions: CTVolsfan14
That’s because it’s a Rick Barnes problem, not a Tennessee problem.

Sure, but at Tennessee it will take 2-3 years to develop a roster to be equipped to contend for a title.

Does he really want to spend 4 of his last 6 years being a bubble status team with hopes of having 1-2 good seasons like the past 2?

Fans have mentioned many reasons for Barnes to stay and to go. The one thing not mentioned, and will seem strange to some on here, is If Barnes feels he is being called to go to UCLA. If he feels the LORD is telling him to stay he will stay. If he feels he is being led to leave, he will leave. If he is the man I think he is, money and and easy recruiting are not the deciding factors.

So the question is does Barnes feel happy/comfortable knowing he will be good in 2-3 year cycles with developing 3 stars in his last 4-6 years of coaching or does he think having four or five 4-5 stars every year will maximize his window to be good and make runs to contend for a title.

So far the develop players to be really good every 3-4 years hasn't worked for him.
Maybe thats just who he is? A good coach that needs time to develop good teams.

K is considered the best in the game right now (by most) he has 1 in the last 6 years and hasn't gotten past the E8 in the rest of them.
Id say he'd be a lot more "comfortable" knowing he had a decade of that talent to get that done instead of one contract term.

Sure, but at Tennessee it will take 2-3 years to develop a roster to be equipped to contend for a title.

Does he really want to spend 4 of his last 6 years being a bubble status team with hopes of having 1-2 good seasons like the past 2?
If he's looking for that 1 championship he doesn't have why would we care what the previous 2 or 3 looked like?

"A 5 star" meaning 1...... He ain't getting multiple 4-5 star guys every year at Tennessee like he would at UCLA.

Alford was able to land five 4-5 stars last year alone. Barnes wasn't even doing that at Texas.

UCLA's recruiting base is its own backyard.

He had spurts and runs of really good recruiting at Texas, but it was nothing like that stockpile of talent he would have or any coach would have at UCLA.

UCLA would by far be the easiest job for him in terms of recruiting because he would never need to leave town.
Maybe Barnes has a higher calling.

Maybe thats just who he is? A good coach that needs time to develop good teams.

K is considered the best in the game right now (by most) he has 1 in the last 6 years and hasn't gotten past the E8 in the rest of them.
Id say he'd be a lot more "comfortable" knowing he had a decade of that talent to get that done instead of one contract term.

But Coach K is always going to be in the title contention discussion. Barnes will be in the bubble team discussion for 2 years and then hopefully his development works out to move the discussion to contention... It worked out with this batch of players over the past 4 years, but there is no guarantee.

I just think at this point in his career, use the remaining time left to go chase a title. If that means going to UCLA where you can get any 4 or 5 star that you want, do it.

If he is comfortable not doing that, why are we paying him to just run out the clock?

This whole thing is very odd.

If he's looking for that 1 championship he doesn't have why would we care what the previous 2 or 3 looked like?

Because the likelihood of spending 2 or 3 years to develop a roster in a title contender is more uncertain than taking a gig where you can get any top 100 guy you want. What gives him a bigger window to chase a title? Developing a majority of 3 stars for 2-3 years or working with a roster majority made up of Top 100 kids year in and year out?

That’s his own damn fault then. Recruit better.

If Barnes thinks he’s limited at Tennessee after seeing what Auburn and Texas Tech have done he needs his head examined.

But Coach K is always going to be in the title contention discussion. Barnes will be in the bubble team discussion for 2 years and then hopefully his development works out to move the discussion to contention... It worked out with this batch of players over the past 4 years, but there is no guarantee.

I just think at this point in his career, use the remaining time left to go chase a title. If that means going to UCLA where you can get any 4 or 5 star that you want, do it.

If he is comfortable not doing that, why are we paying him to just run out the clock?

This whole thing is very odd.

Discussion and actually being in the mix late are 2 different things. He was in the discussion this year and if the point is winning it that doesn't really matter because that didn't happen.
K has 3 years out of the last 6 where he was outed by the S16 or earlier. And 2 more where he didn't see the last weekend.

The last point is silly given where the program has gotten to compared to where it was when he got here. That has been debunked with his last 2 seasons.

Because the likelihood of spending 2 or 3 years to develop a roster in a title contender is more uncertain than taking a gig where you can get any top 100 guy you want. What gives him a bigger window to chase a title? Developing a majority of 3 stars for 2-3 years or working with a roster majority made up of Top 100 kids year in and year out?

Over a 4 -6 year span I wouldn't agree that its anymore uncertain. 10 years, 12 years? Sure.
The "one and done" or even 2 and done is a different puzzle to put together. And the best in the game right now miss on that puzzle more often than they hit it. Ive mentioned several times is not the strength of every coach. I don't believe it's coach Barnes strength and don't believe in that short of a run makes all that much difference.

If he jumps he'll probably walk away with more retirement money but I don't think it changes his championship chances all that much.

That’s his own damn fault then. Recruit better.

If Barnes thinks he’s limited at Tennessee after seeing what Auburn and Texas Tech have done he needs his head examined.
I don't think he believes that at all.

Over a 4 -6 year span I wouldn't agree that its anymore uncertain. 10 years, 12 years? Sure.
The "one and done" or even 2 and done is a different puzzle to put together. And the best in the game right now miss on that puzzle more often than they hit it. Ive mentioned several times is not the strength of every coach. I don't believe it's coach Barnes strength and don't believe in that short of a run makes all that much difference.

If he jumps he'll probably walk away with more retirement money but I don't think it changes his championship chances all that much.

Solid assessment.

I just wonder if Barnes is antsy to win a title and is willing to change his style in the closing years on his career.

Solid assessment.

I just wonder if Barnes is antsy to win a title and is willing to change his style in the closing years on his career.

Lots of unanswered questions here and if he takes the job or stays it will answer some but may be not all of them.

Cal gets most of the talk when it comes to elite talent, "one and dones" for good reason. He's at a place where you have the option to do it that way. I think that fits Cal and his strengths and personality and over an extended period of time will get you some results. But the big prize requires a lot of working parts (even the more talented ones) fitting together just right and at the right time. History shows its not easy even for the best at it.

I think Barnes style would need some adjusting to make that work and even then it takes time to figure that out the way the best coaches have. Thats something he doesn't have a lot of.

If Rick Barnes leaves for UCLA I think it will probably be because of a beef or hard feelings with Phil Fulmer and Tennessee

If he leaves its because UCLA just offered too much to turn down and or he just feels like its his best last chance. (Something Im not sure matters unless he's willing to take an 8-10 year run at it)

I don't think it will have anything to do with ill will toward Fulmer or UT.

VN Store

Back