Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4) Coming March 2020.

Looks good. If they wanted to do action combat, they should've got Platinum. Actually looking more foward to FF8 remaster for Switch tho. Either way, I think SE won E3.

That zoom out of Midgar was jaw dropping. Sucks that this will be episodic but once the entire game is out I think this will be a strong candidate for one of the best games ever.

FFVII is already a masterpiece and if they can faithfully recreate it/reimagine it in modern 3D graphics it will be probably one of the greatest accomplishments in gaming history.

I'm also a huge fan of all the character designs. Everyone looks as they should IMO. They even sound about right. Barrett is a little over the top but is it possible to imagine his voice as anything but almost cartoonishly gruff based on his dialogue?

Reactions: mrmax86
That zoom out of Midgar was jaw dropping. Sucks that this will be episodic but once the entire game is out I think this will be a strong candidate for one of the best games ever.

FFVII is already a masterpiece and if they can faithfully recreate it/reimagine it in modern 3D graphics it will be probably one of the greatest accomplishments in gaming history.

I'm also a huge fan of all the character designs. Everyone looks as they should IMO. They even sound about right. Barrett is a little over the top but is it possible to imagine his voice as anything but almost cartoonishly gruff based on his dialogue?

The episodic thing is weird but if each episode truly is the length of entire other FF game then I'm okay with it. Thats abosultely insane. This game is going to be so fleshed out.

Really excited for this one. Chrono Trigger got me started into the world of RPGs and VII sealed the deal. Can't wait to dive into this.

Have they released any info on what traveling between towns/locations will be like? Will the "overworld" just be an open world?

Have they released any info on what traveling between towns/locations will be like? Will the "overworld" just be an open world?
I don't think so...I wouldn't be surprised if you stay in Midgar the whole first volume.

Confirmed, per Yoshinori Kitase: Final Fantasy 7 Remake's first episode just covers Midgar: "To do the whole story was going to be huge" | GamesRadar+

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake developers are still deciding how to do the rest

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake's version of Midgar looked so, so good when Square Enix showed off a chunk of it at E3 2019 - the kind of place you could spend hours in, exploring every single city street. Good news, I guess, because the entire first chapter of the episodic game will take place solely within the sprawling dystopia's city limits.
The original Final Fantasy 7 only spent its early hours within Midgar before booting players out into the wider world. It was one of those formative 'Oh crap, look at the size of this game' moments, like when you emerge into Hyrule Field for the first time in Ocarina of Time.
GameSpot attended an interview with FF7 Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase where he was frank about the way his team is approaching the massive task in front of them, and what it means for each individual installment in this segmented remake.
"We can't reveal that many details about this, but just to give you a bit of background on it, before we actually started working on this, we knew obviously it was going to be a large amount of content," Kitase said via a translator. "To do the whole story was going to be huge. And then when we actually did start planning out the plot for the first game, it hit us again that this is going to be a huge amount of content.
"At that point, we decided we're going to focus this game on Midgar and what happened in Midgar. And unfortunately, we can't say anything more about the future games after that, because we don't know ourselves, really. We really are still fleshing out that process and fleshing out what we're going to do for the second game in the project, and what kind of story is going to be in that, so we really can't tell you."
Square Enix has confirmed that the first part of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be a full-sized game of its own, which means it's building out what was originally a few hours of content into dozens. Even if it hits all the same story beats, that will give the developers ample room to fill out the world. It also means that, if each part of FF7's original story is similarly expanded, we'll probably be ready for the final showdown with Sephiroth sometime by the mid-22nd century.

The episodic thing gives me pause on this game. I'll reserve judgement until I see how much content is in each episode. Hopefully SE doesn't pull an EA and milk the property into oblivion.

I don't think so...I wouldn't be surprised if you stay in Midgar the whole first volume.

Confirmed, per Yoshinori Kitase: Final Fantasy 7 Remake's first episode just covers Midgar: "To do the whole story was going to be huge" | GamesRadar+

Yeah I know it's episodic and the first release is confined to Midgar. But the game will expand beyond that. There's no way they will end it there. Just wondering how leaving Midgar and exploring everything else will work. I'd actually like to see a modern version of an "overworld" and not even worry so much about making it truly open world. I think that would be a good compromise to streamline development and make this thing not take 10 years to be fully developed and released.

CDPR would argue

They didn't have a conference. In terms of E3 showcases go, here's the order in which I would rank them...

1. Nintendo
2. Square/Enix
3. Microsoft
4. Ubisoft
5. Bethesda
6. Google
7. EA

In terms of best games shown, here's my top choices...

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
3. Luigi's Mansion 3
4. Doom Eternal
5. Watchdogs Legion

Last edited:
Reactions: UTK
CDPR would argue

Cyberpunk 2077 is no doubt probably the best looking game coming out, but I think FF7s E3 Showcase was better than Cyberpunk. You didn't really see anything on Cyberpunk other than a cool actor is in it. Lol. So I think FF7 won E3 but Cyberpunk will be one of the best games ever made. Mark my words.

Really looks like they're going all-in on this remake. Honeybee Inn being included gives me a lot of hope for it. A mostly 1:1 remake would be incredible.

Reactions: MemphisVol04

VN Store

Back