Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4) Coming March 2020.

SE sent out a statement saying that each "episode" of the remake will be a full game with a beginning middle and end.

:

It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.

These will not be 5 hour episodes like Tell Tale games. They will be full sized games. I guess that makes it a little easier to swallow. Apparently Square has huge ambitions for this and are planning to add a lot more to this than simply remaking the original game. I'm still interested in this.

SE sent out a statement saying that each "episode" of the remake will be a full game with a beginning middle and end.

These will not be 5 hour episodes like Tell Tale games. They will be full sized games. I guess that makes it a little easier to swallow. Apparently Square has huge ambitions for this and are planning to add a lot more to this than simply remaking the original game. I'm still interested in this.

I feel like most people would have preferred an update to the graphics. Interesting to see what happens. I just wish it was turn based.

I feel like most people would have preferred an update to the graphics. Interesting to see what happens. I just wish it was turn based.

I can understand why Square is moving away from it. They don't just want to sell this to nostalgic 30-somethings who played the original on PS1. They want this to appeal to as many people as possible and in 2015 it's all about real time combat. As long as I can still cast the awesome summons like Knights of the Round I'm good! I'm just looking forward to being in that universe again and playing as those characters. I'll bet the first game takes place almost entirely in Midgar.

Here's a nice little trip down memory lane for those who might be old enough to remember.

These are early renders of the Final Fantasy game that Squaresoft was developing for the Nintendo 64. However the project was scrapped and development moved over to the Playstation once Square caught wind of Nintendo sticking with cartridges instead of moving to CD-ROM and what eventually became Final Fantasy 7.

ff64-6.gif

ff7j-2.gif

hqdefault.jpg

ff7j-5--article_image.jpg

finalfantasy641.jpg

This should be be like the easiest gaming decision in the world. This isn't hard. How are they effing this up so much? Fans have been asking for this for years.

Just re-make the stupid game. As it was with no stupid episodes or new combat system.

I'd buy a PS4 just for this if they'd do it right. But they're f##king it up.

The episodic part is stupid. But sooo glad they are changing the combat. Seriously. Remakes done right not only make it same game with better graphics...thats boring. Just go play the already existing version. A legit remake adds stuff and mixes things up somewhat while still capturing the spirit of the old game. And turn based combat is boring as hell. I love the story of FFVII but playing it is a chore these days. Jmo.

Reactions: Volwark
The episodic part is stupid. But sooo glad they are changing the combat. Seriously. Remakes done right not only make it same game with better graphics...thats boring. Just go play the already existing version. A legit remake adds stuff and mixes things up somewhat while still capturing the spirit of the old game. And turn based combat is boring as hell. I love the story of FFVII but playing it is a chore these days. Jmo.

The combat being changed bothers me less than if they screw up the music and story. I just hope it still has some depth with Materia and all its various combinations. I really hated how dumbed down FF13 was (I did like its music though, but that is all I can remember liking). I enjoyed Type-0's battle system; it was good combination of real-time with strategy. The FF15 demo that came with it is awkward at first, but I can get behind that style in a FF7 remake.

I'm sorry my friend.... but you are not a true RPG'er.

Turn-based battle is the most artistic form of battle system in all of gaming. Anyone can hack 'n slash. True turn-based fighting requires patience, strategy, the ability to think 3 moves ahead, etc.

Reactions: 3 people

Turn-based battle is the most artistic form of battle system in all of gaming. Anyone can hack 'n slash. True turn-based fighting requires patience, strategy, the ability to think 3 moves ahead, etc.

Totally agree. I really hate to see that this won't remain turn based.

I just hope they keep the world map and individual towns intact. Plus all the sidequests.

True. If you wanted to play hack n' slash action RPGs, there are tons available.

I just hope they keep the world map and individual towns intact. Plus all the sidequests.

I think it will be more open world like 15 is going to be. I don't see a scenario where Cloud is walking around on a flat map where you are randomly thrown into battles.

I have a hunch that this will be a 3 part series that will be broken down similar to the 3 disks of the original game. I'm willing to bet the first game will take place pretty much entirely in Midgar and the game will end where disk 1 ended, which was them escaping Midgar.

Last edited:
I think it will be more open world like 15 is going to be. I don't see a scenario where Cloud is walking around on a flat map where you are randomly thrown into battles.

I have a hunch that this will be a 3 part series that will be broken down similar to the 3 disks of the original game. I'm willing to bet the first game will take place pretty much entirely in Midgar and the game will end where disk 1 ended, which was them escaping Midgar.

Yeah, that's what I meant. An overworld, which in this game would mean open-world. I reallllllly don't want them to go full episodic and completely cut out the traversal between towns/dungeons.

Half the fun of FFVII is taking on the sidequests, especially the Gold Chocobo/Knights of the Round materia quest.

Yeah, that's what I meant. An overworld, which in this game would mean open-world. I reallllllly don't want them to go full episodic and completely cut out the traversal between towns/dungeons.

Half the fun of FFVII is taking on the sidequests, especially the Gold Chocobo/Knights of the Round materia quest.

I don't think that will be the case. From what I've read, Square is expanding on the original game, not cutting it down, hence the reason they are spreading it out over multiple games. These aren't episodes like a TellTale game. These will be fully fleshed out games with ADDED content and features from the original.

I can't remember the last time a numbered Final Fantasy had an overworld map you could walk on. 10, 12, and 13 just had you choose the town and you'd be there. Never played 11, and 14 seemed more open world from what I got through it. I guess 9 and Type 0 were the last ones.

Completely agreed. Turn based was extremely fun. Hack n slash is boring for me. Just hitting one or two buttons endlessly gets old after 5 min.

I remember trying to time my cure spells. Cussing when I timed it wrong and it was cast before the boss attacked.

This thread makes me want to dig out my ps1 and play it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Final Fantasy VII Remake Team Elaborates on Changes, Confirms Cross-Dressing Cloud

In interviews with Dengeki Online and Famitsu on December 7, Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura and producer Yoshinori Kitase elaborated on the remake's multi-title split, the battle system, and the changes in the game's story. Nomura also confirmed that the remake's scenario retains the cross-dressing Cloud from the original, although the HD designs have not been done yet. CyberConnect2 is collaborating with Square Enix on development.

Splitting the Game into Multiple Parts

Regarding the decision to split the remake into a multi-part series, Nomura stated that "There will be parts that have to be removed, but there will be a significant number of added scenes as well. We decided that it has to be split into multiple titles to be a 'full volume' remake." Kitase added that they had "only shown Sector 1 and Sector 8, and if we made the entire game in that quality, one title wouldn't be enough."

Character Designs

In the Famitsu interview, Nomura said that players would also be able to explore areas such as the city of Midgar, and go to places that they previously could not in the original game. He also stated that character designer Roberto Ferrari worked on the character designs for Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie, who appeared in the latest trailer (viewed below). Nomura also commented on Barret's new character design, mentioning that this is how Barret would look in a more realistic setting, and that he had planned for redesigns for some of the characters from the beginning.

Battle System

Commenting on the game's battle system, Nomura stated that "The battle's speed and tempo will allow players to play without getting stressed out, somewhat in the vein of Dissidia Final Fantasy. In terms of the degree of action, it will be less than Dissidia Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and will still require knowledge of the system and strategizing." When asked what key components of the original game's battle system would carry over to the new game, Nomura answered the Active Time Battle Gauge and Limit Breaks, but declined to elaborate on how exactly the old systems would be used in the remake. In the Famitsu interview, Nomura also said that having the ATB Gauge turn red would be important.

Sony hadposted a video with the game's producer Yoshinori Kitase on December 6 where Kitase explained that the game will not be "completely action-based," but that it will have "more of that element and real-time than the previous game."

Story Changes

When talking about the changes in the story, Nomura said that "Those who've played the original game will know the important points of the story inside and out, but we're making the story in such a way that it will still surprise those people." Kitase further said that they are "making adjustments to the story because we still want fans of the original to get excited."

Regarding the recently revealed trailer, Kitase stated that every scene in the trailer where the camera shows a third-person view behind Cloud is actual gameplay and not pre-rendered.

Final Fantasy VII Remake will debut first on PlayStation 4. Tetsuya Nomura is returning to direct the game, and Kazushige Nojima is also returning to writing the scenario. Square Enix is developing the game using Unreal Engine 4.

Wish they would remake VI in the style of VII (if that makes sense).

VI is still my all time favorite

The new combat will almost certainly not be "hack and slash". A lot of modern JRPGs combat systems have evolved from traditional turn based. You have control of the character but yet its still got turn based elements and strategy. You can't just mash buttons. Its not going to be a hack and slash. Its just an evovled combat system that feels more natural. Whether I'm a true RPGer or not I still enjoy FFVII but stating my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back