Film Study of Harrison Bailey

I’m not saying it’ll happen but just some facts to prove that guys can improve later in their career:

Joe Burrow 2018
57.8%, 16 tds, 5 ints, 133 rating

JG 2019
59.1%, 16 tds, 8 ints, 144 rating

Granted Burrow had less game snaps before his breakout season but I very much disagree with the notion that a player can’t improve dramatically from one year to the next.
Did you really just compare Joe Burrow and JG? One of the biggest differences between the two and why Burrow excelled was pocket awareness, the ability to look off DB's and seeing more than his first read. Burrow processes reads and the game much more quickly. JG lacks that and much more. Burrow suffered year one new team, new receivers. Once he built continuity and trust, well we saw what happened. It is JG's mental approach and nuances of the game that will prevent him from ever being top tier.

Reactions: KBVol
Did you really just compare Joe Burrow and JG? One of the biggest differences between the two and why Burrow excelled was pocket awareness, the ability to look off DB's and seeing more than his first read. Burrow processes reads and the game much more quickly. JG lacks that and much more. Burrow suffered year one new team, new receivers. Once he built continuity and trust, well we saw what happened. It is JG's mental approach and nuances of the game that will prevent him from ever being top tier.

I compared factual stats of 2 different players, yes. I could have labeled them Player A and Player B. Point is, guys can improve one year to the next.

In no way, shape, or form do I think JG even sniffs the year that Burrow had. I just don’t buy into the camp who think he can’t improve. That was my whole point.

JG was also in a new scheme last year. So you’d have to think another year in the same system and there would be some improvement.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You’re 100% right. Stewart was the fan favorite early on because when he got a chance to play, he just looked physically better than Peyton. More mobility, stronger arm, just better athletically. What we didn’t know however, is that Peyton was light years ahead of him in terms of understanding and executing the offense. Hence, why Peyton became Peyton and why Stewart quickly transferred to TAM after his freshman year and pretty much never was heard from again in any significant way.

Vol nation was very vocal on the Nashville airwaves about their love of Stewart and some even then would spout off about how Manning only got the job because Fulmer and Archie were buds, etc. It would have been a Gruden thread on here back in the day! I remember talking my best Vol buddy off the ledge. He thought Brandon Stewart was heads and shoulders better than Peyton Manning mostly because of the eye test. Stewart was athletic and built, as someone said, like Shuler who was a fan favorite because he could run or pass and was pretty effective at both. Manning looked like a stork when he ran. But in that Mississippi State game he made a throw across the field for maybe a 10 or 15 yard gain, but he threw it 40 yards with some zip on it. Ball got there before the DB could. It was an NFL throw that the average college QB couldn't make. That eye test was an eye opener for many Vol fans.

The other thing I remember is Stewart's Mom getting into the debate a little, which is always a bad idea. Ask Jalen Hurd's Mom and step Dad. A year or two later, SI had an article on A&M and Brandon Stewart said something along the lines that knew he was the 2nd string qb at Tennessee after a few practices that freshman year. Fulmer alludes to Manning's progression in The Book of Manning as 'very, very fast'. That first snap at the UCLA game was like 2 weeks after they had put pads on. All this to say, that even the GOAT had to go through a process to be an effective and efficient QB in the SEC. Having a spring practice under his belt will certainly help HB, but he's still a freshman and has to develop as he goes. Branndon Stewart was the #5 ranked qb coming out of high school and Peyton Manning was #1 and they were both supposed to redshirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Vol nation was very vocal on the Nashville airwaves about their love of Stewart and some even then would spout off about how Manning only got the job because Fulmer and Archie were buds, etc. It would have been a Gruden thread on here back in the day! I remember talking my best Vol buddy off the ledge. He thought Brandon Stewart was heads and shoulders better than Peyton Manning mostly because of the eye test. Stewart was athletic and built, as someone said, like Shuler who was a fan favorite because he could run or pass and was pretty effective at both. Manning looked like a stork when he ran. But in that Mississippi State game he made a throw across the field for maybe a 10 or 15 yard gain, but he threw it 40 yards with some zip on it. Ball got there before the DB could. It was an NFL throw that the average college QB couldn't make. That eye test was an eye opener for many Vol fans.

The other thing I remember is Stewart's Mom getting into the debate a little, which is always a bad idea. Ask Jalen Hurd's Mom and step Dad. A year or two later, SI had an article on A&M and Brandon Stewart said something along the lines that knew he was the 2nd string qb at Tennessee after a few practices that freshman year. Fulmer alludes to Manning's progression in The Book of Manning as 'very, very fast'. That first snap at the UCLA game was like 2 weeks after they had put pads on. All this to say, that even the GOAT had to go through a process to be and effective and efficient QB in the SEC. Having a spring practice under his belt will certainly help HB, but he's still a freshman and has to develop as he goes.
To add to the objectivity in your viewpoint. Trevor Lawrence was also a Freshman for Clemson and don't forget about Jake Fromm's freshman year, taking the bulldogs to the CFP. The days of saying Freshman cannot be ready are gone. It is an archaic way of thinking that can possibly hinder a team in today's college football. A good example, Justin Fields. Nobody can argue Fields wasn't better than Fromm and if UGA had fields this year their efforts might have looked a little different. Kids are allowed to transfer these days and if you have a talent, no matter how raw, sitting behind a subpar QB don't be surprised if and when they up an transfer.

Lawrence nor Fromm started in game 1. They got a few snaps and alot more practice field time before they became full time starters. The 2nd string guy has always been likely to transfer. That's always been the case too. Stewart transferred, Ratay transferred, Suggs, etc. The NFL draft rules changed the prospects of redshirting guys more than anything else. My point is there is still a process of development that has to take place. Getting in a spring practice accelerates that. They still have to be able to read college defenses and change into a good play from a bad play and those intangibles only come from practice and experience.

VN Store

Back