Film Study of Harrison Bailey

I just hope he is hitting the weights and the playbook harder than ever before. The Vols must have good QB play this year to win the games they should and the ones they shouldn't.

I have lost faith in JG and would rather burn a few games and give Harrison Bailey some reps. In case you forgot it is what we did with Manning. Not intentionally but Colquitt got injured on the 7th play of the very first game and Peyton had to step in. It really was not until Washington State, week #4, that Peyton started showing any potential (Florida beat the crap out of him 31-0 in week 2 and I think got in his head at that point. He never played well against Florida after that). By the end of the season he was who we know him today. Let Harrison play, lose to Oklahoma (who cares at this point), and maybe by the time we get to the SEC he is growing into the role.

I think we are going to see a Kelly Bryant/Trevor Lawrence type of transition over. Bailey will get a handful of series the first few games and eventually JG will be on the bench. The move could be expedited if JG collapses against OU or FL.

I have lost faith in JG and would rather burn a few games and give Harrison Bailey some reps. In case you forgot it is what we did with Manning. Not intentionally but Colquitt got injured on the 7th play of the very first game and Peyton had to step in. It really was not until Washington State, week #4, that Peyton started showing any potential (Florida beat the crap out of him 31-0 in week 2 and I think got in his head at that point. He never played well against Florida after that). By the end of the season he was who we know him today. Let Harrison play, lose to Oklahoma (who cares at this point), and maybe by the time we get to the SEC he is growing into the role.
You play the best guy. If its real close you play the younger guy. You never give up wins now for possible wins in the future.

He should be more developed than the average freshman. He has been getting high level coach since middle school.

I like where ya'lls mind is at but I am looking at it more as a chest game. Odds are good we beat Charlotte and Furman with whoever at QB (insert Georgia State comment here). Oklahoma will most likely be a tough win even if we have an experienced QB like JG at the helm. That could be 3 nice experience games for Harrison before we hit the SEC schedule. I am confident we have given JG the chance to prove himself and he is not the guy to get us to the next level.

I remember Manning first game as a starter, a lot of Vol fans said he couldn't play and was over rated, he had a bad game, but the rest is history, no matter how good he is, he is a freshman and will suffer growing pains, we the fans have to have faith in coach JP, and when HB is ready to take us to the next level coach will start him, i don't see him starting game one, but if JG makes bone head plays he will be the starter sooner than later.

I'm hoping that JG finally gets it together and has a solid season. Harrison Bailey will be something special.
I think JG plays tight' he is afraid of making a mistake and coach jumping in his face, if you go back and look he plays better in the hurry up, he doesn't have time to think, sometimes he thinks to much and try's to change the play to a better play and the play is no good, he should just trust the play call and run it, but i think he has top out as a QB, he will have that one game where he look's very good and then follow it up with a stinker, i think that is what he is just a average to below average SEC QB.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
Let's not revise history. Peyton didn't start the Florida game. Helton did. His first start was on the road against Mississippi State which we also lost and even after that Brandon Stewart got ample reps almost to the end of the season. So much so, that the drum beating for Stewart over Manning on radio talk shows was significant. He probably does go pro after 3 seasons if he redshirts in 94, but Colquitt was the guy until he got injured. You never throw away a season on purpose for qb reps. I hope HB is the next coming too, but I don't see him starting game 1.

Last edited:
Manning barely played vs Florida his freshman year, so they didn’t “beat the crap out of HIM”....Todd Helton was the starter, Manning barely got any playing time late in mop up duty. Peyton played a lot vs Miss State due to injury and he didn’t start until week 5 vs Washington State iirc.

I like where ya'lls mind is at but I am looking at it more as a chest game. Odds are good we beat Charlotte and Furman with whoever at QB (insert Georgia State comment here). Oklahoma will most likely be a tough win even if we have an experienced QB like JG at the helm. That could be 3 nice experience games for Harrison before we hit the SEC schedule. I am confident we have given JG the chance to prove himself and he is not the guy to get us to the next level.

I get where you’re coming from. It’s early March, but I’m confident that the game plan for OU will be ball control and run, run, run, play action, run some more. If we have a chance to win, and I think we can win, then you have to play the best guy available. If it’s JG it’s JG . If it’s HB it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I get where you’re coming from. It’s early March, but I’m confident that the game plan for OU will be ball control and run, run, run, play action, run some more. If we have a chance to win, I think we can win, then you have to play the best guy available. If it’s JG it’s JG . If it’s HB it is.
If JG is actually the best QB we have, we’re beyond screwed.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought Manning played a lot in that Florida game. I was a Freshman in '94 and remember being so excited for my first game in Neyland just to watch us get crushed by Florida. I did go to the Washington State game which I believe was our second home game that season and that is when Peyton started taking command of the team. I guess I blurred the two together in my mind.

Reactions: VolinMC and KBVol
If JG is actually the best QB we have, we’re beyond screwed.

We’re all in the same boat here . I’ve expressed many times what I think of JG and how much he’s limited. I’m hoping if he’s going to be the one playing he will at least have improved some on a lot of things. I don’t know what to think about turning Bailey loose in Norman unless he’s substantially better than JG. I’d also hate wreck his confidence by throwing him to the wolves .

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought Manning played a lot in that Florida game. I was a Freshman in '94 and remember being so excited for my first game in Neyland just to watch us get crushed by Florida. I did go to the Washington State game which I believe was our second home game that season and that is when Peyton started taking command of the team. I guess I blurred the two together in my mind.
Easy to do. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve remembered something one way and after some research, realized I had it only partially right or not right at all. Peyton got 1 series vs UCLA in game 1, didn’t play at all or very little in the next 2 games vs Georgia and Florida respectively, played a lot vs Miss State after Helton was injured, then started game 5 vs Washington State and didn’t look back, started the rest of the year and won SEC offensive freshman of the year.

Bailey had scholarship offers before he even threw a pass in high school..Alabama..Florida..Georgia..Tennessee..

VN Store

Back