FGF says that SC is holding a 10 AM press conference to fire Muschamp

SC has unrealistic expectations. A few good years from Spurriers time and they think they will forever be a 10 win team. I don't see them hiring a better coach than Muschamp.

SC has unrealistic expectations. A few good years from Spurriers time and they think they will forever be a 10 win team. I don't see them hiring a better coach than Muschamp.
Both of the big South Carolina fans I know have that same opinion of Muschamp, but I guess they are outliers in their own fanbase. One of them in particular has been saying for years that 1) they were incredibly lucky to get Spurrier in the first place and 2) the 3 11-win seasons in a row was an absurd achievement at South Carolina that will never happen again.

Their fans have pretty high expectations, but it isn't like they don't have losses they can't be reasonably upset with. North Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee, App St. They are staring 4-8 right in the face.

Muschamp's results at South Carolina are consistent with his time at Florida. What did they expect? That he was going to win more at South Carolina, than he did at Florida? That is crazy.

Muschamp's results at South Carolina are consistent with his time at Florida. What did they expect? That he was going to win more at South Carolina, than he did at Florida? That is crazy.
Florida and South Carolina aren't the same job and don't have the same expectations. You're expected to win SEC titles and compete for national titles at Florida. South Carolina wants 7-9 wins. He fell massively short of expectations at Florida and I think has only modestly fallen behind them at South Carolina.

Honestly, I think he's done a much better job at South Carolina than he did at Florida. He was only 2 games above .500 (17-15) in SEC play at Florida. That's pathetic with the resources that program has. He's a game below .500 (15-16) at South Carolina. They want to do better than that, but don't expect to do waaaay better than that.

Florida and South Carolina aren't the same job and don't have the same expectations. You're expected to win SEC titles and compete for national titles at Florida. South Carolina wants 7-9 wins. He fell massively short of expectations at Florida and I think has only modestly fallen behind them at South Carolina.

Honestly, I think he's done a much better job at South Carolina than he did at Florida. He was only 2 games above .500 (17-15) in SEC play at Florida. That's pathetic with the resources that program has. He's a game below .500 (15-16) at South Carolina. They want to do better than that, but don't expect to do waaaay better than that.
I agree with you, but you do have to take into account how much Clemson's success has added to their discontent.

Good points. SC admin, realistically, only expects to be competitive, the occasional big upset that they are capable of, and to win the givens. A coach that would keep them around 7-10 wins plus consistent bowls appearances, would be very successful. Columbia is not a destination city for a recruit. In all fairness, they had Spurrier, the best of the best. And that was as good as they got. Championships were not going to happen there even with him, even Holtz. In all fairness, Muschamp not doing terrible for a historically sub-par program. The Holtz/Spurrier eras were the pinnacle of SC football, likely to never be seen again.

Good points. SC admin, realistically, only expects to be competitive, the occasional big upset that they are capable of, and to win the givens. A coach that would keep them around 7-10 wins plus consistent bowls appearances, would be very successful. Columbia is not a destination city for a recruit. In all fairness, they had Spurrier, the best of the best. And that was as good as they got. Championships were not going to happen there even with him, even Holtz. In all fairness, Muschamp not doing terrible for a historically sub-par program. The Holtz/Spurrier eras were the pinnacle of SC football, likely to never be seen again.
...but why is Clemson a destination city for recruits? It only has a population of 17,102 people, with very little diversity (82% white and 7% black). It is located upstate; nowhere near the coastline. Also, the closest major cities are Atlanta (about a 109 miles away) and Charlotte (about 110 miles away). The nearest interstate is I-85, which is 40 miles away and the nearest airport is Greenville/ Spartanburg, which is about 45 miles away. So, basically, it is a little town in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure that South Carolina's administration is thinking that they should be able to recruit on their level.

Having said that, it doesn't look like Will Muschamp is being fired today. This thread jumped the gun.

...but why is Clemson a destination city for recruits? It only has a population of 17,102 people, with very little diversity (82% white and 7% black). It is located upstate; nowhere near the coastline. Also, the closest major cities are Atlanta (about a 109 miles away) and Charlotte (about 110 miles away). The nearest interstate is I-85, which is 40 miles away and the nearest airport is Greenville/ Spartanburg, which is about 45 miles away. So, basically, it is a little town in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure that South Carolina's administration is thinking that they should be able to recruit on their level.

Having said that, it doesn't look like Will Muschamp is being fired today. This thread jumped the gun.

Don't let the stats you quoted fool you. I lived in the area on the GA side about 30 miles away for 16 years. There is a huge difference in Columbia and Clemson. Upstate SC is a very nice area. Clemson itself is not big, but it is a very nice small town, and the University is one of the nicest campuses around, not to mention a well respected degree when you graduate. Diversity is well rounded in the general area, though maybe not so much in Clemson itself. Same on GA side. Get out of Hartwell and north of 85, and the rest of the Northeast corner not very diverse. Anything north and east of Hartwell and Commerce on into the Clemson area is similar to being on the Plateau in Middle TN. With the arrival of BMW in the mid-90's after the textile exodus, Upstate SC has become a booming technology and automotive corridor.

Reactions: VolNExile and hog88
Don't let the stats you quoted fool you. I lived in the area on the GA side about 30 miles away for 16 years. There is a huge difference in Columbia and Clemson. Upstate SC is a very nice area. Clemson itself is not big, but it is a very nice small town, and the University is one of the nicest campuses around, not to mention a well respected degree when you graduate. Diversity is well rounded in the general area, though maybe not so much in Clemson itself. Same on GA side. Get out of Hartwell and north of 85, and the rest of the Northeast corner not very diverse. Anything north and east of Hartwell and Commerce on into the Clemson area is similar to being on the Plateau in Middle TN. With the arrival of BMW in the mid-90's after the textile exodus, Upstate SC has become a booming technology and automotive corridor.
That information was taken from World Population Review and I notice that you didn't dispute any of it. What you are saying is, that it is a small town in the middle of nowhere... but it is a nice, small town in the middle of nowhere.

That information was taken from World Population Review and I notice that you didn't dispute any of it. What you are saying is, that it is a small town in the middle of nowhere... but it is a nice, small town in the middle of nowhere.

Yes. But, the only thing I would dispute is that it's not exactly the middle of nowhere. You can't really tell where Clemson ends and Greenville or Anderson starts. And there's very few patches of nothing in any direction except North or West. With the coaching staff in place there, it's not a hard sell.

Muschump is one of those guys who is a decent coordinator. But, not head coaching material.

I have no clue why the cocks hired him after seeing his work at gatorland.

Reactions: onevol74

Thread jump...must have been Gamecock fans" wishful thinking.

Clemson is a nice place. It has tons of outdoor activities...lakes, hiking, mountain biking, whitewater sports, fishing, you name it. Mountains, waterfalls...in many ways very much like East Tennessee.

The athletes are the center of attention everywhere they go. Their football facilities outdo even Oregon's.

Academically, Clemson is a Top 25-30 school, depending on whose ratings you pick.

It's not far to Atlanta or Charlotte for big city concerts and pro sports without the hassles of big city life. It's even closer to Asheville and all that town has to offer.

Most importantly, they gave an elite football team with a fun, winning culture and coaches that make great recruits want to play there. They also develop walk-ons into NFL 3rd round draft choices line Hunter Renfrow.

UF fired Muschamp following a home overtime loss to South Carolina.

In typical Muschamp fashion, UF couldn’t hold on to a 7-point lead in regulation, allowing SC to score a late TD forcing overtime.

South Carolina was so impressed by all this they hired Muschamp.
😂😂😂

My wife and her family are Gamecock fans and I told them from day 1 when Muschamp was hired, that it was a terrible choice. If he couldnt win at UF with all the talent there in-state, what makes you think he can at USCjr with the lack of talent in SC compared to FL? Muschamps problem is that he is so focused on the defensive side of things that he needs a GREAT OC and he just hasnt had it at UF or USCjr

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
My wife and her family are Gamecock fans and I told them from day 1 when Muschamp was hired, that it was a terrible choice. If he couldnt win at UF with all the talent there in-state, what makes you think he can at USCjr with the lack of talent in SC compared to FL? Muschamps problem is that he is so focused on the defensive side of things that he needs a GREAT OC and he just hasnt had it at UF or USCjr
Muschamp isn't head coaching material for a lot of reasons. I don't think he has the appropriate temperament for it. He makes a good DC, though. It wouldn't surprise me if his next stop is at Bama. Saban's defense hasn't been it's usual self this year. Saban has a history with Muschamp and we know how much he loves to hire former head coaches.

Clemson's facilities also blow South Carolina's out of the water.

You ever been to Williams-Brice? Nice stadium, but it isn't as nice as some others, and it's located away from the city/campus in the middle of what looks like an old industrial site. It isn't the greatest setting in the world for a big time college football game, especially relative to other places in the SEC or Clemson.

Also, South Carolina is basically void of any football success or history before Spurrier got there. Clemson at least did have a title in the 80s and has consistently fielded competitive teams over the years before Dabo took them to another level. Clemson's "brand" has always been better than South Carolina's.

Thread jump...must have been Gamecock fans" wishful thinking.

Clemson is a nice place. It has tons of outdoor activities...lakes, hiking, mountain biking, whitewater sports, fishing, you name it. Mountains, waterfalls...in many ways very much like East Tennessee.

The athletes are the center of attention everywhere they go. Their football facilities outdo even Oregon's.

Academically, Clemson is a Top 25-30 school, depending on whose ratings you pick.

It's not far to Atlanta or Charlotte for big city concerts and pro sports without the hassles of big city life. It's even closer to Asheville and all that town has to offer.

Most importantly, they gave an elite football team with a fun, winning culture and coaches that make great recruits want to play there. They also develop walk-ons into NFL 3rd round draft choices line Hunter Renfrow.

Congrats on the win in Raleigh Saturday night Dabo. Where do you see the Tigers being ranked on Tuesday? I’ll hang up and listen.

Clemson will kick that ass in W-B in a few weeks and it will be over for the sweathog

Congrats on the win in Raleigh Saturday night Dabo. Where do you see the Tigers being ranked on Tuesday? I’ll hang up and listen.

I'm obviously not Dabo, but I did sleep at my house in the SC Low Country last night.

Clemson - #3 in the Tuesday playoff rankings. I don't see them losing to Wake, the bye week, SC, or the ACC Coastal winner.

They very well could win it all again this year, regardless of who they play. OSU probably matches them better than LSU or any 1-loss team.

VN Store

Back