Federal bill pushes for unrestricted NIL endorsements for NCAA athletes

A new federal bill introduced Thursday would make it illegal for the NCAA or other college sports associations to place any restrictions on the type or size of endorsements deals that college athletes could sign in the future.
Bill pushes for unrestricted NIL endorsements
Probably know they have the votes.
EA Sports has already announced a new game coming out.

A new federal bill introduced Thursday would make it illegal for the NCAA or other college sports associations to place any restrictions on the type or size of endorsements deals that college athletes could sign in the future.
Bill pushes for unrestricted NIL endorsements

Florida's law is effective this July. :eek: Pay to play is effectively here and the NCAA has no rules or guidance as to how its handled. (tick tock)

They should have gotten ahead of the game.

Recruits and their parents are openingly putting a price tag now.

It’s great to have the government butting in to how private organizations govern themselves.

Well, I see nothing wrong with individual schools determining (generally) their own rules, but schools should not be bonding together to stop commerce.

The schools brought this on themselves, the financial fallout hasn't even hit yet.

You would have thought someone at the schools (NCAA mafia) would have woken up by now. Effectively players can receive money now without penalty to them or the schools, more or less... yet, no rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
Well, I see nothing wrong with individual schools determining (generally) their own rules, but schools should not be bonding together to stop commerce.

The schools brought this on themselves, the financial fallout hasn't even hit yet.
I’m not getting into this “stopping commerce” argument with you again.

I’m not getting into this “stopping commerce” argument with you again.

Its no different than what the mafia does, its not really an argument. That is why there is anti-trust laws, corruption laws, blacklist laws, etc. You appear to have an argument but I don't think anyone could logically follow it.

What they are doing is actually criminal conduct under existing law.

Good news (for them), they probably will never be criminally prosecuted, bad news, their profit centers are in the beginning stages of being going bye bye.

So hypothetically rich boosters could pay elite prospects 6 or even 7 figures to do some local car dealership ad if they pick that school. Local Gainesville car dealership commercial will feature the incoming Florida recruiting class every year and the recruits only appearance will be in the final scene surrounding a car waving for 5 seconds. A 5 million dollar budget to pay the recruits as 'actors'. This will be so shady.

some local car dealership ad .

Yeah, or just come over to their house and sign your John Hancock on a poster. Eventually, even those stupid enactments will have to be removed or not enforceable as there is no penalty for noncompliance.

Not sure why the State would be in the business regulating a non-public right(?) (California law to me is unconstitutional as to what it requires of the athlete)

Players (and families) are in the basically the open demanding money now.

I said like 4-6 years ago that the NCAA/schools should have been getting ahead of this, now its 146 days before its official effective date and they haven't done anything. :D

I would say part of the Florida bill could be unconstitutional but only the part that it declares scholarship players non-employees... that is usually done under common law or statutory framework.

New NIL Bill Targets Expansive Change for NCAA Athletes

The federal law, if it comes will probably blow it up even larger. Of course, if the Attorney General just enforced the existing laws all of this would have went away years ago.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back