Favorite "Vandy" Game Memories?

The 1998 game in Nashville. On the way to the game near the Parthenon, I saw Steve Hamer tailgating with some people, wearing a jersey. I got close and yelled "IT'S HAMER TIME!" and he gave me a high five.

Also in the game one play after Vols were well in control, we stuffed the Vandy RB in the backfield and picked him up and slammed him. The mostly UT crowd goes wild and the Vandy RB got up and made some sort of motion with his hands like "yeah yeah yeah whatever" and it made the crowd get even louder.

The 1998 game in Nashville. On the way to the game near the Parthenon, I saw Steve Hamer tailgating with some people, wearing a jersey. I got close and yelled "IT'S HAMER TIME!" and he gave me a high five.

Also in the game one play after Vols were well in control, we stuffed the Vandy RB in the backfield and picked him up and slammed him. The mostly UT crowd goes wild and the Vandy RB got up and made some sort of motion with his hands like "yeah yeah yeah whatever" and it made the crowd get even louder.

You're talking about Bill Duff, who body slammed a punk b-otch named Jared McGrath. I hate Vanderbilt.

Since every game we lost was an abomination, and since most of the wins vs these twerps were considered an obvious given? Even when Vandy actually had a few decent players, particularly under James Franklin? My favorites are anytime we beat them by more than 40 plus. During my 61 year lifetime at least.

Reactions: Vols1498
That was 1993 as VOLS crushed vandie 62-14. Andy Kelly hit Shazzon Bradley in the endzone (Rhea County & McMinn County) as Tennessee folks cheered.
Ah, yes. I thought so but was afraid to say it for sure. I recall now we made it a point to go to that game because it was Kelly's last at Neyland.

My sister graduated with him at Rhea. I think I saw every high school football game he ever played. In 86, the Rhea boys played a little defense too. I've no idea how many points Kelly led them to (a lot,) but the D gave up only 36 thru the whole regular season. But I digress.

Beat Vandy!

Do you remember what the final score was? Also, I believe we played in the Titans stadium in 2000 if that rings a bell.
The one I attended was in Titan's stadium, but I don't remember the score. I was distracted by an old girlfriend sitting right in front of us.

The one I attended was in Titan's stadium, but I don't remember the score. I was distracted by an old girlfriend sitting right in front of us.
It looks like we have only played Vanderbilt at Nissan Stadium twice, 2000 and 2002. 2000 was Travis Henry’s last year and I believe Cedric Houston was the RB in the 2002 game. 2000 we were up 28-6 but ended up only winning 28-26. 2002 we won 24-0. Casey Clausen was the QB both games so I know that probably doesn’t help. Sports Reference shows Jason Mitchell was a freshman in 2002 so maybe YouTube that game?

In my almost 65 years as a UT fan it is hard to pick a favorite....Been to games in the warm Fall sun under blue skies ....rain...cold rain...spitting snow...It was so windy one game the extra points barely made it to the crossbar and one didn't make it towards the south end zone inside Vandy stadium..... It was always the right of Thanksgiving weekend to attend the UT-Vandy game....it was a tradition.

I remember a day where I felt sorry for Vandy fans. You know there was a time where we beat them so consistently and so badly that you felt bad for local kids somewhat. Since the Jimmy Franks days though, if we score 100 pts in a quarter it’s still not a bad enough beating.

1974 I was 9 years old my dad took me and my brother to game at Vandy. My dad knew Larry Seivers dad so after game we got to meet Larry before they got on the bus. When the bus pulled off Stanley Morgan looked out the window at us and shot us a peace sign. We shot him one back. That was big time for us. I think the Vols tied them that day.
Both of Larry's parents were good people.

Thats my favorite too, mostly because it capped off an undefeated regular season, and guaranteed a slot in the BCS championship game. I was seated in the end zone with my mom and cousins who drove down from E Tennessee.

I used to pull for Vandy out of pity. Then they actually got cocky and arrogant during the Franklin years. Since then, now and forever I will hope the Vols annihilate their souls every year in every sport! Especially football!! I want to see an 80 on that scoreboard come Saturday, which UT could easily do if they wanted.
In the early 80s when George McIntyre was coaching Vandy, I would pull for them unless they were playing Tennessee. My dad introduced me to Coach Mac when he was HC at UT Martin. He always seemed like a class act. After he left, I truly could have cared less about Vandy. That feeling remains to this very moment.

Reactions: TennEddie
That's the game that someone caught Dooley on video slapping the Power T on the locker room ceiling and saying "If there's one thing Tennessee does, it's beat the s*** out of Vanderbilt.

And then they won 5 of the next 7. OOF.

There should never be a recording device in a locker room. The locker room should be extremely private.

1998 Tennessee had a home game at Dudley Field on their way to the National Championship. I have referred to Dudley as Neyland West ever since that day. Seriously, Vandy may have had 300 fans in their own stadium. Outside of player's families I believe every Vandy fan sold their tickets to Tennessee fans.

Reactions: EezyE

VN Store

Back