Favorite Single Play(s)

This is my favorite and I was there...
Holloway to Seivers two-point conversion against Clemson in 1974 to win the game 29-28...

Hell yes!
Gus Manning with the cig, and briefcase make the pic!
636405711755357610-050408seviers1.JPG

I would say Jennings hailmary catch and then probably 1 was Jennings beating tabor for six on a sluggo for 60 ... I was in the stands and called the shot three plays before... it was a n RPO and tabor bit hard and Jennings comes back to the huddle talking to Donna and two plays later... beautiful

Oh and any play where Berry pics it for 6...

Barnett sack against UF
Dobb nail boot
Daniel Lincoln game winner at SC and the radio meltdown afterwards
Gerald Riggs Jr game winner in Tiger Stadium

98 Florida, FL missed field goal. My dad and I were in xx2. Saw the wave of jumping fans start from the left side of the goal post to all over the stadium. My dad and I started jumping up and down hugging each other. My dad doesn't attend games anymore due to ringing in his ears and the pitch of the crowd noise makes it louder. One memory/play I will cherish forever.

Yes. Great one. In that same game how about Tee Martins scramble in overtime to get back in fg range so Hall could kick the winning fg. Al Wilson also had some great plays that game including a key fumble recovery. How about Shawn Bryson’s long TD run to get things started? How about the one handed interception by Deon Grant to halt a Florida drive. So many great plays that game. Does John Wards call of the missed fg count as a great play?

Reactions: VOLCENTS1985
Dale Carter’s 1990 2nd half opening kick 6 against the gators.

That is the one that I remember the most fondly from my youth. Gators roll in a highly touted upstart and get exposed. Sadly the rest of the series has went the opposite for Tennessee.

Floyd Miley block field goal return, ND '91. (Kudos to Aaron Hayden reference - to me, though, this is the play that started the comeback.)

I was boarding a flight to Europe and we were getting our butts kicked - that play was the last thing I got to see and a little consolation. There was no internet back then, and the European version of USA Today did not carry college football scores. I didn't know we had completed the miracle until a couple days later when the college football rankings came out and I realized somehow we came back and won. One of my top five all-time favorite UT games.

Floyd Miley block field goal return, ND '91. (Kudos to Aaron Hayden reference - to me, though, this is the play that started the comeback.)

I was boarding a flight to Europe and we were getting our butts kicked - that play was the last thing I got to see and a little consolation. There was no internet back then, and the European version of USA Today did not carry college football scores. I didn't know we had completed the miracle until a couple days later when the college football rankings came out and I realized somehow we came back and won. One of my top five all-time favorite UT games.

Greg Amslers hurdling a Norte dame defender was one of many favorites.. nice to look back at all the great vol moments. Hoping to get back there too.

This is my favorite and I was there...
Holloway to Seivers two-point conversion against Clemson in 1974 to win the game 29-28...
[/

I had a $5 ticket to see this game and was probably one of the best games I ever saw.

Reactions: MAD
Have not seen it mentioned but one of my all time favorites was 1983 Bama game when Jonathon Jones of Mumford Tennessee shot the after burners through the Tide defense to seal the win. He could make the field stand still while he ran.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
All good ones but Darrin Miller's interception of a pitchout for a touchdown against Iowa in 1987 at the Meadowlands will always be number 1 with me. I was at that game and the heat being reflected off that concrete field back into the stands almost melted me.

It was a long while before I was able to hear John Ward's call of that play. Still brings tears to my eyes.
I was watching that game in a pizza joint with several people. When Miller got hold of the ball, I started yelling "go" at the screen. Apparently, my volume increased the closer he got to the end zone and I completely embarrassed the people I was with. Oh well, GBO.

As the season is almost upon us, I find myself reflecting back on some of the most memorable plays. I can remember Powell "roaring down the sideline". I remember Cobb's awesome run against Auburn and I can remember Peerless Price's TD catch against FSU. Among others was a body slam of a Vandy running back and Dale Carter's second half kickoff return against Florida in '90.

I do have two plays that are, however, my favorite ones and cannot decide which is better. One is the juke move Tony Thompson put on a Mississippi State defender and the other is a juke move either Peerless or Marcus Nash (I think it was Peerless) had against a defender just after a catch on the left sideline. I want to say it was either against USCe or Arkansas.

What say ye Volnation; what is your top memorable play?

1983 Tennessee at Alabama. Johnny Jones goes on a 66 yard sprint late in the fourth quarter to beat the Tide 41-34.

I feel the same way. One of the top 3 games I attended.

There are a lot of great ones already mentioned. I will add this one:

"Victory formation on one." Last play of the 1999 Fiesta Bowl. Tee Martin, taking a knee.

Reactions: VOLCENTS1985
We lost the game in double overtime, but I will never forget the 2016 game at TAM when Malik Foreman walked down a breakaway runner and punched out the ball at the goal line for a touchback and kept the Vols alive.

At least my favorite picture of Air Dobbs diving across the end zone - his body flying - out of bounds, while he changes ball carrying hands to touch the goal thingy in bounds. He should have been wearing a cape!

VN Store

Back