Favorite/Most Despised Announcers

I miss the ESPN Saturday night Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge duo. I thought they were pretty good together.
TV only^^^

John and Bill for overall best.... and it ain't even close.

The worst- Beth Mowans and whoever eats ice cream sandwiches on air, during a broadcast. Gary Danielson is a punk

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711
Thanks all for adding to this thread. Im enjoying looking up “Best Calls by ________” videos on YouTube for many of the names I dont recognize. This is fun, and there are some really good ones.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Maybe we should stand up a poll - might be fun to see the results.

A post from Saturday got me thinking...who are your most and least favorite announcers over the years?

Personally, I'm a fan of the Greg McElroy/Joe Tessitore combo. Joe's voice is exciting and he seems even-keeld for both teams. Greg also seems fair to both sides and treats Vol fans respectfully.

I find Chris Fowler to be in the same league as Joe Tessitore (or I guess maybe it should be said, Tessitore is in the same class as Fowler) but Herbstreit is not as unbiased as the others. He's a bit of a baby and, even though he tries not to...he's a Ohio State homer.

I miss Brent Musberger - I know a lot of people dont' like him but to me - his is a voice of college football.

Gary Danielson is my least favorite ever. Whenever TN goes up against a ranked opponent, it's never because TN is playing well - it's always because the other team is doing something wrong. He's a jerk on the air through-and-through. I always turn his voice off and listen to the radio broadcast - even if they aren't matching up.

What say you guys?
I have always liked Tessitore. Gary and that Beth lady both make my ears bleed.

I miss Dave Neal and Dave Rowe. Maybe for the nostalgia and/or the dominating teams we had...
The "Dave's" get my vote as well. The "Tim's" (Brando and Brant) are a couple of others I really liked. And of course Ron Franklin.

As for dislikes, I've never really cared for Gus Johnson or Mark Jones, probably because it always seemed like the Vols lost whenever either of them were involved in the broadcast. On the radio side I've never cared for Munson or the Florida guy.

Worst one hands down anywhere right now - Beth Mowlins !!!!

She should be applying for a refund on whatever journalism / communications degree she spent money to get.
What she says can be good but the way she says it is awful; like a female HowArd CoSell.

I like Joe Tess and Brad Nessler. Sean McD is good too. Miss Musburger, Jackson, and Ron Franklin.

Dave Neal/Andre Ware make my ears bleed. Beth Mowins is terrible. Dont care for Fowler/Herbie. I think mostly the announcing these days is bad.

Reactions: Doberman
Maybe we should stand up a poll - might be fun to see the results.

A post from Saturday got me thinking...who are your most and least favorite announcers over the years?

Personally, I'm a fan of the Greg McElroy/Joe Tessitore combo. Joe's voice is exciting and he seems even-keeld for both teams. Greg also seems fair to both sides and treats Vol fans respectfully.

I find Chris Fowler to be in the same league as Joe Tessitore (or I guess maybe it should be said, Tessitore is in the same class as Fowler) but Herbstreit is not as unbiased as the others. He's a bit of a baby and, even though he tries not to...he's a Ohio State homer.

I miss Brent Musberger - I know a lot of people dont' like him but to me - his is a voice of college football.

Gary Danielson is my least favorite ever. Whenever TN goes up against a ranked opponent, it's never because TN is playing well - it's always because the other team is doing something wrong. He's a jerk on the air through-and-through. I always turn his voice off and listen to the radio broadcast - even if they aren't matching up.

What say you guys?

I may be in a minority among not just Tennessee, but SEC fans. A lot of whom just hate Danielson like you do.

I like him. He is extremely knowledgeable about the game, as a multi-year NFL QB would be. What he says always makes good football sense. I can't think of a single time I thought he said something stupid, and there are very few announcers in that category with me.

I think what rubs people the wrong way is that he is not afraid to say exactly what he thinks and doesn't bother to sugar coat it.

As for him not giving us credit...I think I noticed that and it annoyed me. One time! I typically don't need Danielson or any other announcer to wear orange colored glasses, that's my job as a fan. And in fairness, he is probably just dissecting what he thinks the other team can do to improve and not intending to "diss" Tennessee.

Just MO. He is actually my favorite college announcer. I also like Blackledge. McIlroy is okay, but sometimes does show a bit of homerism to bammer. I agree that he speaks very respectfully of Vols, and I appreciate that only because he is a former bammer player and knows the series and what it means.

One of the worst announcers in general IMO is Phil Simms on NFL games. He constantly states really obvious things as if he is dispensing some great wisdom. One that particularly stands out is "the reason you blitz is to sack the quarterback". No **** sherlock! lol

The no 1 guy I absolutley loathe is Joe Buck. Got his job cause of who his daddy was and never says a single thing of substance IMO. One year he was announcing the world series (about the only time I watch baseball) and about all he did was announce the hitters and their stats. The color guy did almost all the commentary on the game. I sometimes turn the volume down on him lol.

Herbstreit never shuts up and talks about stupid stuff the whole ballgame, I turn the sound off and listen to Vol network. I miss Curt Gowdey (NFL)and Brent Musberger.
Actually ESPN and ABC is a complete train wreck when it comes to broadcasting.
If your on the way back machine, Keith Jackson is the gold standard by which all others are judged. IMHO

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
I might get hammered for this, but Jesse Palmer was pretty good.

But Sean McDonough remains my favorite play by play guy
Can never forget his call when Stoerner fumbled in the 98 Arkansas game & he also called the UF game that year -- Ill never forget the UF missed FG call in OT

Last edited:

VN Store

Back