Favorite/Most Despised Announcers

Certainly one of the most distinctive voices in broadcasting, Myron Cope. He described his own voice as sounding like a hurricane hitting a junk yard. And inventor of the Terrible Towel.

435889ef9b755857e715dd09aaa10e09.jpg

I like all the legends…..nostalgia and all.

Keith Jackson
Verne Lundquist
Brent Musberger

Loved Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfried.

Same for Nessler. McDonough is solid as well. Someone mentioned Huard, who I also think is excellent.

Fowler/Herbie —- meh. Musberger/Herbie far superior.

Terrible:

Mike Patrick
Mike Tirico
Mark Jones
Some I can’t even remember their names.

Tirico terrible? Whaaat?

Tony Romo. And I love the Eli and Peyton show on MNF
If its a game I dont care about ill watch Peyton and Eli, but imo they don't focus enough on the games. Feels like Eli and Peyton doing a podcast during a game. Glad to hear Troy and Buck on MNF tonight. Infinitely better than Booger and Witten

Reactions: tbones0711
I think that Brad Nessler and Sean McDonough are probably the two best play by play guys right now. I’ve always thought Brock Huard was an outstanding color guy. Unfortunately he’s been relegated to the B team on Fox. I’ve never had any real issue with Danielson. I’ve always said that he’s a lot like Bill Raftery. When they stick to actually analyzing the game, their terrific. It’s when they sidetracked with all their nonsense that they become a hindrance to the broadcast.
Yep agree on Nessler team and Blackledge isn’t the worst.

I forgot her name, but the one who announced our KY game last season. I briefly flipped to the Mizzou game the other day, heard her and changed it back lol. Her voice is super annoying.
Was it the lady with the deep voice that sounds kind of mannish?

I’m going to get booed off of here, but I don’t mind Jordan Rodgers, because he is kind of eye candy
My wife always says, "He's so good looking!"
Then after he speaks, "I see why you hate him."

It is easy to hate announcers when your team is a letdown. I hated all announcers during the Pruitt years. They had so little good to say.

There are too many televised games to have enough good announcers these days.

Andre Ware was always pretty good. Haven't seen him mentioned.

Herbstreit never shuts up and talks about stupid stuff the whole ballgame, I turn the sound off and listen to Vol network. I miss Curt Gowdey (NFL)and Brent Musberger.
Actually ESPN and ABC is a complete train wreck when it comes to broadcasting.
Hahahaha, you’re RIGHT! Herb does talk about the dumbest, random things during the broadcast. I wonder if it gets on Fowlers last nerve?

Maybe we should stand up a poll - might be fun to see the results.

A post from Saturday got me thinking...who are your most and least favorite announcers over the years?

Personally, I'm a fan of the Greg McElroy/Joe Tessitore combo. Joe's voice is exciting and he seems even-keeld for both teams. Greg also seems fair to both sides and treats Vol fans respectfully.

I find Chris Fowler to be in the same league as Joe Tessitore (or I guess maybe it should be said, Tessitore is in the same class as Fowler) but Herbstreit is not as unbiased as the others. He's a bit of a baby and, even though he tries not to...he's a Ohio State homer.

I miss Brent Musberger - I know a lot of people dont' like him but to me - his is a voice of college football.

Gary Danielson is my least favorite ever. Whenever TN goes up against a ranked opponent, it's never because TN is playing well - it's always because the other team is doing something wrong. He's a jerk on the air through-and-through. I always turn his voice off and listen to the radio broadcast - even if they aren't matching up.

What say you guys?

Favorite Announcer: John Ward/Skip Caray
Worst Announcer: Howard Cosell

John Ward Bill Anderson and Ron Franklin.
Jefferson pilot guys were good.
Tim brando seemed decent human meet him at neyland once.
Gary Danielson sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back