Favorite/Most Despised Announcers

My favorites football announcers over the years: Ray Scott, Dick Enberg, Sean McDonough

My least favorite by far: Fowler/Herbstreit - nonstop blabbering the entire game. They never let the action speak for itself.

I miss Keith Jackson, Gene Deckerhoff, Vic Prinzi, John Ward, Skip Caray, Harry Caray, Jack Buck, and Vin Scully. John Wilkerson does nice work. I’d listen to Jim Nantz or Marv Albert call a game of cricket.

I wish Jordan Rogers and David Pollack would trip on some stairs at work and knock their two front teeth out. That way they’d develop a lisp but still get worker’s comp on their employer’s dime.

The fact that Beth Mowins can make a living as a broadcaster with that voice is just unbelievable to me. She’s like a mixture of Gilbert Gottfried and a sick farm animal.

I know Mowins' voice grates on a lot of peoples' nerves, but I like her; she she pays attention to, and makes reasonable comments about, the game going on in front of her instead of yammering incessantly about irrelevant nonsense.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I like him, but one time he inexplicably thought that Florida St. was an SEC team.
I didn’t say he was smart 😂.. even though he played for Vandy back in the day, he doesn’t seem to particularly care if UT wins or loses, and I like that too.. he seems pretty unbiased

Last edited:
McElroy is a helluva better announcer than a NFL QB, thats for sure

Can’t stand Tessitore. I think he and Gus Johnson attended the same broadcasting school where they learned to yell at the top of their lungs after a running back picks up three yards on first down.
I like Gus. Him losing his mind when Iowa beat Penn State last year was one of the highlights of the season as far as announcing goes. He some how managed to turn “Iowa” into one syllable.

I think that Brad Nessler and Sean McDonough are probably the two best play by play guys right now. I’ve always thought Brock Huard was an outstanding color guy. Unfortunately he’s been relegated to the B team on Fox. I’ve never had any real issue with Danielson. I’ve always said that he’s a lot like Bill Raftery. When they stick to actually analyzing the game, their terrific. It’s when they sidetracked with all their nonsense that they become a hindrance to the broadcast.

Agree with all of this.

I like all the legends…..nostalgia and all.

Keith Jackson
Verne Lundquist
Brent Musberger

Loved Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfried.

Same for Nessler. McDonough is solid as well. Someone mentioned Huard, who I also think is excellent.

Fowler/Herbie —- meh. Musberger/Herbie far superior.

Terrible:

Mike Patrick
Mike Tirico
Mark Jones
Some I can’t even remember their names.

I think Franklin/Gottifried was my favorite of all-time.

I’m going to get booed off of here, but I don’t mind Jordan Rodgers, because he is kind of eye candy
I think we like him for different reasons but I agree (Ball st. Game withstanding). He actually understands the game and I like how he explains concepts not just moves a player made.
Flame away.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Favorite-Harry Carey and Jack Buck. Use to listen to them broadcast the Cardinals in the 60s on my transistor radio.
I thought he was ok but I think a lot of people hated Howard Cosell (sp) on Monday night football.

Reactions: tnvolsball
I miss Keith Jackson, Gene Deckerhoff, Vic Prinzi, John Ward, Skip Caray, Harry Caray, Jack Buck, and Vin Scully. John Wilkerson does nice work. I’d listen to Jim Nantz or Marv Albert call a game of cricket.

I wish Jordan Rogers and David Pollack would trip on some stairs at work and knock their two front teeth out. That way they’d develop a lisp but still get worker’s comp on their employer’s dime.
Gone are they days of the art of painting pictures with words or offering unique insights in college football. To me, Vin Scully and John Ward are at the top w Al Michaels, Madden. Even a void in vol fandom. Only guy I know who could be good is Crompton if you listen to some of his analysis…not sure how he’d be in a booth. Used to like Herbie but he’s gotten promoted I guess and my opinion is he thinks everyone wants to hear his…people forget they are entertainers. Do your job and get off the stage.

VN Store

Back