Fall Depth Chart 2019 - Way Too Early

People are really sleeping on how talented Henry T is. No way he isn't in the two deep and probably seeing the majority of #1 reps by Florida game. We will roll with two true freshmen at the tackle position, just like we did with corner a year ago. Those guys will be forced to grow up fast, fair or not. Savion Williams will start with Solomon & Gooden in a perfect world. Crouch is a beast, we are suddenly collecting talent.

Reactions: Pacer92
Unless JG flat out loses his starting job or is injured there is no way either of the other QB's see meaningful snaps. As mentioned above the only time in our schedule it makes sense to get a young QB meaningful snaps is after South Carolina game. Getting them early snaps only takes reps from your starter when they need them most. A second advantage of getting them the snaps late is season is that by then their supporting cast has settled into their positions. I'd much rather be a QB behind this line in November than September.. If I valued my life that is.

The new rules on redshirting have changed the meta of college football. Last year was the first taste. As more coaches get used to the rule and how to use it you'll see a lot more guys get redshirted because now u can play a decent amount of games and not lose that year. It will make benches deeper as say u have 6 guys fighting for 3 spots at RB. Those last 3 guys can all get snaps in 4/12 games and still redshirt so you can always be 4 deep if one pops in and catches fire then yaay. But in most cases they won't. Maurer getting a few garbage snaps at the end of us blowing out some scrub team when they have in their reserves or at the end of us getting blown out by some powerhouse does not have as much value as u may think. In fact it's more apt to negatively affect the player and team. Kid comes in at then end of us getting blown out
45-0 in third quarter then throws for 3td's against second stringers playing prevent. Or worse get their head torn off because they get put in with our second string line against some team we blew out whose starters just wanna hurt someone at that point.

Unless JG flat out loses his starting job or is injured there is no way either of the other QB's see meaningful snaps. As mentioned above the only time in our schedule it makes sense to get a young QB meaningful snaps is after South Carolina game. Getting them early snaps only takes reps from your starter when they need them most. A second advantage of getting them the snaps late is season is that by then their supporting cast has settled into their positions. I'd much rather be a QB behind this line in November than September.. If I valued my life that is.

The new rules on redshirting have changed the meta of college football. Last year was the first taste. As more coaches get used to the rule and how to use it you'll see a lot more guys get redshirted because now u can play a decent amount of games and not lose that year. It will make benches deeper as say u have 6 guys fighting for 3 spots at RB. Those last 3 guys can all get snaps in 4/12 games and still redshirt so you can always be 4 deep if one pops in and catches fire then yaay. But in most cases they won't. Maurer getting a few garbage snaps at the end of us blowing out some scrub team when they have in their reserves or at the end of us getting blown out by some powerhouse does not have as much value as u may think. In fact it's more apt to negatively affect the player and team. Kid comes in at then end of us getting blown out
45-0 in third quarter then throws for 3td's against second stringers playing prevent. Or worse get their head torn off because they get put in with our second string line against some team we blew out whose starters just wanna hurt someone at that point.
I think most everyone i knows the new rules. I am not suggesting that Maurer be use only as mop-up work nor that he start any games unless JG is injured. It is foolish to not have more than one QB with experience when the SEC schedule starts. Conference wins are the most important and, to me, Maurer is the one who appears to be the more talented of the two inexperienced QBs. We will be recruiting at least one 4-5 start QBs every year so I see no reason to try to redshit Maurer and possibly have to start a QB who has NO game experience. A little insurance is always wise.

Reactions: LittleVol
People are really sleeping on how talented Henry T is. No way he isn't in the two deep and probably seeing the majority of #1 reps by Florida game. We will roll with two true freshmen at the tackle position, just like we did with corner a year ago. Those guys will be forced to grow up fast, fair or not. Savion Williams will start with Solomon & Gooden in a perfect world. Crouch is a beast, we are suddenly collecting talent.

Agree. I think Henry T is a difference maker. I like the way the depth and competition is panning out at the ILB positions with Bituli, Ignont, Reid, Crouch and Toot, when he arrives. I personally think Bituli would be better suited at OLB, jmo..

I think most everyone i knows the new rules. I am not suggesting that Maurer be use only as mop-up work nor that he start any games unless JG is injured. It is foolish to not have more than one QB with experience when the SEC schedule starts. Conference wins are the most important and, to me, Maurer is the one who appears to be the more talented of the two inexperienced QBs. We will be recruiting at least one 4-5 start QBs every year so I see no reason to try to redshirt Maurer and possibly have to start a QB who has NO game experience. A little insurance is always wise.
Again playing a young QB early in the season is logistically dumb. Early to midseason is the toughest part of our schedule. We will be trying to win games so at that point the only reason you dont play your starter is if its a blowout one way other the other and those are gonna be garbage snaps. Why is it every year this happens some guy looks ok in a spring game or a preseason game (NFL) and they get anointed the next big thing. This almost never pans out. Why because its not a real game and everyone knows it.. Trust me if the QB's were not in black jerseys the outcome of that game is totally different. We'd likely be talking about starting a walkon at this point because all the scholly guys would be in traction.

I would swap out warrior with Flowers honestly. He hasn’t impressed me one bit at all during his career. McCullough has some Berry in him
He certainly had a much better sophomore year than junior year. It was kind of surprising to see him take a step back last year. Took a lot of bad angles.

Agree. I think Henry T is a difference maker. I like the way the depth and competition is panning out at the ILB positions with Bituli, Ignont, Reid, Crouch and Toot, when he arrives. I personally think Bituli would be better suited at OLB, jmo..

To your point, Bituli played some OLB in the OW game. I noticed several plays where Wanya at LT and Bituli at outside backer were mixing it up. It was fun to watch. Bituli is stout despite giving up a lot of weight in that matchup.

Reactions: VOLinPD and Pacer92
Again playing a young QB early in the season is logistically dumb. Early to midseason is the toughest part of our schedule. We will be trying to win games so at that point the only reason you dont play your starter is if its a blowout one way other the other and those are gonna be garbage snaps. Why is it every year this happens some guy looks ok in a spring game or a preseason game (NFL) and they get anointed the next big thing. This almost never pans out. Why because its not a real game and everyone knows it.. Trust me if the QB's were not in black jerseys the outcome of that game is totally different. We'd likely be talking about starting a walkon at this point because all the scholly guys would be in traction.
Tennessee and other teams have started true Freshmen in the first game as well as during the season. Most of the time it is because of injury or necessity. Additionally, coaches. Often want to see how new QBs react under real game conditions ,or they have questions about how successful they will be under pressure. I don’t think the coaches have concerns about JG, but it appears that many posters do. I still believe that getting game experience is important when only one of three scholarship QBs have that experience. Again, 2020 is the year when Tennessee should be ready to play with the big boys for post season rankings. I would much rather have more than one QB prepare be prepared for 2020 than only one, especially when it appears that one or mor very talented QBs will recruited this Fall/Winter. I like to be as well prepared as I can be for what comes down the road.

I am going out on a limb here and put in a few Freshman that have not played yet. I just have a hunch on a few of them. And I tell ya I think we have a solid 2 deep and working on a 3rd. I only changed a few things on Offense. I think Maurer beats out Shrout. I think Ryan Johnson is better at Center than Kennedy but the rest of the roster on OFF I agree with. On Defense I agree somewhat with the DL and OLB but I do believe that Shannon Reid will beat out Ignont and I got a hunch To'oto'o will be our 2 string man moving Ignont behind Bituli. I would also look out for Crouch at LB. I think when he learns everything he will be our next big time LB. I think that Burrell will be in the 2 deep at CB behind Thompson. I think Gibbs is way better than Buchanan and will start. And I am guessing Aaron Beasley is going to come in and be in the 2 deep at Safety behind Flowers.

QB - Guarantano, Maurer
RB - Chandler, Jordan (I think Eric Grey comes in middle of season as number 2 RB)
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Calloway, Brandon Johnson
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OT - Jahmir Johnson, Morris
OG - Carvin, Calbert
C - Ryan Johnson, Kennedy
OG - Trey Smith, Locklear
OT - Darnell Wright, Tatum

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
DE - Savion Williams, Middleton
OLB - Darrel Taylor, Kivon Bennett
MLB - Bituli, Ignont
MLB - Shannon Reid, Henry To'oto'o
OLB - Deandre Johnson, Jordan Allen
CB - Alontae Taylor, Tyus Fields
CB - Thompson, Warren Burrell
Nickel - Deangelo Gibbs, Buchanan
FS - Warrior, McCullough
SS - Flowers, Aaron (Tank) Beasley

This looks about right to me. I could see Crouch getting into the 2-deep somewhere. Not sure where.

VN Store

Back