Fake Injury rule change

No. They "punted" saying that conferences could investigate it and punish those who fake.

The NCAA is overthinking the rule. The rule should be be like the helmet coming off rule. Any player, offense or defense, delaying play by more than X seconds regardless of reason (injury or no injury - does not matter) automatically sits out the next play. Refs would not need to make a judgement about motivation (like the change from the old face mask rule). What is right number seconds for triggering the rule? I'll throw out a delay of 2 seconds from the offense being set for the next play for discussion. Is this the right number of seconds for triggering the rule?

The NCAA is overthinking the rule. The rule should be be like the helmet coming off rule. Any player, offense or defense, delaying play by more than X seconds regardless of reason (injury or no injury - does not matter) automatically sits out the next play. Refs would not need to make a judgement about motivation (like the change from the old face mask rule). What is right number seconds for triggering the rule? I'll throw out a delay of 2 seconds from the offense being set for the next play for discussion. Is this the right number of seconds for triggering the rule?

Disagree. They stay out for the remainder of the series.

One problem with getting this passed is we are one of the few teams who really want it. Rarely in the course of human events will the public at large willfully enact a new policy for the benefit of a few to the detriment of the whole. We were too upfront about what we wanted and why I guess. We need to find someway to do what politicians frequently do to voters and that is trick them into passing it by pretending it's really about something else. Until then we need to adjust, I suspect that's where CJH's focus is (i.e., adjusting).

Last edited:
I still say ESPN and CBS will eventually put a stop to it. It is bad for business. It wrecks ad slotting and revenue dispersal. They hate running stale ads or the ads slated for the next program due to a game going over.
It is terrible for programming when games run 60-90 over allotted time and the Vols are some games with higher ratings. The TV Networks will be the power that puts the stop to it. Tell them how much you hate it, not the NCAA or SEC. They actually listen to their customers. They will pressure the conference.

the rule should be simple and clear! The offense controls the clock. If the defense usurps that control for any reason, it's a penalty. Carry the injured player off the field! It's a penalty! Carry the player faking an injury off the field, it's a penalty! If the player with a broken leg wants to come back in the next play, fine! BUT ONLY AFTER THE PENALTY IS STEPPED OFF! THE DEFENSE CANNOT TAKE CONTROL OF THE CLOCK WITHOUT SUFFERING A PENALTY!

VN Store

Back