Extreme Weather Games

1978 vs Oregon St
Stairwells looked like river rapids. 13-13 tie as well.🤬

Was that the game Alan Duncan missed an extra point for one of the only times of his career?
Yep. Down 13-0 with about 5 or 6 mins left. Interference penalty by OSU and long td pass by Streater got UT tied......then wide right🤬

I had forgotten about the Montana game...I was under cover, but the wind shifted and we got soaked and sand blasted

1993 vs South Carolina . Noon game it was mid 30’s . Tannyhill and Helton got into a shouting match pre-game . Uscjr took the opening kick and drove for a field goal. We rattled off 55 unanswered points . Started snowing mid 2nd quarter. Awesome game. Tannyhill got quiet really quickly. No home run swings on the Power-T .

92 Florida in the deluge. Mose Phillips taking it to the house in the rain.

The 3rd quarter lightning storm/raining sideways/flooded field game was the best ever. The Shuler to Phillips TD pass with Spurrier cringing on the UF bench was priceless.

My wife and I having Sabrett's hot dogs at a stand outside the stadium.. with Brent Musberger...after the game, soaking wet was the icing on the cake. I'll never forget the Barcelona Dragons helmet sticker on his briefcase or Musberger telling us that was the craziest thing and best fan support he had ever seen.

The 3rd quarter lightning storm/raining sideways/flooded field game was the best ever. The Shuler to Phillips TD pass with Spurrier cringing on the UF bench was priceless.

My wife and I having Sabrett's hot dogs at a stand outside the stadium.. with Brent Musberger...after the game, soaking wet was the icing on the cake. I'll never forget the Barcelona Dragons helmet sticker on his briefcase or Musberger telling us that was the craziest thing and best fan support he had ever seen.
Fantastic memory!

Montana 2011 was crazy because it was a typical brutally hot early Sept. home game. Then the storm rolled through, drenching everything and everyone in its path (I remember standing next to a concession stand in a 6 inch puddle of water and looking down and seeing multiple electrical plugs and extension cords bobbing around). But after the rain cleared up, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it was slightly chilly the rest of the game.

Another one that stands out for me was Missouri 2016. The temperature itself wasn't that extreme but the wind was painful. People were actually yelling, gasping, and shrieking every time it whipped around the stadium.

Brand new member here

Weather games overall are fascinating, and I was curious what UT weather games you all remember the most (snow, fog, rain, etc.).

We all remember the absolute monsoon to start the second half against LSU in 2017.

LSU game was nuts!!

Attachments

• ABAC5453-60EB-4C61-8E35-92FEE1648C79.jpeg
    ABAC5453-60EB-4C61-8E35-92FEE1648C79.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 10
First meeting with Oregon. Had to hang out in the corridor with tens of thousands of wet rats. Big eye-opener in terms of the allure of staying home.

I was there. We got behind a concession counter that wasn’t in use. That was after almost passing out from how hot it got with 100k people in the concourse

I was at the Auburn-Tennessee game in 1973. It was like a monsoon in the second half. In the 4th quarter Bill Battle was punting on 1st down instead of trying to play in that mess. We won 21-0.

I was thinking of that game. Today, they would stop play but not then. Lightning be damned

Reactions: MAD
I haven’t read through all of these but o believe it was the 91 UCLA game in Knoxville. The concession stand was handing out free ice and people were having to be carried out of the upper deck. Players came off the field pucking which was got on a tv camera. Also Smoky the dog had a heat stroke and died later that week.

Was it 1991 against UCLA when it was sooooo stinking hot? So hot, poor Smokey ended up on the injured list after the game due to heat exhaustion? Anyway, wife fainted from the heat and had to removed from the stands via stretcher.
Smokey actually died if I recall correctly....it was brutally hot.... the following Saturday the weather was perfect for MSU. I couldn't believe the difference

Smokey actually died if I recall correctly....it was brutally hot.... the following Saturday the weather was perfect for MSU. I couldn't believe the difference

The rumors of Smokey's death are greatly exaggerated.

Smokey VI, who suffered heat exhaustion in the 140-degree temperatures at the 1991 UCLA game, was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. He was on the sidelines for three SEC championships.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
'96 Florida game sucked to high Heaven... and it was a constant rain from start to finish. I was at the '94 game at Vandy and Ronnie Milsap (yes, you read that correctly; millenials can Google him) was right behind me. Brutal cold, wind, and had rained earlier so the seats were frozen with ice. Ronnie Milsap looks at me (pun intended) and says, "My ass is frozen to the seat." True story. We balled that day though, so boom!

That’s a cool story. So I guess Milsap just listened to the crowd and the radio or something to figure out what was going on? Note: for the younger people reading this; Ronnie Milsap is completely blind.

Reactions: Offset Eye
That’s a cool story. So I guess Milsap just listened to the crowd and the radio or something to figure out what was going on? Note: for the younger people reading this; Ronnie Milsap is completely blind.

He just sat there and listened to the crowd and the PA Announcer. There was a younger grunge-band type dude with him, but they didn't speak much. They left after the first quarter. Awful weather that day.

Reactions: Jaws
The rumors of Smokey's death are greatly exaggerated.

Smokey VI, who suffered heat exhaustion in the 140-degree temperatures at the 1991 UCLA game, was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. He was on the sidelines for three SEC championships.

No he died later that week.

VN Store

Back