Extreme Weather Games

The Missouri game in como 2015 was the coldest I have ever been for 3 1/2 hours. I think it was 20 at kickoff, then the wind started blowing. Wife and daughter left at halftime, but I refused to leave after driving 600 miles and miss a rare road win.

The 89 and 92 rain wins were great. 93 rain loss SUCKED.

yeah it was 2002 - like 7 fumbled snaps in the 1st half

I remember that game! Everyone was so hyped because Spurrior was finally gone and we should have marched all over them. On the Fulmer show the next day all they did was show replays of the year before. IIRC Fulmer fired the or one of the line coaches after that season blaming the center snap fumbles on him.

92 Florida in the deluge. Mose Phillips taking it to the house in the rain.

Upper deck. Pulled my t-shirt over my head to make a lean-to canopy in front my face to keep from getting pelted in face by the blowing rain. Some of the hardest rain I remember in my lifetime. I'll never forget that moment.

I was at that Liberty Bowl game also. Thought my toes were going to fall off five minutes into the game. My buddy left our free tickets at his house so we ended up buying from scalpers.
Was there with my high school football team.

I was in Fayetteville in 2001 for the Vols - Hogs game. I remember having to evacuate the bleachers 2 or 3 times due to thunderstorms.
I think I will watch that one again when I have some down time -- found it on Youtube

Like many others, my favorite weather inclement games were Arkansas '98 and Florida '92. At the other end of the scale, the most miserable experience I can ever remember was a 1977 Georgia Tech game where the temperature was in the upper-30's maybe but the rain was a downpour. Not only was it cold but it was difficult to watch what was going on the field because every time I looked up I got rain in my face. Not that the game was much to see. Georgia Tech had the game in hand early. It still ranks at the all-time record fewest passes by an opponent during a game - 0. I didn't remember the score, did not want to remember the score, and looked it up, Tech won 24-8. That was Majors first year as a coach.

Like many others, my favorite weather inclement games were Arkansas '98 and Florida '92. At the other end of the scale, the most miserable experience I can ever remember was a 1977 Georgia Tech game where the temperature was in the upper-30's maybe but the rain was a downpour. Not only was it cold but it was difficult to watch what was going on the field because every time I looked up I got rain in my face. Not that the game was much to see. Georgia Tech had the game in hand early. It still ranks at the all-time record fewest passes by an opponent during a game - 0. I didn't remember the score, did not want to remember the score, and looked it up, Tech won 24-8. That was Majors first year as a coach.

I was at that GA Tech game.

Oregon game in Knoxville. We were trapped in the stadium as people jammed the concourses. No way to get out. Just hunkered down inside our cheap ponchos and held on (in the upper deck) for dear life.
I've been to a number of lightening games where we were made to go to the concourse, but this Oregon game felt different, I think because we were asked to leave right as the storm was almost on top of us and people starting freaking out to get to the concourse. There was like a group of 10 of us together at that game, and somehow during that exit, we all got split up. As you said, there was not an inch to move.

The Missouri game in como 2015 was the coldest I have ever been for 3 1/2 hours. I think it was 20 at kickoff, then the wind started blowing. Wife and daughter left at halftime, but I refused to leave after driving 600 miles and miss a rare road win.

The 89 and 92 rain wins were great. 93 rain loss SUCKED.

Guess I should get prepared for this year! Hopefully it won't be as cold...

Brand new member here

Weather games overall are fascinating, and I was curious what UT weather games you all remember the most (snow, fog, rain, etc.).

We all remember the absolute monsoon to start the second half against LSU in 2017.

For me, it was a cold weather game. I believe it was October 25, 1980 against Pittsburgh Panthers. Our only score was a kickoff return by Willie Gault. Pittsburgh was coached by Jackie Sherrill and finished #2 in the rankings that year. My son and I left early because of the cold and the fact the game was a blowout. Coldest game I ever attended.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
2010 Oregon game at Neyland was a Monsoon at Halftime, didn't affect game time really, but it was fun to watch from my seats 2 rows under the shelter :) The students were loving it, most of them stayed out through the whole monsoon.

2016 Florida was HOT. I couldn't even use my phone to take pictures because it spent most of the day overheating. Late September and over 90°. The win made it all worth it. Note to self: For 3:30 games, sit on the WEST side of the stadium.

I would have to say the 1996 Florida game in a driving rainstorm through the first half. Down 35-0 before everyone got seated. Doubt anybody living has ever seen a snow game at Neyland. I go back to being there since 1978 and have never seen one.

I would have to say the 1996 Florida game in a driving rainstorm through the first half. Down 35-0 before everyone got seated. Doubt anybody living has ever seen a snow game at Neyland. I go back to being there since 1978 and have never seen one.
beleive that was 94...but yeah, it rained it's azz off that day. that was my first game in Nelyand.

94 FL was probably the worst rain game i saw at Neyland.

the hottest was 2016 FL or 95 Arkansas. miserable heat on both...and i think that Ark game was an Oct game...i remember thinking it shouldn't be this freakin hot.

coldest...86 liberty bowl in Memphis.
non TN game...2004 AFC title game Pittsburgh v. NE in Pittsburgh. -15 at kickoff. brrr.
worst rain game was a MNF game in Pittsburgh,....Steelers/Dolphins...rained almost non stop thru half time in to the 4th qtr before stopping. saw a punt plug in to the turf...lol.

It was in 1996 when UT was #2 and UF #4. Vols fumbled all day and was down 35-0 before a serious comeback to lose 35-29.
yeah, but i don't remember it raining that day? i remember it being a beautiful day, until FL's 1st possesion, 4th and 11, touchdown. and then the day is blurr. if it rained after that, there's good reason i don't remember it. :)

Anybody know if there has ever been a game played at Neyland with visible, measurable snow on the ground that actually impacted the playing surface (not just flurries during the game or something like that)? Surely it has occurred at some point, but I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Old times always talked about the Thanksgiving weekend game in 1950 with Kentucky with a blizzard. Interesting article about the 1950 and 1952 snow games. John Shearer: The Tennessee/Kentucky Rivalry Dates Back To 1950

Reactions: Bms4880
yeah, but i don't remember it raining that day? i remember it being a beautiful day, until FL's 1st possesion, 4th and 11, touchdown. and then the day is blurr. if it rained after that, there's good reason i don't remember it. :)
I remember getting soaked that day wishing i had stayed home. lol. Here is a youtube of that game.

South Carolina Halloween game. Was beautiful all day until right before the night kickoff. Poured rain and was really cold. Not as much rain as some of the others I have been to, but the rain/cold combo was nasty.

For me, it was a cold weather game. I believe it was October 25, 1980 against Pittsburgh Panthers. Our only score was a kickoff return by Willie Gault. Pittsburgh was coached by Jackie Sherrill and finished #2 in the rankings that year. My son and I left early because of the cold and the fact the game was a blowout. Coldest game I ever attended.

I was at that game. We missed the extra point.

Reactions: BoroVolFan
92 Florida in the deluge. Mose Phillips taking it to the house in the rain.

Was at this game. One of my favorites. As I remember, the storm came out of nowhere. Sitting in Section G, under the overhang and above the student section...all I can say is for those who didn't bring rain gear (everyone), the garments were.. how can I tactfully say it.. clingy? lol The victory, plus the fact the storm was over when the game was.. good to be under the upper deck and above the student section.

89? Auburn in a down pour when the downspout for the upper deck over mid fifties rows in Sec. M? came loose and soaked a bunch of folks.

Late 50's either KY or Vandy there was measurable snow....if I remember correctly. It's only been 60+ years.

85? Fla. down there. Super hot, plus our seats were almost against the big, orange wall.
Anyone remember the practice shells - two rectangles sewn at the shoulders and an elastic band at the bottom? One very attractive young UT fan wore an orange one as her top. Probably added another 6 or 8 degrees. Bless her heart, she made several trips up and back to the concession stand.

VN Store

Back