Extreme Bammer Dis

BHAMVOLFAN

Did anyone see the editorial ESPN did on the state of racial relations in Alabama during the halftime break of the game? WOW

I missed most of the game. Can you enlighten me? Pretty much all I've heard is that they were blowing smoke up Croom's butt all night long... then again, it was 'bammers that told me that.

They showed films of the era Sly grew up during his youth in Tuscaloosa. Films of George Wallace, the 16th Street bombing, Bull Conner, turning away AA students at the UofA, KKK etc. That production, if seen by AA recruits, has to be damaging.

Heck it embarrassed me for just moving here.

I did see a similar thing run earlier in the day... I'm not sure what the point was in rehashing that stuff during this day in age...

After seeing that piece, how badly did you want to see Croom beat the Tide to rub their face in it for not hiring him the 2 or 3 times that they've had a chance?

Originally posted by GAVol@Nov 8, 2004 2:09 PM
After seeing that piece, how badly did you want to see Croom beat the Tide to rub their face in it for not hiring him the 2 or 3 times that they've had a chance?

I understand what you are saying, and I think that Sylvester Croom will be an excellent coach. I am not saying that I wish that Bama had hired him, but I am saying that I would have welcomed him if we had. What I don't understand is, in the last few years when there have been job openings at other schools has anyone ever mentioned him? Then when Bama goes looking, and because he is well thought of at Bama, he was asked to interview. Suddenly we are stupid and racist if we don't hire him. I ( and this is just my opinion, because that is all I can vouch for) don't think that Miss. State would have thought of him, if he hadn't interviewed at Bama. So I don't think that Bama has shown him any disrespect in any way. He was treated just like anyone else that interviewed for the job, and isn't that what we all want equality.
Would Tennessee hire someone that played for them over 20 years ago, but has no head coaching experience just because someone(a group from outside your school) told them to do so? Or would you hire the coach that you think will fit your school better?

Originally posted by Bama My Heart@Nov 8, 2004 5:19 PM
Would Tennessee hire someone that played for them over 20 years ago, but has no head coaching experience

I see what you are saying. Wait a minute - Let's see . . . Phillip Fulmer - Tennessee class of 1971 - 20 years as an assistant with no head coaching experience - hired in 1992 - Whoops?!?!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Originally posted by Bama My Heart@Nov 8, 2004 4:19 PM

Would Tennessee hire someone that played for them over 20 years ago, but has no head coaching experience just because someone(a group from outside your school) told them to do so? Or would you hire the coach that you think will fit your school better?

Depends on if his name is Peyton Manning.

Originally posted by Bama My Heart@Nov 8, 2004 5:19 PM
What I don't understand is, in the last few years when there have been job openings at other schools has anyone ever mentioned him? Then when Bama goes looking, and because he is well thought of at Bama, he was asked to interview. Suddenly we are stupid and racist if we don't hire him. I ( and this is just my opinion, because that is all I can vouch for) don't think that Miss. State would have thought of him, if he hadn't interviewed at Bama. So I don't think that Bama has shown him any disrespect in any way. He was treated just like anyone else that interviewed for the job, and isn't that what we all want equality.

That is what I don't get either. How many friggin schools have hired coaches in the last two years and how many of them were black?? Nebraska? Nope Arizona? Nope I can guarantee you that Florida will not hire a black coach and I can guarantee you that no one will say a THING. If you watched the half time thing on Croom it was rather nice. They did give the racial history thing and they should have it is part of our (and your) history. But they also mentioned that Croom was one of only two black students at his high school and somehow he managed to be the Student Body President with nothing but redneck KKK members voting for him. Coach Croom also talked about how much Coach Bryant did for him and what he learned and how much he loves the University. I had hoped that we would have hired him, but we didn't and I don't see what we did wrong and why we keep getting slammed for it.

Originally posted by Rammer Jammer@Nov 9, 2004 3:08 PM
I had hoped that we would have hired him, but we didn't and I don't see what we did wrong and why we keep getting slammed for it.

I agree with you. Recent coaching circumstances and Alabama's checkered racial past make the school a convenient target. There are a lot of schools just like Bama that have had an assembly line of coaches in the past 10 years, that should be held to the same standard. An African American coach could probably do more for Vanderbilt or Kentucky than any of the mannequins they've hired in the past 10 years.

VN Store

Back