Expect another Dooley....

The question you have to ask yourself, and a very unpopular one, who actually wants this job? We as a fanbase are very delusional as to who the "real" candidates should be, and with everything in limbo right now, if we can hire a stabilizer to get us through this and keep us somewhat competitive is something we should all hope for. We need to try and stay away from coaches who have had run in's with the NCAA at previous stops.

My thing is, knowing that Kiffin, Freeze or Chadwell want the job, and possibly Napier, I'm gonna be LIVID if we wind up with Google McHoolehan. At some points, past history be darned, you gotta put yourself in the best position possible. Dont hurt the university further just to make a point.

I haven't seen anything from the powers to be in Knoxville that makes me think otherwise. I'm expecting a Sunbelt coach or a coordinator with no HC experience for about 2.5 million a year. Going to find that diamond in the rough.
I'm thinking an analyst from the St.Thomas Tommies in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. A real up'n'comer!

I haven't seen anything from the powers to be in Knoxville that makes me think otherwise. I'm expecting a Sunbelt coach or a coordinator with no HC experience for about 2.5 million a year. Going to find that diamond in the rough.
Here's the hot board per VQ

Steele
Herman
O’Brien
Marrone
Chadwell
Freeze
Kiffin
Campbell
Neal Brown
Jim Caldwell

I really,really doubt that!

giphy (13).gif

The powers that be are different people this time, which is our only hope. At least Boyd and Plowman didn't pick their nose and eat it on live television yesterday. That's a step up.

They can do that when Steele retires.

Here's the hot board per VQ

Steele - no. Old and boring.
Herman - would be a great hire.
O’Brien - knows how to handle programs w/ NCAA issues.
Marrone - see Steele above.
Chadwell - I think he's the leader in the clubhouse and would take the job.
Freeze - no way we touch him w/ NCAA issues.
Kiffin - not happening. Overrated too.
Campbell - pipe dream. He's holding out for a better gig.
Neal Brown - ugh.
Jim Caldwell - ugh (x2). Isn't he like 90 too.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
Is anyone listening to Swain? He sounds really down
Upset probably that UT is going to get harsh punishment over their numerous serious recruiting violations. This may rank right up there with Ole Miss and Billy Brewer in the 1990s.

Thats such a lazy take on Chadwell, some players used extra money to buy stuff from the bookstore in which they were told they would lose the money if they didn't use it.

When your program is forced to vacate 18 wins, I would say that's cause for concern. I understand he was cleared, but that still doesn't help when you're staring down the NCAA's barrell currently. We have to evaluate this based on the current environment at UT, and this fanbase doesn't want to admit how jacked up it really is. We just think throwing out names and money is where its at, but unfortunately we aren't in a position to get the cream from the top right now.

Reactions: OldLofter
Upset probably that UT is going to get harsh punishment over their numerous serious recruiting violations. This may rank right up there with Ole Miss and Billy Brewer in the 1990s.
Um, no. Nothing major is going to happen to Tennessee, have you seen how the NCAA has handled Basketball recently? What about the UNC scandal, Penn State seems to be alive and well now after the WORST scandal in the history of sports. Tennessee might miss a bowl next year and maybe have some wins stripped but nothing serious is going to come of this, Tennessee knows where the bodies are buried in this conference.

When your program is forced to vacate 18 wins, I would say that's cause for concern. I understand he was cleared, but that still doesn't help when you're staring down the NCAA's barrell currently. We have to evaluate this based on the current environment at UT, and this fanbase doesn't want to admit how jacked up it really is. We just think throwing out names and money is where its at, but unfortunately we aren't in a position to get the cream from the top right now.
Half of those names aren't "cream from the top"

Here's how low my expectations have become.

When Fulmer was fired, NO ONE had Kiffin on their list.

When Kiffin left, NO ONE had Dooley on their list.

When Dookey was fired, NO ONE had Jones on their list.

When Jones was fired, NO ONE had Pruitt on their list.

I just want UT to hire someone on an actual list! I don't give a crap if its Marrone, Malzahn or Steele. Just give me someone that actually was good enough to make a freaking list.

I also just realize my fat fingers spelled Dooley as Dookey. I'm not going to change it. Feeling salty.

Half of those names aren't "cream from the top"

My point that I tried to imply was hire for stability right now. It's not sexy, but if you can get through this and not cause more issues in the process, then that's where they should go.

Also, the point of the cream from the top comment, was the fact that UT's fanbase thinks anyone should want this job, but given the recruiting challenges, the now current NCAA issues, and a faltering compliance office, does that really appeal to anyone wanting to "further" their career?

My point that I tried to imply was hire for stability right now. It's not sexy, but if you can get through this and not cause more issues in the process, then that's where they should go.

Also, the point of the cream from the top comment, was the fact that UT's fanbase thinks anyone should want this job, but given the recruiting challenges, the now current NCAA issues, and a faltering compliance office, does that really appeal to anyone wanting to "further" their career?
My list is as followed and all would take the job
1. Obrien
2. Kiffin
3. Chadwell
4. Marrone

VN Store

Back