excellent article: Vols' receiver Callaway ‘the kid everybody loved’

kamoshika

1573257159417.png

The last four years haven’t been easy for Tennessee’s seniors. They’ve seen coaching changes, horrible losses and derailed ambitions. But Callaway tries not to dwell on the past because he sees brighter days ahead for a program that has won three out of the last four games to make bowl eligibility a realistic possibility.

“The seniors take pride in making sure we keep things rolling since it’s our last go around,” explains Callaway, who has 18 catches for 384 yards and four touchdowns along with a punt return for a touchdown this season. “I am leaving everything out on the field to try to make plays when I can, whether it’s catching the ball, blocking or returning. I am really just trying to put myself in the position to make everybody else better.”

No matter how bleak things seemed, Callaway’s family knew he wouldn’t try to transfer or abandon the Vols. “Growing up, we always told him there was no quitting if you join a team,” his mother recalls. “You need to stay and have some integrity to stick it out. If you quit, you disappoint the coaches and other players and don’t learn anything.”

http://tnledger.com/knoxville/editorial/Article.aspx?id=122998

For guys like Callaway, I am so glad we have a coach and staff who didnt give up when Vol fans everywhere nearly gave up on them after 2 games. Glad they were able to turn it around inside the locker room and on the field to give their all for TN. Hope Callaway finds a good spot in the NFL.

This is why I hate when fans crap on the “Butch players.” Sure, there might be a few bad apples, but there are more guys like Callaway that are out there giving it their all.
All you've got to do is look at his recruiting classes then versus now. When Butch wasn't taking a chance on an injured player or superficially padding the roster with JUCOs, he was taking chances on high risk players (generally undersized athletes) with little chance of developing into SEC starters.

The few signees left who are giving their all are the exceptions, not the norm.

Last edited:
This is why I hate when fans crap on the “Butch players.” Sure, there might be a few bad apples, but there are more guys like Callaway that are out there giving it their all.
Why sh1t on this thread?

Reactions: dono

Agreed - problem was definitely Butch and it had nothing to do with the players he recruited.

Callaway has done allot with the chances he has gotten considering the lack of either our offensive line or quarterback play throughout the 4 years he's been a VOL. We can only imagine how good he could've done with better play from both but we will get to see it once he's playing in NFL just like Kamara and I for one are looking forward to it.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
For guys like Callaway, I am so glad we have a coach and staff who didnt give up when Vol fans everywhere nearly gave up on them after 2 games. Glad they were able to turn it around inside the locker room and on the field to give their all for TN. Hope Callaway finds a good spot in the NFL.
You know I HEARD a lot of vol fans giving up, but I’m not so sure most of them actually did.

I don't believe it was a full I indictment on every player, the ones that left were the quitters. I don't recall Calloway getting any negative reviews.

You know I HEARD a lot of vol fans giving up, but I’m not so sure most of them actually did.
Year after year, game after game, my wife has questioned me numerous times, “why put yourself through this?” Because my blood runs BIG ORANGE, that’s why! Guys like MC, who give every thing they have on the field, keep their nose clean off the field and genuinely love this university, are why I keep coming back for more!
Now let’s get ready to beat the he!! Outta little brother up north and take another step toward getting this program to the top!!
GBO!!

Great article. Sounds like a really good kid.

I remember being happy about Callaway's commitment. He has made many fabulous plays for the team, and I think of him being among Tennessee's all time great wide receivers.

VN Store

Back