Everything Pruitt Said After Kentucky Win

He really likes to overly focus on what the team does wrong, to the media. That attention to performance detail is what should make him a successful coach. But publicly I'd like to see him tone that down and spend more words on the good stuff.

Without a few big mistakes this would have been a blowout. The Chandler fumble and the roughing penalty in the 4th quarter are two examples that made this game close.

Wins like this though really can change the narrative for Pruitt and team. Having battered Vols Syndrome, I expected us to lose after the Chandler fumble and for them to hold them on the goal line stand shows that the culture is really changing.

He really likes to overly focus on what the team does wrong, to the media. That attention to performance detail is what should make him a successful coach. But publicly I'd like to see him tone that down and spend more words on the good stuff.

Really. As a fan, I was very disappointed in this performance. As He said We were LUCKY to win it. The only thing positive I saw was JG making some second half plays and the goal line stand. Other than that it was very Discombobulated . I'm GLAD Pruitt points out the negatives; that is what any good HC does.

It seems he focuses more on the negatives, with a splash of compliments when we win.

Pruitt is an interesting interview. He gets some softball questions where he could brag the team up and he points out what they could have done better. He says they should have stopped KY on the goal line stand and he would have been disappointed if they had not. I think he coaches hard and is trying to build an expectation of excellence leading toward a complete game which they have not played. Anyway what you see is what you get - a real football coach - who is turning a hard times program into a winner. Pruitt tolerates the press conferences and speaks to them like he would the team. Interesting guy and not a spin meister. The kids play hard for him and that is a crucial element. He also says wow they are now 5 and 5 the same place they were last year - not time for a victory lap.

Pruitt is an interesting interview. He gets some softball questions where he could brag the team up and he points out what they could have done better. He says they should have stopped KY on the goal line stand and he would have been disappointed if they had not. I think he coaches hard and is trying to build an expectation of excellence leading toward a complete game which they have not played. Anyway what you see is what you get - a real football coach - who is turning a hard times program into a winner. Pruitt tolerates the press conferences and speaks to them like he would the team. Interesting guy and not a spin meister. The kids play hard for him and that is a crucial element. He also says wow they are now 5 and 5 the same place they were last year - not time for a victory lap.

This makes his praise of Bituli all the more telling of what kind of player and man he is.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Not sure I saw a replay of Chandler’s fumble play but it looked like a homerun and that Ky was out of position. Happy the d. bailed Chandler and JG out but those 2 late in games are breaking stuff

Reactions: sjt18
Without a few big mistakes this would have been a blowout. The Chandler fumble and the roughing penalty in the 4th quarter are two examples that made this game close.

Wins like this though really can change the narrative for Pruitt and team. Having battered Vols Syndrome, I expected us to lose after the Chandler fumble and for them to hold them on the goal line stand shows that the culture is really changing.
That fumble might have been charged to Chandler, but it was all on the coaches for having JG in the game, making a handoff with a heavily wrapped and surgically repaired hand. If they want him in the, aight, I’ll go with it, but don’t have him trying to do something that he physically can’t do. So it’s either on JG for not changing the play or the staff for having him run the counter action play.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
At this level you have to earn the trophy.

Really. As a fan, I was very disappointed in this performance. As He said We were LUCKY to win it. The only thing positive I saw was JG making some second half plays and the goal line stand. Other than that it was very Discombobulated . I'm GLAD Pruitt points out the negatives; that is what any good HC does.
Well for example I would have loved to hear him break down and discuss the individual responsibilities and efforts of the key players on that last stop. Instead he only said (twice) "made a great stop on 4th down".

Reactions: Vol Main
UK got the game they wanted and then some... and UT still won. UK couldn't have hoped to start the game any better than that long drive and then the botched punt. They successfully kept UT's O on the sideline practically the whole first half.

He gave JG credit in the on field post game interview and was very positive.

Him speaking of the final goal line play
he expected us to make the stop , saying we had more people there than they did , he is not using hope as a plan.

Pruitt is really good at what, in corporate training, is called the "praise sandwich"

"They played crappy. I do love them, but they played crappy"

Or maybe he doesn't wear orange glasses when he looks at the performance on the field and gameday coaching?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
KY did a lot with that bye week. They put in a lot more option plays and tried to mimic GA State and some GA Tech strategies since those type plays gave us problems.

With that type offense, you are going to lose TOP and give up a lot of yardage. Just part of running that offense. I was most impressed by our in-game adjustments along the way and throwing a shutout for the last 3 quarters.

VN Store

Back