Evan Berry: what could have been

Our Pro Day participants compared to other programs in the SEC is marginal at best... Little talent on the roster

No. The talent on this roster is good. And it was ELITE in 2015 and 2016.

Look for the following guys from this draft class to have solid NFL careers:

RB John Kelly - elite NFL RB....Priest Holmes clone
DB Rashaan Gaulden - elite nickel corner
DT Kahlil McKenzie - solid starting NFL DT
KR Evan Berry - elite NFL kick returner
TE Ethan Wolf - solid NFL TE
P Trevor Daniel - solid NFL punter
DT Kendal Vickers - reminds me of Ray McDonald with solid NFL starter potential
CB Justin Martin - has NFL measurables with starter potential
CB Emmanuel Moseley - can be a reserve DB in the NFL

We have a lot more talent than Butch Jones coaching made it seem like we had.

Great, now he's got a fanboy.

fd2ccd8ec5b188d77a72947b8fac56d9.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Yeah, because the pro day today sure showed it lol. The scouts were underwhelmed because half the players were out of shape and stunk it up. What NFL team is going to want to draft a player who doesn’t already have discipline and motivation after college, when there are a ton of other guys with better numbers and are in shape and have motivation and discipline and don’t have to be fathered by and nagged by grown men, to do there job and grow up?

Reactions: 3 people
3-5 years? If you are going to continue to complain, at least get the facts right. rior to crashing and burning last year, TN won 9 games in successive years. He took the program up from where it was, he just couldn't maintain it. But to say the last 3-5 years is botched is misremembering the facts.

Want him back??Worst coach in NCAA any sport.Blew 4 two TD leads in '16, including the one at UF that cost him a division championship.. lost to USC, Vandy in the same year with overwhelming talent and BCS bowls on the line. Oh yeah,dont forget his three bowl victories .Cause he sure as **** wont let you.

Want him back??Worst coach in NCAA any sport.Blew 4 two TD leads in '16, including the one at UF that cost him a division championship.. lost to USC, Vandy in the same year with overwhelming talent and BCS bowls on the line. Oh yeah,dont forget his three bowl victories .Cause he sure as **** wont let you.

Overreact much? Show me where I even hinted I wanted him back.

Reactions: 3 people
3-5 years? If you are going to continue to complain, at least get the facts right. rior to crashing and burning last year, TN won 9 games in successive years. He took the program up from where it was, he just couldn't maintain it. But to say the last 3-5 years is botched is misremembering the facts.

The problem was not with winning game, regardless of the number. It was who he lost to and the mistakes made doing it. This does not take into consideration the coaching mistakes he made while winning. Many on here and other places were just not comfortable or confident that he was the coach that kept making a record that look good. Many of us felt it was in spite of him and a credit to the the players ability that made the good record showing.

Butch was a heck of a recruiter/closer....because at heart he is a salesman; a "salesman for him". That's it.

He sold the fans on him.
He sold the university on him.
He sold his players on him.

Unfortunately, sales will only take you so far. At some point, you have to deliver. He reminds me of some people I used to work with in corporate America. I would leave meetings asking, "Why can't they see through his bulls..t?". Finally they would and the cards came down very quickly - just like they did with Butch.

Kamara an all star in the NFL had to compete for a carry at Tennessee. I expect a lot of players were not playing at their best position with Butch that is one glow of hope I have that Pruitt will have the right guys where they need to be and this will in effect make us a lot better for that reason only.

Can’t believe how botched up the last 3-5 years have been. So much talent, so few wins. Same thing happening with Warlick.
7 HS A-A and she can’t beat a mediocre Oregon State team at home for a Sweet 16 berth!

Don't get me started on Warlick. Having set plays to beat a 2-3 zone is basketball 101.

Derek Dooley agrees

Dooley had the offensive talent to score, but nothing like Dobbs/Kamara/Hurd/Kelly/Barnett talent.

Hell, as we are now seeing in the NFL, Patterson was probably just too dumb to be used, or he would've done it even more.

It was almost criminal to have Byrd on offense and Berry on defense....I mean wtf?? I am only an armchair coach and I can even see that!!

Butch Jones is not the blame for Berry struggles. Berry could never stay healthy

Played in all 13 games as a sophomore, never as anything more than a kick returner. While I agree with you that Evan generally had trouble staying healthy, he was still poorly utilized as a backup safety who rarely ever played there. He was arguably the most dynamic player we had on the roster with the ball in his hands.....yet Lyle saw to it that he never had the ball in his hands. Evan played in 31 games at Tennessee, and never on offense where most think he could’ve really excelled and helped.

UF has elite talent also I guess

So you would have played him instead of Malone and Jennings and the others?

We didn’t have either of those guys last year. But even when we did I think Evan earned a chance to get the ball once or twice a game at the very minimum.

If we gave Evan the same amount of targets that we gave Josh Smith, which was not many, who do you think would have been more of a dynamic playmaker?

And that’s not a knock on Josh, it’s more about praise for Evan. I would say the same for Josh Palmer, Jason Croom, Jeff George and Tyler Byrd.

VN Store

Back