Europe Trip

Was glad to see turnovers down to 14. That's still too many versus an inferior team though. Hope Kellie can coach the players to where tos are down without making them become timid. As always, so excited about this season. Thought things would be different last year after the 15 win start. Long about late December 2018, I really did think the Lady Vols would have a better record than the year before. They beat TX and trounced schools like TN State - just like they have the European teams on this wonderful trip.

Thank goodness for a new coach. Good luck Coach Harper and TN Lady Vols. So hoping for a great season this year.

UT finished with 17 steals and generated 24 turnovers vs. their opponent while committing 14 of their own. Several miscues occurred when players stepped out of bounds while possessing the ball near the tighter sideline outside the longer three-point arc dictated by FIBA rules.

Maybe stepping out of bounds near the tighter sideline was part of the turnovers, something we don’t normally play around on our court here in US.

adjusting to shooting with the International ball. I read our Australian freshman hit two threes and expect her country may use the smaller ball. Personally I have been pro the Globetrotter balls. There was concern several years ago when a new ball had a difficult surface and players had difficulty adjusting. (I write this with some degree of humor because every year we read about baseballs changing, and of course the NFL had a scandal on a football was was not correctly inflated. And the documentary on football/soccer where youth in poorer countries are playing with a torn non-inflated ball with great joy and enthusiasm)

adjusting to shooting with the International ball. I read our Australian freshman hit two threes and expect her country may use the smaller ball. Personally I have been pro the Globetrotter balls. There was concern several years ago when a new ball had a difficult surface and players had difficulty adjusting. (I write this with some degree of humor because every year we read about baseballs changing, and of course the NFL had a scandal on a football was was not correctly inflated. And the documentary on football/soccer where youth in poorer countries are playing with a torn non-inflated ball with great joy and enthusiasm)

You talking about the 10-panel ball?
It was supposed to help with grip....it didn't

Attachments

• 20190814_115002.jpg
    20190814_115002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
UT finished with 17 steals and generated 24 turnovers vs. their opponent while committing 14 of their own. Several miscues occurred when players stepped out of bounds while possessing the ball near the tighter sideline outside the longer three-point arc dictated by FIBA rules.

Maybe stepping out of bounds near the tighter sideline was part of the turnovers, something we don’t normally play around on our court here in US.

I saw they shot 42%, which is reason to temper expectations.

They have a lot of work to do, but I wholeheartedly think they are trending upwards.

They have a lot of work to do, but I wholeheartedly think they are trending upwards.

Tennessee started its third different lineup of the trip and continued to get looks at every player and with numerous lineup combinations.

There is obviously a lot of experimenting going on right now.

I would think the different ball would play some into that.

What we’ll never know is whether the smaller FIBA ball hurt or helped Tennessee’s shooting percentage. It would be interesting to know how the players feel about the smaller ball after having practiced and played with it beginning with the run-up to the tour. Did they think it made it easier for them to handle and shoot, or did they feel like they’d have made more shots with the NCAA ball?

Shot 45 percent in game one and 54 percent in game two. Team has a long way to go in determining starters and rotation, but I think Davis, Burrell, Massengill, and Green all showed a lot on the trip as did freshman Key. A couple months to continue to work on team unity and getting the new system down. Expectations are certainly to be better on defense vs the dribble drive and controlling the three point line. If were gonna be better this is where it will happen more than on offense.

Shot 45 percent in game one and 54 percent in game two. Team has a long way to go in determining starters and rotation, but I think Davis, Burrell, Massengill, and Green all showed a lot on the trip as did freshman Key. A couple months to continue to work on team unity and getting the new system down. Expectations are certainly to be better on defense vs the dribble drive and controlling the three point line. If were gonna be better this is where it will happen more than on offense.

This, times a-thousand.
*And, I'd love to hear/read more from anyone who saw the games in entirety.*
Judging by what we've seen since Missouri State's mid-winter run, and considering the recent play of the three fabulous sophomores and the three new posts, I think we'll see a near-continuous flow of players ...on into March, 2020. There's nothing to indicate otherwise, with Rennia Davis, and probably Kasi K. being the closest thing to penciled in for their expected leadership.
As for the freshmen/new-comers at Forward/Post, to include Jaiden, Tamari Key is the highest-rated of the group; but is the drop off so profound that the others will sit?
Highly doubtful.
Did anyone see significant separation among the talented sophomores?
And, how'bout that Horston kid from Ohio? My Oh My!
Jessie Rennie is a very interesting player. Can she score on, and guard her position? I think Coach Kellie thinks she can. The stakes are too high to have signed this sharpshooter as a diplomatic gesture; as a "role player." It would be a disservice to Coach and Player to have her (and on several occasions, her parents/family) trek all the way from Australia ...to "watch" Lady Vols Basketball.

U T @ ETSU coming right up!
And, just a few miles from here!
Cheers!

Last years team shot 43% from the field, that ranked 6th in the SEC, just behind SC at 5th and 43.4%, but well behind Mississippi State who was 1st at 49.3 PPG. I think it is reasonable to hope that we shoot something closer to 45-46% this year, now that we will likely have an offense put in place. I also expect Rae and Zaay to shoot 40%+.

Assuming we took the same amount of shots through three games (which is unlikely, but we'll go with it), we would have shot an average of 47% on FGs. For comparison, Mississippi State shot 43% on their foreign tour (though 6 games and tougher competition). I think we're in a good place at this point. I think this was a really good year to have the foreign tour.

Did Lou Brown not play at all in the 3 games?

Lou was mentioned in the first game recap, credited with 8 rebounds. I don’t remember reading about her in the 2nd and 3rd game recap but that doesn’t mean she didn’t play.

Last edited:
Not bad, when you think about it...Golden State shoots 49% and look what they accomplish

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/team-...TING&group=1&time=0&pos=0&team=1&opp=0&page=1

49% in the NBA is a far cry from 42% against overmatched teams. Unless they are firing away from deep, this could mean a lot of missed layups and other close shots. I don't want to see a repeat of the offense from the last 6 years, which was to throw the ball in the general vicinity of the basket and count on being taller, stronger and faster to grab the rebound and repeat until you score. That won't work against the better competition.

It's nice to see they are winning big, but I hope that fundamentals are enforced as much as just winning.

Lou was mentioned in the first game recap, credited with 8 rebounds. I don’t remember reading about her in the 2nd and 3rd game recap but that doesn’t mean she didn’t play.

I can't remember which game recap it was, i believe the 2nd video (now i have to go look lol) it showed Lou grab a rebound and lay it back in.

No,
because I have a phone and will call

I got word back via email:

+++
Hi, Coach J. Thanks for reaching out. We provided recaps of the games and that’s all of the stats that we will be providing. It’s no different from the previous Italy trip, preseason closed scrimmages, etc... These games and stats are unofficial, out of season and don’t count toward records.

I hope you understand that and can appreciate the fact we did keep and share some of our own stats so parents and the public would at least have something to learn about each of the games.

+++

I am sure someone tracked it, but I am equally sure that Coach K and company are smart enough to use the vids and stats while they are in practice mode...Not sharing them builds trust with the players.

Stats and vids prompt questions or concerns.
Right now, the coaching staff can utilize these things with discretion...
Make the stats and videos public and you get people telling you who your starting 5 should be.

They shared enough to get an idea of who were the major players. Key had 15 and 11 one game nothing on the other two but she seems to be progressing quite well for a freshman. Davis had double figures in all three games and also rebounded well. Rae seemed to be close to a double double in every game which gives you a thought that she has been working hard on her game and should be vastly improved over next season. Massengill also had some really strong stats in these games especially in the assist column. Only stats given for Jordan were that she hit 6 of 7 shots attempts and scored 14 points in one of the games. A lot of rebounding totals were given and seems KK, Brown, and Key were always getting at least seven or eight when they played. Burrell seemed to be the leading rebounder on the team. Green hit all but one shot in one of the games and seemed to play well in all the games.
Anyone can draw their own conclusions on how efficient and productive this team will be when the season rolls around. Right now my expectations that several of the perimeter players are going to be a lot better much improved and that the system they will play in will also be to their benefit over what they played in last season. I also see no way we want be better in the post because we have two freshmen with height and length to go with two experienced players that will give us a rotation where everyone can play aggressive and not have to play to the extent they are fatigued or afraid of foul trouble. In the highlights of these games we seemed to be sharing the ball much better and looking for the open player. We still need a lot more information to determine where this team is and what their potential for the season will be, but I think this staff is off to a good start and hope that by the time November gets here we'll have a team we can be proud of.

They shared enough to get an idea of who were the major players. Key had 15 and 11 one game nothing on the other two but she seems to be progressing quite well for a freshman. Davis had double figures in all three games and also rebounded well. Rae seemed to be close to a double double in every game which gives you a thought that she has been working hard on her game and should be vastly improved over next season. Massengill also had some really strong stats in these games especially in the assist column. Only stats given for Jordan were that she hit 6 of 7 shots attempts and scored 14 points in one of the games. A lot of rebounding totals were given and seems KK, Brown, and Key were always getting at least seven or eight when they played. Burrell seemed to be the leading rebounder on the team. Green hit all but one shot in one of the games and seemed to play well in all the games.
Anyone can draw their own conclusions on how efficient and productive this team will be when the season rolls around. Right now my expectations that several of the perimeter players are going to be a lot better much improved and that the system they will play in will also be to their benefit over what they played in last season. I also see no way we want be better in the post because we have two freshmen with height and length to go with two experienced players that will give us a rotation where everyone can play aggressive and not have to play to the extent they are fatigued or afraid of foul trouble. In the highlights of these games we seemed to be sharing the ball much better and looking for the open player. We still need a lot more information to determine where this team is and what their potential for the season will be, but I think this staff is off to a good start and hope that by the time November gets here we'll have a team we can be proud of.
Kellie’s radio interview about the European trip

https://ondemand-us-wdc01.cdnstream...232__8baf738fc62e7f1f1b63a42ac2b168ca95b3cbea

VN Store

Back