Europe Trip

......One thing I saw that I did not like was a player getting the ball under the basket and bouncing it before she shot the layup. Do not want to dribble unless you are moving somewhere to get a better shot.

excellent read.
That stupid "power-dribble layup" method, taught in the nineties should have stayed in the 90's

As I posted in another thread, I'd like to see execution in a half court offense. Running, steals, and layups are how we started out last year. The team won 15 straight against mostly weak teams. During SEC play, the team encountered zone defense; plus teams they could not out run. The team then struggled when trying to execute a half court offense. I hope these coaches work extensively on half court execution during the coming months. I'm sure we'll see zone defenses when playing well coached opponents. I hope we will have consistent 3 point shooters to break a zone; who are also quick enough to guard talented opponents.

P.S. My first impression of Jordan Horston? If her mental game is as strong as her physical game, one day Lady Vol lore’s Big Three will be Holdsclaw, Parker and Horston.

Yes, I realize it sounds like I may be a bit of a lunatic to make that statement after only seeing her for a few seconds in a game against a vastly inferior opponent. Regardless, I’ll stand by the statement.

Horston is going to be SPECIAL.

P.S. My first impression of Jordan Horston? If her mental game is as strong as her physical game, one day Lady Vol lore’s Big Three will be Holdsclaw, Parker and Horston.

Yes, I realize it sounds like I may be a bit of a lunatic to make that statement after only seeing her for a few seconds in a game against a vastly inferior opponent. Regardless, I’ll stand by the statement.

Horston is going to be SPECIAL.

I've been spotting talent for years....She will be special
It's just a matter of where
If CK can understand the difference between handling thoroughbreds and quarter horses,,,she will be special,,Here.!

Reactions: Remy
As I posted in another thread, I'd like to see execution in a half court offense. Running, steals, and layups are how we started out last year. The team won 15 straight against mostly weak teams. During SEC play, the team encountered zone defense; plus teams they could not out run. The team then struggled when trying to execute a half court offense. I hope these coaches work extensively on half court execution during the coming months. I'm sure we'll see zone defenses when playing well coached opponents. I hope we will have consistent 3 point shooters to break a zone; who are also quick enough to guard talented opponents.

I’m 100% in agreement. I believe Kellie and staff will be working hard to fulfill our hopes for this team, but I’m going to try to be realistic about how much time it may take to achieve those goals. I am encouraged that she was already working on getting the team to shut down the 3pt shooters in the second game. She’s got soooooo much to do in a very short time.

As far as OUR 3-pt shooting, it would make my season as a fan if the Lady Vols could once again put someone on the floor who can consistently hit those shots.

I’m 100% in agreement. I believe Kellie and staff will be working hard to fulfill our hopes for this team, but I’m going to try to be realistic about how much time it may take to achieve those goals. I am encouraged that she was already working on getting the team to shut down the 3pt shooters in the second game. She’s got soooooo much to do in a very short time.

As far as OUR 3-pt shooting, it would make my season as a fan if the Lady Vols could once again put someone on the floor who can consistently hit those shots.

Its not up to them to put someone in that role,,,this is what off-season is for.....
it is up to one/several of those players to work on this aspect of their game and become this needed commodity

In the Lady Vol Report 7/31 or so Kellie said she wanted to see heart, hustle, and then joked about needing to probably putting in an out of bounds play. She then went on to say most of their time spent together has been working on fundamentals that needed to be addressed so seeing what the offensive package/sets would probably not happen yet because she has been very deliberate in the way they are implementing things.

I get what you are saying because I was def also tired of pass pass pass shoot because there is no other choice. If you look at some of Kellies Mo St sets they get the shots to the open players now them hitting the shots was a different story lol

Guys, all of your posts are spot on...Simply great!

Coach J , outstanding analysis, as always.....Glad you are a member of this board.

Ivocd....I'm also dreaming of seeing several 3 pt. shooters arise and bomb from behind the arc....Got so sick of the 3 pt. shot being a bad word with the former coaching staff...

Like all of you guys, I hope they (coaches) are working on the half court offense attack....We do know the zone defense will be employed by many opponents....Those 3 point shooters, we dream of, will be able to bust em up, and then slice and dice to the basket with our talented guards..

Man, I got excited typing that.....

Yes, the half court offense and outside shooting need to improve greatly for the LVs to really contend at the national level.

But, let's not forget just how BAD the LVs were defensively, particularly during crunch time stretches. Had the LVs been able to defend adequately, they could have easily 6-8 more games (if not more).

So, even of the half court offense remains a work in progress (and that aspect of the game does take some time to gel),. just bringing an intense and fundamentally sound approach to the defense (and generating offense through turnovers and ball pressure), will go a long way toward having a more successful season.

Last edited:
Its not up to them to put someone in that role,,,this is what off-season is for.....
it is up to one/several of those players to work on this aspect of their game and become this needed commodity

I get your point (and I’m playing devil’s advocate here) but as a coach you should give yourself a little more credit: It absolutely will be up to them - the ones who can be fired.
To date, we have a couple lopsided scores and approximately 4 highlighted minutes to suggest that we’re at least inching our way back to relevance, then greatness; which I think will happen sooner than later, because Coach Kellie and staff are apparently pushing all the right buttons and the Lady Vols are playing pretty well as individuals, and as a team, albeit in what thus far, have been total athletic mismatches.
So, I don’t worry so much whether we’ll have the shooters - we certainly have them - but rather, that we have good/great players ...who can shoot. And, Please forgive me for saying so, but even The Great One had several, excellent shooters, who weren’t very good basketball players.
What I’m awkwardly trying to say is, (I think) Coach Kellie will distribute playing time based on a pre-determined “whole player” philosophy: those who can run the court (under control), play and defend multiple positions, rebound and initiate, and ...SEE the game, will get more minutes. The days of purposeless, head-down dribbling are (hopefully) over.

Reactions: Amb3096
I get your point (and I’m playing devil’s advocate here) but as a coach you should give yourself a little more credit: It absolutely will be up to them - the ones who can be fired.
To date, we have a couple lopsided scores and approximately 4 highlighted minutes to suggest that we’re at least inching our way back to relevance, then greatness; which I think will happen sooner than later, because Coach Kellie and staff are apparently pushing all the right buttons and the Lady Vols are playing pretty well as individuals, and as a team, albeit in what thus far, have been total athletic mismatches.
So, I don’t worry so much whether we’ll have the shooters - we certainly have them - but rather, that we have good/great players ...who can shoot. And, Please forgive me for saying so, but even The Great One had several, excellent shooters, who weren’t very good basketball players.
What I’m awkwardly trying to say is, (I think) Coach Kellie will distribute playing time based on a pre-determined “whole player” philosophy: those who can run the court (under control), play and defend multiple positions, rebound and initiate, and ...SEE the game, will get more minutes. The days of purposeless, head-down dribbling are (hopefully) over.

It is up to the coach to tell them what to work on, but as far as setting this up for them, the coaches are limited in whom they can use in arrangement with the university,
The athlete isn't
As long as the athlete themself sets it up, they can work out with pretty much anyone,,as long as it isn't arranged by the institution.

At least that is how I read NCAA : 11.7.1.1 Countable Coach

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Basketball IQ is something that is very essential in the game...even a pick-up game at the local rec center can have good execution if you have the intelligence to play the game. I think Kellie is trying to determine the IQ of the group of athletes after all this is kinda like rec ball at this particular time.

It is up to the coach to tell them what to work on, but as far as setting this up for them, the coaches are limited in whom they can use in arrangement with the university,
The athlete isn't
As long as the athlete themself sets it up, they can work out with pretty much anyone,,as long as it isn't arranged by the institution.

At least that is how I read NCAA : 11.7.1.1 Countable Coach

Every player should already know that they must work on their game.
On their own.
They didn’t reach the SEC level of play, through ignorant bliss.
And, your coaching knowledge or integrity are not in question.
It might be just semantics, but where you stated that it’s up to the players to choose certain roles, I see things a little bit differently: If Coach Kellie continues the recent months and years trend of playing individuals according to her pre-set standards and expectations, there will be no lack of effort and initiative.
But, she MUST be the one who selects roles, because her livelihood and paycheck depend on this most-critical skill.
If we disagree, it’s not on the particulars of the NCAA Handbook, but rather, that I have more confidence in this coaching staff to put the right players in their proper roles.
Cheers.

Every player should already know that they must work on their game.
On their own.
They didn’t reach the SEC level of play, through ignorant bliss.
And, your coaching knowledge or integrity are not in question.
It might be just semantics, but where you stated that it’s up to the players to choose certain roles, I see things a little bit differently: If Coach Kellie continues the recent months and years trend of playing individuals according to her pre-set standards and expectations, there will be no lack of effort and initiative.
But, she MUST be the one who selects roles, because her livelihood and paycheck depend on this most-critical skill.
If we disagree, it’s not on the particulars of the NCAA Handbook, but rather, that I have more confidence in this coaching staff to put the right players in their proper roles.
Cheers.

agreed on all counts

The Lady Vols make their way to France on Sunday and will meet Parisian Select at Gymnase Joliot Curie in Brétigny-sur-Orge on Tuesday at 5 p.m. local time (11 a.m. ET) to close out the three-game schedule.

Their last game is in the morning, our time. Hope we get to see a lot of highlight video, and stats, too. GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: Volfan1017
I have been trying to find information on the roster and experience of the Parisian Select team that the Lady Vols will be playing tomorrow (actually later today where they are), without a lot of success. I did find that they played a game against Virginia Tech on Monday afternoon, Paris time. There is some video on the Virginia Tech site along with some limited discussion about five Hokies being in double figures. And, if my observation is correct, it appears to me that Virginia Tech won the game 101-27. (This came from what looked to be the final score on the scoreboard in the video at about the 2:04 mark). It also appeared that the Hokies had a significant height advantage over their Parisian counterparts, which based on their roster information, means that the Lady Vols will also.

Jim

VN Store

Back