ESPN's Way-too-early Top 25

When I look at this list right here, I think lady vols should fit in at least top 20

Women's college basketball's Way-Too-Early Top 25: South Carolina still on top, Baylor rising
1. South Carolina Gamecocks
2. Stanford Cardinal
3. Baylor Lady Bears
4. UConn Huskies
5. Louisville Cardinals
6. Mississippi State Bulldogs
7. NC State Wolfpack
8. Arizona Wildcats
9. UCLA Bruins
10. Oregon Ducks
11. Kentucky Wildcats
12. Maryland Terrapins
13. Arkansas Razorbacks
14. Texas A &m Aggies
15. Oregon State Beavers
16. Northwestern Wildcats
17. Indiana Hoosiers
18. Iowa State Cyclones
19. DePaul Blue Demons
20. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
21. Ohio State Buckeyes
22. Missouri State Lady Bears
23. Syracuse Orange
24. Gonzaga Bulldogs
25. Michigan Wolverines

DItto. Even though they had no bad losses, they didn't have any good ones either. They aren't coming in with a highly rated recruiting class, so I'm not surprised that Tennessee is not on anyone's list.

TN will have its opportunities to prove itself and it needs to do so. I want them to earn the respect because it will taste all that much better.

however let’s be honest there are some teams on here that just purely over ranked or ranked at all and shouldn’t be. lol MD to me is one of those teams. it lost some really good players to graduation and transfer. So being a top 12 team is hard for me to swallow. now the big 10 should help them keep its ranking but seriously ranked too high imo. Oregon lost a lot too and while they do get a transfer and Prince in action there are still a lot of question marks. Ohio State makes me scratch my head too.

just my opinion but i am a TN fan and i am looking forward and hoping these ladies play with a chip on their shoulders.

When I look at this list right here, I think lady vols should fit in at least top 20

Women's college basketball's Way-Too-Early Top 25: South Carolina still on top, Baylor rising
1. South Carolina Gamecocks
2. Stanford Cardinal
3. Baylor Lady Bears
4. UConn Huskies
5. Louisville Cardinals
6. Mississippi State Bulldogs
7. NC State Wolfpack
8. Arizona Wildcats
9. UCLA Bruins
10. Oregon Ducks
11. Kentucky Wildcats
12. Maryland Terrapins
13. Arkansas Razorbacks
14. Texas A &m Aggies
15. Oregon State Beavers
16. Northwestern Wildcats
17. Indiana Hoosiers
18. Iowa State Cyclones
19. DePaul Blue Demons
20. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
21. Ohio State Buckeyes
22. Missouri State Lady Bears
23. Syracuse Orange
24. Gonzaga Bulldogs
25. Michigan Wolverines

Brutal, thanks for listing though.

Reactions: sisaq
What's worrisome is that we may not have enough wins to make the tournament given the percentage of Top 25 teams we'll play and have to beat to get there. It's feeling pretty daunting.

TN will have its opportunities to prove itself and it needs to do so. I want them to earn the respect because it will taste all that much better.

however let’s be honest there are some teams on here that just purely over ranked or ranked at all and shouldn’t be. lol MD to me is one of those teams. it lost some really good players to graduation and transfer. So being a top 12 team is hard for me to swallow. now the big 10 should help them keep its ranking but seriously ranked too high imo. Oregon lost a lot too and while they do get a transfer and Prince in action there are still a lot of question marks. Ohio State makes me scratch my head too.

just my opinion but i am a TN fan and i am looking forward and hoping these ladies play with a chip on their shoulders.

I think Oregon is being propped up not just by the transfers, but also (I think) the #1 rated recruiting class for 2020. Maryland has a talented roster and could stay in the top 15 if they can avoid injuries to their frontcourt. I don't know if Bibby is applying for a waiver, but if she is eligible, she would be an immediate impact player that would strengthen their frontcourt.

Tennessee is probably just as good as the teams in the 15-25 range, and will need to prove it on the court. I think we're well past the point where the Tennessee name carries enough weight to automatically ensure a top 25 ranking, especially coming off a so-so year, losing a starter, and without any big name newcomers joining the team. If the transfers come in ready to play and the freshmen provide depth, I think it's more likely than not that they enter the rankings by the mid-point of SEC play.

What's worrisome is that we may not have enough wins to make the tournament given the percentage of Top 25 teams we'll play and have to beat to get there. It's feeling pretty daunting.

I don't know who is on the OOC schedule, but assuming UConn, Stanford, Texas and ND are there...I don't see them beating any of those teams. Tennessee will need to beat some of the teams in the top 1/2 of the SEC standings...which they couldn't do last year.

Reactions: lfvol
A team with Rennia Davis and a dynamic point guard and a 6’5” center better be finding its way into the Top 25 and into the Big Dance as well. That better be happening now in the weight room and on the track. The expectations should have been delivered already, and this way-too-early Top 25 should just serve as a fire starter.

I don't know who is on the OOC schedule, but assuming UConn, Stanford, Texas and ND are there...I don't see them beating any of those teams. Tennessee will need to beat some of the teams in the top 1/2 of the SEC standings...which they couldn't do last year.

you don’t see them beating notre dame even ?

you don’t see them beating notre dame even ?

I don't, because I think ND has better talent. Maybe no one as good individually as Rennia, but they look to have very good balance. They got hammered last year with injuries, so if they have everyone back plus a strong freshmen class, I think they are the better team. They will actually have depth again.

Reactions: volnationnj
I don't, because I think ND has better talent. Maybe no one as good individually as Rennia, but they look to have very good balance. They got hammered last year with injuries, so if they have everyone back plus a strong freshmen class, I think they are the better team. They will actually have depth again.

Hmmm... interesting. Well here’s hoping the LVs prove you wrong😎🏀

Hmmm... interesting. Well here’s hoping the LVs prove you wrong😎🏀

They very well could. I don't think Kellie has completely turned the corner yet based on last season, but there is no doubt Tennessee has talent. ND is one of those teams where they aren't significantly overmatched like they'd be against UConn or SC. In other words, the exact kind of team that Kellie needs to prove she can pull out a win against. Maybe Tennessee isn't ready to beat the top 15 teams, but the lower half of the top 25 is where they can prove themselves against.

They very well could. I don't think Kellie has completely turned the corner yet based on last season, but there is no doubt Tennessee has talent. ND is one of those teams where they aren't significantly overmatched like they'd be against UConn or SC. In other words, the exact kind of team that Kellie needs to prove she can pull out a win against. Maybe Tennessee isn't ready to beat the top 15 teams, but the lower half of the top 25 is where they can prove themselves against.

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Are we still supposed to have only a 16-game schedule, or was that number increased? We played 16 conference games last season, so THAT’s why I was worried we wouldn’t have enough OOC games. How will the SEC opponents be divvied up? Hopefully we won’t end up getting shafted.

The 2020-21 SEC women’s basketball conference schedule remains at 18 play dates that will fit a 16-game league schedule.

Earlier this month, the NCAA Division I Council approved a Nov. 25 start date for the 2020-21 men’s and women’s college basketball seasons, when the SEC will begin non-conference play. Teams can begin preseason practice on Wednesday, Oct. 14 and will have a 42-day window to conduct no more than 30 practices.

SEC announces official start dates for upcoming men’s and women’s basketball seasons

The 2020-21 SEC women’s basketball conference schedule remains at 18 play dates that will fit a 16-game league schedule.

Earlier this month, the NCAA Division I Council approved a Nov. 25 start date for the 2020-21 men’s and women’s college basketball seasons, when the SEC will begin non-conference play. Teams can begin preseason practice on Wednesday, Oct. 14 and will have a 42-day window to conduct no more than 30 practices.

SEC announces official start dates for upcoming men’s and women’s basketball seasons

On top of Stanford, Texas, Uconn and ND who were scheduled we are also supposed to make a trip up to WVU as part of the SEC/BIGXII challenge

all those games but texas are supposed to be played in TBA. so depending on travel bans and rules for each state and conference those games may have to be postponed. So the OOC schedule could look very different.

It’s not even October. Concede nothing!

good advice...And let it sink in a little just how far we have fallen
also let it sink in to the fans that the list-makers were fooled by the CHW regime and gave us much more benefit of the doubt than we deserved

Also of note is the fact that we DO have Horston, Key, Davis, Burrell and a host of very highly considered players, who, once they get properly coached, will take us right back where we belong

VN Store

Back