ESPN Website

Vol_in_NC_1999

I went to ESPN.com (I don't know why I do anymore) and the top headlines show Kentucky, Kansas and Duke in that order with the Kentucky photo/article featuring, "Coaches' questions: What's it like preparing for conference tourneys?" This is not new. I'm used to our Vols not being mentioned in headlines in spite of the amazing season we've had. I was hoping to see a nice article about our senior night...but you have to scroll way down to see "No. 5 Tennessee wins on senior night". Ok I get it, we're not a historical basketball power. But if you look at the "Top Headlines" to the right you see, "Vols Students Protest after Campus Controversy." It pisses me off that ESPN has to make this a "Top Headline" when the real headline should be our seniors and the journey they made starting with a new coach 4 years ago and being projected to finish next to last in the SEC as recently as last year.

I went to ESPN.com (I don't know why I do anymore) and the top headlines show Kentucky, Kansas and Duke in that order with the Kentucky photo/article featuring, "Coaches' questions: What's it like preparing for conference tourneys?" This is not new. I'm used to our Vols not being mentioned in headlines in spite of the amazing season we've had. I was hoping to see a nice article about our senior night...but you have to scroll way down to see "No. 5 Tennessee wins on senior night". Ok I get it, we're not a historical basketball power. But if you look at the "Top Headlines" to the right you see, "Vols Students Protest after Campus Controversy." It pisses me off that ESPN has to make this a "Top Headline" when the real headline should be our seniors and the journey they made starting with a new coach 4 years ago and being projected to finish next to last in the SEC as recently as last year.
Did you watch the game last night?

Most of that game, including the entire second half, was basically an infomercial for this year's team. Dane Bradshaw was the color guy, for crying out loud.

We don't send former player to the ESPN booth or to write articles for them. We have so many players in the NFL and some in the NBA or coaching... So i would expect them to hate us, because they couldn't make it to the pros. :p

05 I appreciate your response. Maybe I should change the headline to something more along the lines of "I didn't like what I saw on ESPN's website." It does not reflect ESPN as a whole.
And admittedly that game was on SEC Network, which has more of an interest in specifically promoting SEC teams. You wouldn't have found that type of coverage on Tennessee on any other ESPN channel.

Well I posted this in the football forum so that shows you how much of a rookie I am generating posts! I appreciate everyone's comments though. If any moderator wants to move it to the basketball thread, please do. Thanks.

Last edited:
"Coaches' questions: What's it like preparing for conference tourneys?"

- I'm not sure Tennessee is the team you would ask (40 years!!!)

Each time I go to the NCAAM section of ESPN one of the 5 headlines has Zion in every time. No matter if they played a game or not. No matter if he played. I don't have to read about UT but it would be nice to see the real headlines each week and not just what Zion was wearing on the bench or whatever. Gets old but hey I like to complain.

OP, this is why so many around here despise ESPN. I only watch games they broadcast. Everything else is as stupid at the ABC propaganda that they own as well.

Thanks. I just wanted make sure I wasn't crazy or overreacting. Ok maybe I did a little, but it strikes a bit of a nerve when ESPN puts the protests in the headlines (since that's what sells and gets "clicks", yet we have to dig to find a good article like Wes Rucker's on how special this senior class is.

Reactions: livefaith
ESPN thinks the only basketball team in the SEC is Kentucky just like they think the only ACC team is Duke

Last edited:
You aren't wrong OP, but I learned years ago that it was best to expect absolutely nothing like fairness from the sports media, ESPN in particular. All you are doing is riling yourself up and raising your blood pressure. They won't change. If we were to win the championship, which is a big if, after an obligatory article or two explaining who won, they'll be writing a way too early top 25 for next year in no time, explaining how Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. are going to be unstoppable next year.

As March Madness gets close the media is really pushing Kensucky and Lsu as sec and ncaa tournament teams can make a deep run without mentioning Vols much, I hope this only motivate the team even more on road to Final Four!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Why doesn't ESPN love me? Why,why,why?????. Damn we sound pathetic. You know why ESPN hypes Duke, Kansas and UNC? Because year after year, they are in the discussion of the best in CBB. That simple. When UT has a consistent top ten team that actually makes it to at least 1 final 4 then we can complain about the coverage. It is not a conspiracy. There are many more die hard fans of those BB teams than there are UT BB fans. FACT. Don't believe me? Next time UT goes .500 in SEC play, post something here and see how long it takes to get 100 views. By the way OP, the article that you sited about "coaches questions" has a picture of Kentucky....playing UT.

You should send them a sternly worded letter.

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back