ESPN trying to work another “Woodson”

wmcovol

Except this time it’s with the CFP pushing for Cincinnati to be included instead of schools from P5 that might have 1 loss. All of their commentators have Cincy in the top 4 today over other P5 unbeatens OU & Mich St. Seems they’re building the case for Cincy early despite their schedule is pretty weak rest of the way.

Maybe some of you think a team playing in the AAC deserves the bid over OU, Ohio St or a 1 loss Mich St but I don’t. Cincy has a win over ND, a beat up ND at that. That’s pretty much their resume. They do have a game vs SMU but SMU has beat the same group of stiffs as Cincy for the most part.

I’m not a P5 or nothing guy, I just don’t see Cincinnati being on par with the teams I’ve seen. I know they wouldn’t stay undefeated if the played a string of 5 SEC games in 6 weeks.

Except this time it’s with the CFP pushing for Cincinnati to be included instead of schools from P5 that might have 1 loss. All of their commentators have Cincy in the top 4 today over other P5 unbeatens OU & Mich St. Seems they’re building the case for Cincy early despite their schedule is pretty weak rest of the way.

Maybe some of you think a team playing in the AAC deserves the bid over OU, Ohio St or a 1 loss Mich St but I don’t. Cincy has a win over ND, a beat up ND at that. That’s pretty much their resume. They do have a game vs SMU but SMU has beat the same group of stiffs as Cincy for the most part.

I’m not a P5 or nothing guy, I just don’t see Cincinnati being on par with the teams I’ve seen. I know they wouldn’t stay undefeated if the played a string of 5 SEC games in 6 weeks.
Cinn definitely would be in over OSU. Only win of some note by OSU is PSU. You stated MSU has a loss which they don’t at this point. If MSU wins out they will be in. OSU will need to win out and hope they gain ground. Their problem is if they play in Big 10 Champ game they will not be playing a high ranked team or maybe not even a ranked team. OU is undefeated but has not played a team that is currently ranked. They do have Baylor and OSU left so have a chance to move up. All this to say it will be interesting.

Reactions: onthehill71
Cinn definitely would be in over OSU. Only win of some note by OSU is PSU. You stated MSU has a loss which they don’t at this point. If MSU wins out they will be in. OSU will need to win out and hope they gain ground. Their problem is if they play in Big 10 Champ game they will not be playing a high ranked team or maybe not even a ranked team. OU is undefeated but has not played a team that is currently ranked. They do have Baylor and OSU left so have a chance to move up. All this to say it will be interesting.

I was assuming MSU lost a game. Obviously an undefeated Big10 team would be in. I’d take a 1 loss Mich St team over Cincy is what I’m saying.

I can see it over a 1 loss P5 team that doesn't win it's conference but not over unbeaten (and conf champs) OU or Mich St.

So you’re saying Ga loses to Bama and you’re taking Cincy over ga? Just asking.

ESPN wants them to drive discussion, which drives ratings for the CFP ranking weekly show. But I don't think they actually want Cincy in the playoff. The ratings for that semifinal will be a disaster.

Clemson kept getting in the playoffs after playing a schedule full of cupcakes so I don't see why Cincy should be excluded based on playing a weak schedule.
Clemson proved their mettle by beating some good SEC teams along the way and others like Oklahoma and Ohio St. Who has Cincy beat with a pulse?

incorrect, espn is pushing the ohio st. power 5 model, because that brings in more money, and they are all over social doing it.... hi disney. all you have to do is listen to radio and tv.

cici has earned thier record... and as long as they have that record, it doesn't make a toss of beans what you "think". it is what it is. cinci gets a shot... even if they don't win the game, as long as their record holds.... I wouldn't exactly call nebraska and purdue a winning schedule.

Any team in FBS who goes undefeated has done everything they possibly can and should to deserve a playoff spot. If that's not the case, they shouldn't be in FBS.

To think there is a entire division of over a hundred teams where only about 30 or 40 are eligible for a national championship. That's a joke. Go ahead and split the divisions now.

Power 5 conferences need to either stop shutting out the group of five, or just cut them out once and for all entirely.

ESPN wants them to drive discussion, which drives ratings for the CFP ranking weekly show. But I don't think they actually want Cincy in the playoff. The ratings for that semifinal will be a disaster.
I would think they would want Cincy left out so that the 12 team CFP gains more traction. I also think that if a 1 loss Ohio State team gets in ahead of a 1 loss Oregon team then we can expect an expanded CFP sooner rather than later.

Totally disagree. The powers that be want Cincy left out. As @bamawriter said they might like Cincy being involved because it helps their shout shows, but they don't actually want Cincy in the playoff and getting in over a big P5 school.

Clemson proved their mettle by beating some good SEC teams along the way and others like Oklahoma and Ohio St. Who has Cincy beat with a pulse?

They haven't had the opportunity to play an SEC team yet. Put them in the playoffs and see how they do. Can't be any worse than notre dame has done when they get in.

I’d love to see OU, Mich St, Wake Forest all go undefeated. I’d love to see Tennessee upset Ga, Auburn beat Alabama & then whoever out of the SEC West, with 2 losses, beat Ga.

It doesn’t matter Georgia or Bama is winning this thing anyway. The four team playoff is a anti climatic letdown every year.

I can’t see Ga winning it with Bennett at QB. I don’t think Kirby does either. That’s why he’s trying to keep Daniels on the line.

They haven't had the opportunity to play an SEC team yet. Put them in the playoffs and see how they do. Can't be any worse than notre dame has done when they get in.
Cincy gave GA a good game last year in the bowl matchup last year. GA had to score 14 pts in the 4th quarter to win 24-21. I think that helps them a little in minds of the committee. They deserve a shot if they go undefeated.

Cincy gave GA a good game last year in the bowl matchup last year. GA had to score 14 pts in the 4th quarter to win 24-21. I think that helps them a little in minds of the committee. They deserve a shot if they go undefeated.

I believe Ga had a good group of players waive out of the game

ESPN wants to push their playoff expansion agenda.
More games to sell advertising.
There are only a few programs that have a chance to win it all.
Expansion will not change that, only make crappy playoff games.
IMHO 4 teams are enough.

VN Store

Back