ESPN Team Rankings

I realize recruiting evaluations are a subjective process, but how in the world does ESPN rate our class 18th while Rivals has us 7th and 247 9th?

I know the easy answer is they are just lame, but how can there be that significant a discrepancy?

The simple answer is they don’t invest the proper money it takes to do it justice.

My opinion: they can’t politically spin it in their beliefs or favor so they put it out in left field.

Reactions: CA_Vol
I agree in principle with what you’re saying, but I also wonder if the quality of players coming out of high school has increased to point that the gap between #1 and #10 (national) is nominal so long as you fulfill your needs.

The key seems to be consistency within the Top 10 that’s builds the depth needed to compete for the playoffs every year.

I can get on board with this. Good reply, unlike a lot of immature dolts on here

Reactions: CA_Vol
Considering where we were in September to now, I’d say that was pretty strong. As long as we continue to get great QB’s in classes I think that can overcome some of those middle of the pack finishes.

Another good reply, and you may be right in the QB being able to make up the difference. Let’s hope HB is as good as advertised.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
They hardly have any analysts in their budget, and pretty much rely on Luginbill. He can’t review everyone

Reactions: Devo182
We have a good class, but it’s still middle of the pack in the SEC. That won’t cut it long term - need to be at least top 5 in the conference every 3 out of 4 years if you want to be in the playoff hunt year in year out.
throw Cade Mays and Velus Jones in to this class, like we did with Solomon and Gibbs in last year's and you'll get 'the ranking' you think you need.
source.gif

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Personally, I don't think it's worth sweating. I think we now have a staff that really evaluates recruits and trusts their own evaluations. Carries far more weight with me than services. If they can develop kids, we will be contending in the east soon enough.

Can't remember where I read/heard it, but someone claimed that there really isn't much difference between the top 15 classes when you get right down to it. If JP is happy....good enough for me.
Exactly! It’s the job of the services to identify most of these kids, it’s the job of the coaching staffs to evaluate them.
GBO!!

We have a good class, but it’s still middle of the pack in the SEC. That won’t cut it long term - need to be at least top 5 in the conference every 3 out of 4 years if you want to be in the playoff hunt year in year out.

This is complete non-sense. I've already pointed out in other threads how successful Clemson has been despite most of their recruiting classes being outside of the top 10 under Dabo.

Florida also was 1 win away from being in the SEC championship this year, and they played LSU about as good as anyone. We have been pretty consistent with them in recruiting over the last few years.

And we've actually had more top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes than Auburn since 2012. Yet Auburn has consistently had much better teams than us over this time and at least every other year seem to be in the national title hunt.

Interesting stats but weird way of saying 4 of the top 5 and 7 of the top 10 players. Would be interesting to maybe see percentage of their top 300 vs rivals and 247 by location for a broader sample size.

Here's the top 250 recruits for each service plotted on a map. The fill color for each state shows the total number of rankings per with blue being least and red being most. The pie charts show the number of rankings by service in that state. Overall it looks pretty even to me.
Rank by State.png

I agree in principle with what you’re saying, but I also wonder if the quality of players coming out of high school has increased to point that the gap between #1 and #10 (national) is nominal so long as you fulfill your needs.

The key seems to be consistency within the Top 10 that’s builds the depth needed to compete for the playoffs every year.

Yeah, the whole "we're behind our rivals we're only #10!" thing is way overblown. To get into those top 3 to 5 spots you need an insane class, which we could very well do down the road, but beyond UGA, Bama, and also currently LSU, the difference between our class and Auburn's or A&M's is a player or two. It also doesn't take into account other factors such as transfers.

I mean honestly the fact that we're top 10 is pretty impressive considering we only have 23 players and 1 of them is a 2 star long snapper. Only Texas has a smaller class and is in the top 10. Florida, Auburn, and A&M are all ahead of us with 2 or 3 more players.

throw Cade Mays and Velus Jones in to this class, like we did with Solomon and Gibbs in last year's and you'll get 'the ranking' you think you need.
source.gif

I actually just did that, and we'd be 7th. They would add 15.01 points to this class. Again, other than Texas (19 players) the next 3 highest teams all have 25 or 26 players. We effectively have 22 players considering how few points the long snapper gives us.

If Bailey is a star by year 2, we should compete against the bigger teams. QB is such a differentiator and we know Pruitt can develop defensive players.

Reactions: volsagain
Another good reply, and you may be right in the QB being able to make up the difference. Let’s hope HB is as good as advertised.

I think it’s more important than ever to have elite level QB’s. It seems like the days of Greg McIlroy types leading teams to a National Title are fewer and farther between. You could see it even this past Sunday. Mahomes is just a next level talent that negated all of the advantages the Niners had.

I think it’s more important than ever to have elite level QB’s. It seems like the days of Greg McIlroy types leading teams to a National Title are fewer and farther between. You could see it even this past Sunday. Mahomes is just a next level talent that negated all of the advantages the Niners had.
And an under appreciated OSU QB that turned your typical good/not great LSU team to purely great.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
And an under appreciated OSU QB that turned your typical good/not great LSU team to purely great.

Exactly. Every QB in the CFP was in the Heisman discussion at some point this and 2 of them will in all likelihood be #1 overall picks .

Reactions: Frozevol

VN Store

Back