ESPN, SEC network, programming

orangemadam

I'm trying to assure I can get all the important SEC sports and especially VOLS telecasts without cable or dish services.

Can I get your ideas on the best TV solution to ensure I can continue to receive ESPN, SEC network, Netflix without paying an arm and leg for it?

Thanks for your help.

I’ve heard some people found a way to watch on firestick by downloading an app on there. Heard it was dirt cheap but idk just what I heard.

Reactions: walker mark
YoutubeTV is the best way. ESPN+ doesn’t include all the main channels

I had this during FB season. It works a lot more reliably than Sling ever did for me. Has a lot of other movies shows etc too. Some movies have commercials cluttering up btw. Just cancelled.

Reactions: WarMachine
ESPN+ doesn't include the ESPN network channels.

Sling might be the cheapest. Looks like you could do the orange package and then the sports tier add on for $30, if my math is correct. I don't believe you get local channels, though, and that plan appears to be limited to one stream at a time. But if neither of those are deal breakers, it might be worth looking in to.

There's a pretty good discussion about the different services in the off topic forum: The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

I had this during FB season. It works a lot more reliably than Sling ever did for me. Has a lot of other movies shows etc too. Some movies have commercials cluttering up btw. Just cancelled.
Yeah, I haven't had any issues with YouTube, I just wish they offered an option for more than three simultaneous streams. That's one thing I liked about PS Vue, before it was shut down.

You cancelled? Did you move to something else or do you just keep it during football season?

I've heard others mention reliability issues with sling, but I've seen some who don't have any issues.

Most of the services offer a free trail, so you can try them out and figure which one works best for you.

youtubeTV is what, $40/mo? that's pretty steep for me when Sling is like $25/$30
Iirc mine was $50, so yeah. Sling w SECN is cheaper, but YTTV was more reliable. But, Sling may be better too. One thing I hate @ all these streamers is the fact that when the previous game goes late and the Vols get bumped or visa versa, I get lost finding it on the alternate net. I've missed a lot of openings to games on Sling and YTTV. I also dislike the fact that when you search by "tennessee" and got to the FB or BB page, you'll see the game listed for the future, but cannot choose it until the game starts. With so many DSL, Wifi, Phone Wifi, and Chromecast issues in between the event and my TV, I'm often jiggling with some setting or rebooting something while the kickoff is happening. Frustrating. Just let me choose the game and let the dang thing go to the current nearly ended program while I get my connection issues resolved.

Reactions: WarMachine
Yeah, I haven't had any issues with YouTube, I just wish they offered an option for more than three simultaneous streams. That's one thing I liked about PS Vue, before it was shut down.

You cancelled? Did you move to something else or do you just keep it during football season?

I've heard others mention reliability issues with sling, but I've seen some who don't have any issues.

Most of the services offer a free trail, so you can try them out and figure which one works best for you.

Yeah, I just cancelled. Don't do cable at all. Games are the only thing besides Youtube I ever watch on TV anyway, so I just get for FB season. Last year I got during BBall season too for obvious reasons. But, ya know, I'm gonna fair weather fan this BB season. :-(

I'm trying to assure I can get all the important SEC sports and especially VOLS telecasts without cable or dish services.

Can I get your ideas on the best TV solution to ensure I can continue to receive ESPN, SEC network, Netflix without paying an arm and leg for it?

Thanks for your help.

Sling Orange Package plus sports add-on.
slingsportschannels.png

Thanks for your help.
YouTube TV has worked out great for us.....$54.99 a month. There are different packages you can purchase I believe. Like most things I buy I usually get the middle of the road.

Reactions: GlennTenn
ESPN+ doesn't include the ESPN network channels.

Sling might be the cheapest. Looks like you could do the orange package and then the sports tier add on for $30, if my math is correct. I don't believe you get local channels, though, and that plan appears to be limited to one stream at a time. But if neither of those are deal breakers, it might be worth looking in to.

There's a pretty good discussion about the different services in the off topic forum: The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)
Yeah I was happy with Sling except you can only stream ESPN or all the orange channels on one device at a time. Too many times when we are watching same show on multiple devices. Using YouTube tv now. You can stream up to three devices at a time. It is more than Sling though

Had both Sling and YoutubeTV. I was probably one of those mentioned by Freak with Sling. Lots of buffering. no issues with Youtube. As for ESPN +, as someone mentioned, it does not include the main ESPN channels, however, it does give you access to SECN +. I got it early in the basketball season to watch those early games. Probably cancel, but those damn Peyton's Places are sooooo good......

I have had cable, Hulu live and YouTube tv. Switching back to sling with the sports package. Echoing what others have said, seems to be the best deal. And locast has Atlanta. So I can get local networks for CBS until ESPN takes over the 3:30 slot. Not sure when that happens.

We switched to YouTube TV this Fall and haven't looked back. Unlimited DVR, easy to manage recordings and every football game you could want.

Reactions: GlennTenn

VN Store

Back