ESPN SEC East Preview

hUTch2002

Wait til next year!
Here is the ESPN SEC East Preview which also includes a link to the West. Overall it is pretty positive for us. Of course they had us at 15 in the FPI months ago and that hasn’t changed. They also have us at 21st in their S+P. One thing I found interesting is that MO is favored in 10 games per the FPI. They have a weak OOC schedule and draw Ole Miss and Arkansas from the West. I was also surprised to see that UGA is only favored by less than 14 points in 2 games! There’s no way they win all 12 games with only 2 wins being closer than 2 TDs. I don’t even think they’ll run the table. Smart will screw something up. We shall see but per ESPN’s predictions we should be 7-5 or 8-4. If we get 8 wins, whether that includes a bowl game or not, I’ll call that a good year. We get to 9 and I’ll call it a great year. We get 10+ and there will be a whole lot of babies and dogs named Jeremy or Pruitt.
The complete SEC East college football season preview

Man this makes we wish Bill Connelly was still with SBNation, these previews are still good with ESPN but they don't have all the cool charts and stuff. I know he posted some on twitter but it's still just not the same as the team by team preview he used to do with SBNation.

Here is the ESPN SEC East Preview which also includes a link to the West. Overall it is pretty positive for us. Of course they had us at 15 in the FPI months ago and that hasn’t changed. They also have us at 21st in their S+P. One thing I found interesting is that MO is favored in 10 games per the FPI. They have a weak OOC schedule and draw Ole Miss and Arkansas from the West. I was also surprised to see that UGA is only favored by less than 14 points in 2 games! There’s no way they win all 12 games with only 2 wins being closer than 2 TDs. I don’t even think they’ll run the table. Smart will screw something up. We shall see but per ESPN’s predictions we should be 7-5 or 8-4. If we get 8 wins, whether that includes a bowl game or not, I’ll call that a good year. We get to 9 and I’ll call it a great year. We get 10+ and there will be a whole lot of babies and dogs named Jeremy or Pruitt.

Or dogs named cornbread.

I think a reasonable expectation is 7 wins with this roster and schedule.

Well written. Agree with their assessment.

My favorite quote in the assessment:
"There's one more factor in UT's favor: the second-year effect. If a coach is going to oversee a major surge in his program, it's probably happening in either his second or third season. "

My favorite quote in the assessment:
"There's one more factor in UT's favor: the second-year effect. If a coach is going to oversee a major surge in his program, it's probably happening in either his second or third season. "

I’m gonna say if we see that surge it’ll be next season. Hope it’s this season but he’s still got to deal with enough of that “Champions of Life” mentality to make me think year 3 would be the year we see it. Hope I’m wrong.

I’m gonna say if we see that surge it’ll be next season. Hope it’s this season but he’s still got to deal with enough of that “Champions of Life” mentality to make me think year 3 would be the year we see it. Hope I’m wrong.

You could be on the money! If it doesn't happen by year 3... Pruitt aint the guy, IMO.

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
That plus it will take time to get the OL & DL up to SEC standards.

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
You could be on the money! If it doesn't happen by year 3... Pruitt aint the guy, IMO.

I really just don’t want to put a ton of expectations on this team. All I want to see this year is get 6 wins and make it to a bowl game, I think schedule wise we can win 8 and that will mean we will have beaten somebody that many think we shouldn’t, show improvement every game, and be competitive in the losses we take. That’s all I want to see this year, improve on last year and put a decent product on the field. I like the way Pruitt handles things and the approach he takes, he don’t sugarcoat anything. I think if everybody will give him time to do what needs done, they’ll be happy with the end product.

That plus it will take time to get the OL & DL up to SEC standards.

If the Solomon news that’s floating around is true then that will help a lot IMO. He’s of greater need than Gibbs, I’ll be excited if both are eligible. We’ll go as far as the two sides of the LOS will take us but the OL is the more critical of the two IMO

Reactions: VOLED
FPI, S+C and MO is favored in 10. Does this mean I can't come in here anymore without homework and a test?

Which would explain half of the problems UT has had in the last decade. Lack of patience with a coach to complete a full cycle +. Now that I think about it......isn’t that the definition of insanity? I mean some of us are expecting different results right?

UGA won every game by 14 or more except the LSU loss in the regular season last year so not that surprising, they base a lot off last year results.

UT 8-4
UF 9-3
UGA 11-1

Reactions: 08Vol
UGA won every game by 14 or more except the LSU loss in the regular season last year so not that surprising, they base a lot off last year results.

UT 8-4
UF 9-3
UGA 11-1
Fair enough. I think they’ll still have that LSU-type game though.

To be fair, everyone does, that’s what it’s safe to say 11-1. Saban has been undefeated Once, remember Terrance Cody? So, yeah, a little luck involved.
True. I doubt Clemson does given their schedule but if Lawrence gets hurt they certainly could. Even with an easy schedule it’s hard to run the table.

Florida is extremely over praised in my opinion. Florida brings in 4 new offensive lineman and is in serious need of depth at that position. 1-2 injuries on offensive line and their entire offense could fall apart.

Florida also lacks depth on the defensive secondary. Mullen has also not recruited well at all. I do not see how Florida wins more than 8 games this year

Georgia SHOULD run the table, but WILL they is a completely different question. Going undefeated in the SEC is hard work. 11-1 is a more likely situation

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Florida is extremely over praised in my opinion. Florida brings in 4 new offensive lineman and is in serious need of depth at that position. 1-2 injuries on offensive line and their entire offense could fall apart.

Florida also lacks depth on the defensive secondary. Mullen has also not recruited well at all. I do not see how Florida wins more than 8 games this year

Georgia SHOULD run the table, but WILL they is a completely different question. Going undefeated in the SEC is hard work. 11-1 is a more likely situation

You’ve got as many catches at Georgia’s best WR and I’m better than their backup QB if Fromm goes down. Florida is deep and talented and their coaches have a track record of developing o-linemen.

Kirby Smart, despite having all this talent on paper, craps his pants in big games.

Sad season coming for Georgia as they lose to both Florida and Tennessee.

You’ve got as many catches at Georgia’s best WR and I’m better than their backup QB if Fromm goes down. Florida is deep and talented and their coaches have a track record of developing o-linemen.

Kirby Smart, despite having all this talent on paper, craps his pants in big games.

Sad season coming for Georgia as they lose to both Florida and Tennessee.

haha that would indeed be a very sad season

Reactions: Jaws

VN Store

Back