ESPN Power Rankings

14. Tennessee Volunteers (3-0)
Previous ranking: Unranked
This week: vs. Alabama State (Wednesday)

I wasn't as high on Tennessee as some in the preseason, as there were major questions about the Volunteers' frontcourt and how they were going to replace Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield. Jordan Bone was another key personnel loss, but freshman Josiah-Jordan James was a capable replacement on the perimeter. Well, Rick Barnes certainly found his new frontcourt in Yves Pons and John Fulkerson. The junior duo went toe-to-toe with Washington's top-10 tandem of Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels and helped lead the Volunteers to an impressive 13-point win over the Huskies in Canada. Pons and Fulkerson combined for 29 points and nine rebounds. With Tennessee's backcourt as good as expected, the Volunteers are absolutely a threat in the SEC once again.

Not a bad way to start a "down" year.
No doubt, and even stranger (perhaps after 4 years it shouldn't be viewed as strange anymore...maybe Barnes is just a really good coach 🤷‍♂️) is our perceived weakness, post play, hasn't really been a weakness. It isn't a necessarily a strength, and things could turn once we hit the meat of our schedule and some film gets out on Pons, Fulk, and Nkamhoua. Right now, though, Barnes has, at worst, found a way to mask our perceived weakness and keep us from being exposed.

The Washington game was a perfect example of that. I had this one chalked up as a loss in my preseason schedule watching. In terms of raw talent, UW has us beat, especially at the top end, and I really envisioned Isaiah Stewart giving us fits the way that Udoka Azubuike did, last year. I also suspected we would struggle against their zone. Stewart did give us some trouble, especially early on, but Nkamhoua frustrated the heck out of him in the 2nd half, and we shredded their zone from the high post, continually, in the 1st half.

If this staff can continue to find ways to maximize the ability of our guys, which should be the expectation, at this point, they should comfortably exceed my expectations and projected win total for the year. They are already +1 in that category.

Hopefully we are reaching the point where we just reload and get respected, like UK, KU, Gonzaga, etc. Although, there is something to be said for having to play with a chip on your shoulder every year as well...

Reactions: RollerVol
I think we're still going to have some clunkers this year when our shots aren't falling and our post depth hurts us. But if we can snag one or two more signature wins in noncon play, I think we're already in the tournament (assuming no implosions in conference play).

I thought this was a bubble team for sure without Uros.

I think we're still going to have some clunkers this year when our shots aren't falling and our post depth hurts us. But if we can snag one or two more signature wins in noncon play, I think we're already in the tournament (assuming no implosions in conference play).

I thought this was a bubble team for sure without Uros.

When you look back at the end of a season, all teams have a "clinker" or two. The successful teams recover fast from those type games. That's what makes them the best teams for that season.

Reactions: RollerVol
Pons and Fulkerson are key to this team and if Nkamhoua can develop to be a force in the paint, I think this team will challenge Florida and Kentucky in the SEC. Very impressed with the start to the season, they have already beat two NCAA tournament teams!!!

Looking like Auburn will be more of a threat than Florida. Don't get me wrong, Florida has serious talent but I don't think lil mikey white can get them where they need to be.

The November tournament next week is a big one. Florida State is not a bad team, but they certainly aren't a good team. Their signature win against Florida doesn't look like a signature win anymore. And struggling to beat Western Carolina and losing to open the season against Pitt? Really need this one. Beat FSU and then win the 2nd game and you're in REALLY good position heading into December. At that point you only really need to win 1 of Cincy, Memphis, and Wisconsin to head into SEC play ahead of schedule.

I was castigated two weeks ago for suggesting we might just hold our own defensively, castigated by a couple of posters, I should say. I think holding a very dangerous Washington team to 62 points is pretty amazing. We may not, on paper, look like we will hold our own defensively in the post, but I think we will.

The November tournament next week is a big one. Florida State is not a bad team, but they certainly aren't a good team. Their signature win against Florida doesn't look like a signature win anymore. And struggling to beat Western Carolina and losing to open the season against Pitt? Really need this one. Beat FSU and then win the 2nd game and you're in REALLY good position heading into December. At that point you only really need to win 1 of Cincy, Memphis, and Wisconsin to head into SEC play ahead of schedule.
Good points. I think we take care of business at home, and give Cincinnati all they want on the road. Fulky and Pons.....man, those guys are bringin' it.

I was castigated two weeks ago for suggesting we might just hold our own defensively, castigated by a couple of posters, I should say. I think holding a very dangerous Washington team to 62 points is pretty amazing. We may not, on paper, look like we will hold our own defensively in the post, but I think we will.

I'm sorry that you won't be able to have children.

When Pons first came on the scene as a freshman, I never thought he would be anything more than just a role player. Great athletic guy who could provide solid minutes. CRB has shown once again that he really knows how to develop players. The progression of Pons is remarkable, and his mid-range game is nice to see. If he continues to develop, we will be a dangerous tourney team.

When Pons first came on the scene as a freshman, I never thought he would be anything more than just a role player. Great athletic guy who could provide solid minutes. CRB has shown once again that he really knows how to develop players. The progression of Pons is remarkable, and his mid-range game is nice to see. If he continues to develop, we will be a dangerous tourney team.
I was just the opposite. When he got here as a Freshman, I saw a raw athlete that Barnes could mold into a remarkable player. You could see the athleticism in him and Barnes had shown what he could do with Admiral and Grant. However, I really though he regressed last year and that my impression of him as freshman was wrong. I'm still not 100% sold but I'm getting close.

Washington plays slow and doesn’t average many points. However, our D so far looks better than last year and our offense is good as we have great shot selection. If we keep playing D like this and continue taking good shots we very well could challenge for the SEC. Conference play will be a whole different ballgame though. That young Florida talent will be more seasoned, Kentucky always plays better later on the year, and teams will have plenty of film on us. I’m still thinking 18-11 before the SEC tournament as I think conference play will give us 7 or so losses. With our schedule that would be good enough to make the tournament easily.

Reactions: The Dog
Washington plays slow and doesn’t average many points. However, our D so far looks better than last year and our offense is good as we have great shot selection. If we keep playing D like this and continue taking good shots we very well could challenge for the SEC. Conference play will be a whole different ballgame though. That young Florida talent will be more seasoned, Kentucky always plays better later on the year, and teams will have plenty of film on us. I’m still thinking 18-11 before the SEC tournament as I think conference play will give us 7 or so losses. With our schedule that would be good enough to make the tournament easily.
Agree. 18 wins in the regular season with this schedule is a stone cold lock NCAA Tourney bid. I would say 20-9, but I'm an eternal optimist

Reactions: hUTch2002
Agree. 18 wins in the regular season with this schedule is a stone cold lock NCAA Tourney bid. I would say 20-9, but I'm an eternal optimist
After seeing us play I’m very tempted to bump it up. I had faith that Barnes would have us back in the tournament so I predicted 18-11 before the season started but we look better than I thought we would so you easily could be correct. 20-9 with a couple win in the SEC tourney to me says top 4 seed. I do think those dismissing UF shouldn’t do so just yet as they’re young. However, their schedule isn’t getting any easier coming up with games against St Joe’s, Marshall, Butler, Utah St, and Providence before conference play. They could easily drop 3 of those.

VN Store

Back