ESPN is hot trash

Bob is alright. It could be much worse. But I did hear him last night say “3:58 to go IN THE GAME and our score is ...” and it was just before halftime.

I will say he's better at calling basketball games than he is at football. But that's the same as saying I'm better at building Helicopters than I am at building airplanes. You wouldn't want to fly in either.

It could be worse, but it could very easily be so much better

I don't blame Dicky V. He's 81, he doesn't care when he goes off on different subjects

It's all on ESPN
You may recognize the name Myron Cope based on your icon. Myron realized when he was slipping as a broadcaster and retired honorably. That Vitale doesn't recognize he has long, long passed his time is on him.

Reactions: feathersax
You may recognize the name Myron Cope based on your icon. Myron realized when he was slipping as a broadcaster and retired honorably. That Vitale doesn't recognize he has long, long passed his time is on him.

Sure do. Maybe he feels that doing the games gives him a reason to keep going/keeping him alive.

I've worked with people way past their retirement age for that reason

We seem to agree a lot on this forum, but this one - no. If anything ESPN is Fox II and it's sucked for over a decade. I guess that's why they're losing so many viewers and lawsuits. ;) Other than that, Go Vols! Peace!
Idiot Liberal!

Reactions: Vols1313
I was yelling at the TV when they went split screen. I don’t know WTF they were talking about, but the game was very much up for grabs at that point.
That was really unprofessional. It’s well documented how I feel about the media including sports and ESPN epitomizes everything that’s wrong with media. That’s why I ALWAYS watch with muted sound.

Remember ESPN begins with E for Entertainment. It's a show, not a sport. It should be changed to PESPN, for Propaganda being part of the new woke platform. That company cannot collapse and disappear.fast.enuf imo. They have some talented people , that under proper mgmt, could make for awesome game coverage.

I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.
I listened to Dickie V all my life. Each passing year has gotten worse. He literally was yelling go Bucs and holding up a Bus’s jersey into the camera During the last 2 minutes of TN vs KY. He finally shut up long enough to say, WOW, TN won by 11. Poor old guy, he’s a good man but a terrible broadcaster, lol.

For some reason espn has really leaned into the "dudes just watching a game on tv and spitballing" version of announcing during covid.

It is absolutely awful and I have no idea why they are doing it. It's not just bball, but baseball as well.

I get that covid has made things difficult and announcing from a remote spot will never be the same, but other networks are doing a much, much better job of trying to make the announcing seem normal.

Often when I'm watching espn broadcasts lately I'm left wondering, "If the announcers are uninterested in the game why am I supposed to be interested?" It's bizarre.
They showed a lot of Korean Baseball last summer. They never commented on the games. They spent most of their time talking about their own kids little league games. Horrible.

Remember ESPN begins with E for Entertainment. It's a show, not a sport. It should be changed to PESPN, for Propaganda being part of the new woke platform. That company cannot collapse and disappear.fast.enuf imo. They have some talented people , that under proper mgmt, could make for awesome game coverage.
Keith Jackson was very entertaining to me in the way he enhanced the athletic events he covered. When did folks tune into athletic events to hear dialogue between 2 folks about random topics?

And this game was followed up by the USC/UCLA game with color commentator Bill Walton, whose LSD-wired mind caused him to assert that the Pac-12 is the "Conference of Champions" 6+ times (along with a couple of thinly veiled drug experimentation jokes) in the three minutes I was able to suffer him before finding something else to do with my time.

For some reason espn has really leaned into the "dudes just watching a game on tv and spitballing" version of announcing during covid.

It is absolutely awful and I have no idea why they are doing it. It's not just bball, but baseball as well.

I get that covid has made things difficult and announcing from a remote spot will never be the same, but other networks are doing a much, much better job of trying to make the announcing seem normal.

Often when I'm watching espn broadcasts lately I'm left wondering, "If the announcers are uninterested in the game why am I supposed to be interested?" It's bizarre.
You beat me to it. ESPN seems to be the absolute worst at this. Other networks will venture off subject but quickly bring it back to the event we’re watching, but not ESPN. I have heard many crews, go completely off subject for entire periods, without even acknowledging the game at hand. It’s really annoying and reminds me how a large portion of our society has gotten lazy during the past year. A lot of restaurants were begging for business and really taking care of their customers and appreciated them at first, then the lightbulb came on that people are going to eat at Chick fil a regardless, so we don’t have to worry about their food being prepped correctly, whether or not we give them condiments and napkins. Hell, most of them will be home with their food before they realize it’s wrong. ESPN is taking the same approach, they’ve become lazy and realize that we’re still going to watch, regardless if Dickie V is talking about the game or what his dog had for lunch. The past year has really opened my eyes as far as who really is “hungry” and wants to succeed and who is just going through the motions.
GBO!!

Reactions: VaBornVol
Vitale threw Pearl under the bus , but not Pitino or Williams who did much.worse. Don't think much of him.
Yet I noticed Pearl is going to be a guest speaker at one of his upcoming functions. I noticed that during the 10 minute Dickie V, infomercial that ran during our game.
GBO!!

Reactions: Border Vol
Long before the political climate is what it is now, I started muting all sports events on TV I watch, regardless of network. It increased my enjoyment exponentially, while reducing my blood pressure and increasing the number of naps I get.

Yet I noticed Pearl is going to be a guest speaker at one of his upcoming functions. I noticed that during the 10 minute Dickie V, infomercial that ran during our game.
GBO!!
Ole One Eye enjoys having his head up the arses of the head coaches of blue blood men's basketball programs.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.
He's still miles better than Bill Walton.

Reactions: volhick
When I watched the replay, Dick wasn’t initially as bad as I anticipated. But as the game progressed they both seemed to have lost all interest. Both announcers were asleep when Keon and Jaden took over the game (and the basketball program). The last 2-3 minutes were brutal. At one point I think that KY trailed by 8 and stole the ball. While the action was getting serious Dick was instead blathering about the Tampa Bay Bucs. Weird since the game wasn’t on Disney. Maybe it was a staff rebellion against ESPN.

The other issue I have is the lack of graphics. Since the announcers are not there neither appears to be their statisticians. They never report correctly who picked up the foul, how many or anything significant. They are watching the game the same as us without a vested interest so they wander.
I'm not going to be shocked if one of these guy's wife yells for them to take out the trash, and them forget and reply.

We should be used to that with Bob K at the mic.

VN Store

Back