ESPN hates UT - Hendon Hooker edition

I thought it was pretty fair honestly.

Why?
With guys listed ahead of Hooker who had less production? Who also werent in their first year witha team; who was jn the first year with a new coach?

At the end of November barring injury, i will be very surprised if Hooker's numbers arent better than all thr 2nd tier guys.

Why?
With guys listed ahead of Hooker who had less production? Who also werent in their first year witha team; who was jn the first year with a new coach?

At the end of November barring injury, i will be very surprised if Hooker's numbers arent better than all thr 2nd tier guys.
They are saying he is no worse than 15th out of 131. They are also only putting 7 quarterbacks of 131 definitively above him preseason. That's hardly "egregious" disrespect, that's pretty good. I think Hooker played well last year and I'm excited to see what he can do this year, but like most Fansided articles this is overdramatized click bait written with the flair of a middle school girl, I didn't think the actual ESPN article was unfair:

From Heisman or bust to intriguing non-Power 5 battles: The 25 tiers of college football QBs

Why?

And competition

Reactions: OneVolNation
You can pick your thread based on your opinion. There is one a couple down that stated how fair the ranking is.

Heupel's "system" doesn't make the completions for Hooker, putting the ball where it needs to be for the receiver to make the catch is what makes that happen. Short, intermediate, or deep balls, Hooker was accurate at all levels. I think he was under rated in the article, but we will see for sure when the games are played. I'd love to see him explode to the point that he can't realistically be denied the Heisman.

Reactions: Volanta
You can pick your thread based on your opinion. There is one a couple down that stated how fair the ranking is.
ESPN ranked him in the 95th percentile of FBS quarterbacks (only 7 of the other 130 FBS quarterbacks, i.e., 5.3% were ranked above him) that's hardly "egregious disrespect". I hope the author of that Fansided article loosened up before he made that stretch. I think some may be getting hung up on "third tier" but this ESPN author did 25 tiers! If he had done only 10 tiers, Hooker would be first tier and no one would be complaining.

Reactions: PC Jr.
He had a great year last year but before that he had multiple years of being inconsistent. How high should he be ? And really, what difference does it make? He’s going to get a chance to prove himself. And I’m sure he will get drafted so he will get his shot.

Reactions: pimo1
He had a great year last year but before that he had multiple years of being inconsistent. How high should he be ? And really, what difference does it make? He’s going to get a chance to prove himself. And I’m sure he will get drafted so he will get his shot.
I guess some think he should be the Heisman frontrunner. I mean the best team we beat last year was by far Kentucky. We were 4-6 against P5 competition, I think both UT and Hooker are getting a lot of respect this off-season from the CFB media as a whole.

All long as he is a consensus 1st tier at the end of the season is all I care about.
Preseason predictions are fun but meaningless.
This ESPN guy had 25 tiers, he only ranked 7 of 131 FBS quarterbacks ahead of Hooker, that is first tier if he'd have had even 10 tiers. This Fansided article was typical clickbait to rile people up for basically no reason.

This thread is a microcosm of how information sharing has become so wacky in the world today.

There was once a time when you could pick up the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or International Herald-Tribune, read nothing but the headlines, and have a pretty good idea of what was going on in the world.

Then clickbait happened. The internet emerged and grew its own structure, which notably included clicks, likes, and subscribes as the metrics of journalistic success. And journalistic integrity went into a nose dive.

It suddenly was not successful to have an accurate, objective, honest and balanced headline. No, a writer needed a headline that was salacious, intriguing, or controversial enough to get people to click. Truth was lost in the rush to win clicks.

And this thread reflects that new reality. The ESPN article is very fair to Hendon Hooker. It puts him in the top 5%-10% of all FBS QBs in spite of a hot-and-cold first couple of years at Virginia Tech. Under those conditions, the lad's placement in tier 3 of that 25-tier ranking system clearly recognizes his 2021 success, and his exciting potential going into his senior season.

But because the Calhoun (what a moron) article headline says "egregiously low tier," the OP of this thread was fooled. And because he was fooled, this thread's title reads "ESPN hates him." And because of that title, a quarter of the people in this thread think Hendon has been disrespected. Like a boulder gaining momentum as it rolls downhill.

In the first 18 posts of this thread, I counted 5 folks (28%) who seem not to have actually read the article, certainly not with a functioning brain. @unfrozencvmanvol has been trying to make people understand what the article really says; I doubt many of them are spending much time following up and learning the truth.

They're simply not thinking for themselves. They're swallowing whatever bait is tossed in front of them.

This is such a good example of how society is being (willfully) misinformed these days.

Last edited:
This thread is a microcosm of how information sharing has become so wacky in the world today.

There was once a time when you could pick up the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or International Herald-Tribune, read nothing but the headlines, and have a pretty good idea of what was going on in the world.

Then clickbait happened. The internet emerged and grew its own structure, which notably included clicks, likes, and subscribes as the metrics of journalistic success. And journalistic integrity went into a nose dive.

It suddenly was not successful to have an accurate, objective, honest and balanced headline. No, a writer needed a headline that was salacious, intriguing, or controversial enough to get people to click. Truth was lost in the rush to win clicks.

And this thread reflects that new reality. The ESPN article is very fair to Hendon Hooker. It puts him in the top 5%-10% of all FBS QBs in spite of a hot-and-cold first couple of years at Virginia Tech. Under those conditions, the lad's placement on that 25-tier ranking system clearly recognizes his 2021 success, and his exciting potential going into his senior season.

But because the Calhoun (what a moron) article headline says "egregiously low tier" and this thread's title reads "ESPN hates him," a quarter of the people in this thread think Hendon has been disrespected.

In the first 18 posts of this thread, I counted 5 folks (28%) who seem not to have actually read the article, certainly not with a functioning brain. @unfrozencvmanvol has been trying to make people understand what the article really says; I doubt many of them are spending much time following up and learning the truth.

They're simply not thinking for themselves. They're swallowing whatever bait is tossed in front of them.

This is such a good example of how society is being (willfully) misinformed these days.
Amen brother.

Loving ESPN right now. They are the #1 provider of Bulletin Board Fodder.

We stand, IMO, a much better chance of winning as the Underdog vs fav.

Thank you ESPN for hating the Vols!!

Reactions: Volnut
I hope Hooker and the Vols head into the game undefeated and have a field day Oct. 15th at home.
That will have all the pundits eating plenty of crow.

Go Vols!

I love it when pieces like this are published.
a.) Hooker has more to prove…and he can/will.
b.) it’s the opposite of rat poison- it’s fuel for people who thrive in competition
c.) I love being a loaded “underdog”

VN Store

Back