ESPN FPI now favors Vols over Rebels & Cats

Coach Heupel beat Boy Wonder like a rented mule in both of their previous meetings. In 2018, Heupel’s first year ever as a head coach, and as coach at UCF, his team beat Kiffin’s FAU squad 56-36. In 2019, Kiffin’s team won 11 games including a bowl win, but Heupel beat him again, and it wasn’t even close, 48-14.

Does any of this guarantee us a win on Saturday? Of course not. Still, I’m a’bettin’ that Heupel ain’t a’feared of meetin’ up with Boy Wonder again.
JH may not be afraid, but Kessling's got to be having a panic attack over calling this game. He may not say breathe until after the game w/ each team running almost 3 plays per minute...

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
As I was just posting in the other thread about Kentucky, they've gotten some kind of big special teams play, fumble recovery, or defensive score in 4 of their wins to hold off 3 bad teams and Florida. Florida played like a 3 win team that night in Lexington once they got inside the 20. Florida held UK to 200 yards or so and had around 400 themselves and would have had 500 without lost penalty yardage. I won't be surprised in the least if they get blown out by UGA and then go lose to Miss State on the road as well before we play. Miss State actually plays very good defense under Leach. They are top 5 in the SEC in total D. Miss State beat NC State who beat Clemson, and they beat Texas A&M who beat Alabama. So Kentucky will likely be limping into the game on a 2 game losing streak.
Lol some of you can talk yourselves into anything

I dig the vibe, man, but unfortunately we won't move into a tie for 2nd in the East after we beat Ole Miss. We'll be 3-1 in conference, and the loser of UGa-Kentucky will be 4-1. We'll still be a half-game down of 2nd spot.

Ah, I guess you are right. Was going by losses. Oh well.

Beat Bama the following week though and we're sitting pretty :cool:

Compare what they did against Florida to what Tennessee did.

Florida beat themselves in Lexington. Obviously, they played much better against UT in Gainesville. Once again, we fall for the Transitive Property Assumption.

So...TXAM beat Bama 41-38. Next Saturday, Bama plays at Miss. St. Miss. St. beat TXAM 26-22. By your logic, Miss. St. should beat Bama by 7 points.

Can I get some of that action?

How UT rolls into Lexington...and the UK team that awaits them, will depend on a lot of factors. UT's record at that point. UK's record at that point. How healthy, or not, is UT? But how each team fared against UF won't contribute a single yard or point to the outcome.

Where is Witch Doctor when you need him?

Go Vols.

Compare what they did against Florida to what Tennessee did.

They scored the same amount of offensive points than we did vs UF, despite us playing from behind for most of the game and us missing some key players on offense in the second half. The only reason they won is because they blocked a punt for a TD and UF had 150 yards in penalties, which forced them to punt or settle for FGs multiple times. And Florida still had a chance to win in the end.

We had 423 yards of offense against UF. Kentucky had 224. Now Kentucky did hold UF to 382 total yards compared to our 505, but again, UF had 150 yards in penalties. Suffice to say, Kentucky wouldn't have fared any better than us if not for the penalties.

UK is a solid team. We'll need to play clean football. But they are very beatable. You don't squeak by UTC, Mizzu, and USCe if you are a really good football team.

Florida beat themselves in Lexington. Obviously, they played much better against UT in Gainesville. Once again, we fall for the Transitive Property Assumption.

So...TXAM beat Bama 41-38. Next Saturday, Bama plays at Miss. St. Miss. St. beat TXAM 26-22. By your logic, Miss. St. should beat Bama by 7 points.

How UT rolls into Lexington...and the UK team that awaits them, will depend on a lot of factors. UT's record at that point. UK's record at that point. How healthy, or not, is UT? But how each team fared against UF won't contribute a single yard or point to the outcome.

Go Vols.

This.

I'm not even sure why Ole Miss should be favored at this point.
Kiffiin was dumb against Bama with all those 4th down calls on the wrong side of the field and called them early.
Ark stuck with them yesterday. I think Pittman should've took it to overtime. If the Hogs had to fight the whole game to get back into it then yeah go for 2 but their Offense played them tick for tack and should've been given the opportunity to play in OT and hope Kiffin does with Kiffin does.
I think CJH and his staff are going to bang it home to ST look out for all trick plays and for the Defense to look out for those also...
Kiffin is not going to be able to help him self from trying to be cute and we need to make him pay for it

Regarding the Kif. He's a gambler. He doesn't bring his team on the field to lose or tie games. He comes to win, whether he does or not in the end. He called 4th down plays at UT as well. Players took it as his believing in them. Sure, it backfires at times, but from what I've seen, his teams come right back swinging, maybe swinging and missing a bit too often, but it seems he wants his team having a, "We ain't scared uf you or your masculine sister" attitude. I'm not a fan of the Kif, I just call it as I see it. That being said, I hope our Vols cram the ballgame down he and his boys' throat coated with and filled with freshly squeezed horseradish juice.

Reactions: FrankenVol54

Go Vols.
Exactly which is why it’s illogical to talk about performances against USC and Missouri (2 god awful teams) as the measuring stick for the UK-UT game.

They scored the same amount of offensive points than we did vs UF, despite us playing from behind for most of the game and us missing some key players on offense in the second half. The only reason they won is because they blocked a punt for a TD and UF had 150 yards in penalties, which forced them to punt or settle for FGs multiple times. And Florida still had a chance to win in the end.

We had 423 yards of offense against UF. Kentucky had 224. Now Kentucky did hold UF to 382 total yards compared to our 505, but again, UF had 150 yards in penalties. Suffice to say, Kentucky wouldn't have fared any better than us if not for the penalties.

UK is a solid team. We'll need to play clean football. But they are very beatable. You don't squeak by UTC, Mizzu, and USCe if you are a really good football team.
I mean there are a ton of excuses at play here just like there are for Kentucky but at the end of the day…one team won and the other didn’t. Kentucky found a way to win where as Tennessee could not.

I mean there are a ton of excuses at play here just like there are for Kentucky but at the end of the day…one team won and the other didn’t. Kentucky found a way to win where as Tennessee could not.

That's true. But it isn't a telling of how good either team is. Kentucky has a mediocre-to-bad offense. They currently have the 52nd rated scoring offense, despite facing 2 of the worst FBS defenses (ULM and Mizzu) and an FCS school. I will give UK credit for having a good defense. That should help keep them close in most games. But their offense is pretty bad.

That's true. But it isn't a telling of how good either team is. Kentucky has a mediocre-to-bad offense. They currently have the 52nd rated scoring offense, despite facing 2 of the worst FBS defenses (ULM and Mizzu) and an FCS school. I will give UK credit for having a good defense. That should help keep them close in most games. But their offense is pretty bad.
Overlook them then. I'm sure it will work out in UT's favor.

I dig the vibe, man, but unfortunately we won't move into a tie for 2nd in the East after we beat Ole Miss. We'll be 3-1 in conference, and the loser of UGa-Kentucky will be 4-1. We'll still be a half-game down of 2nd spot.
Until we beat Kentucky. Still have games to play. I also think Georgia will have trouble against our tempo.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I know everyone is all excited and I hate to put a damper on things but….2 loss Florida is at 6 in these rankings…this is probably the worst ranking system in CFB to actually care about.

Don’t like this at all. ESPN trying to put a mojo on us. We always play better when the so-called experts don’t give us a chance. Happy always being the underdog and surprising people.

The experts haven’t given us much of a chance over the last 14 years or so and you’ve seen how well we played. Maybe the experts don’t give us a chance when it reflects our poor play on the field.

Kentucky's offense has been pretty putrid against decent opponents up until the LSU game.

They gained 224 yards against Florida while giving up 382. We gained 423 and gave up 505.

They gained 332 yards against USC and gave up 216. We gained 472 and gave up 370.

So against exact same opponents within weeks, we know how we did and how they did. Their Defense is better, without a doubt, but our Offense is also clearly better.

I think we can win but it'll depend on our health. If we still don't have key players back and especially if we lose key players we will likely lose. If we stay healthy, I think we can win.

Reactions: saxvol

VN Store

Back