ESPN FPI now favors Vols over Rebels & Cats

Yeah, I watched that game. We'll have to be on our A game for sure. They're going to be tuff to beat, not saying we can't or won't, but man o man.....they're FAST!

Sara, am glad to see someone else look at a game and not be overly critical of a statement made by a post that is not meant to be pitting "us against them". As to "a game", in the SEC you need to be on your a game every week. A case in point, Bama - T A&M.

Reactions: BigVolSack63
BVS is still so strong here.

We’re not that different with injuries and depth compared to other SEC teams that have had success.

Take Texas A&M for example, they start true Freshmen at Center and Right Tackle and have u seen their QB depth chart?

They beat Bama last night btw

That's a little surprising to me about OM but as a fan I can see it. Tenn's biggest advantage is run defense where OM ranks 107 and 3rd down conversion rate (49% vs 38%). OM is also allowing 10 points avg more. Biggest disadvantage would obviously be the passing game where they have guys banged up and OM is 18th in the country. If Heupel truly held them back in the 2nd half and this team could've done to them what they did to Mizzu, it could come down to who has the ball last.

Reactions: njvols
No way. Probably around 4
I'm not even sure why Ole Miss should be favored at this point.
Kiffiin was dumb against Bama with all those 4th down calls on the wrong side of the field and called them early.
Ark stuck with them yesterday. I think Pittman should've took it to overtime. If the Hogs had to fight the whole game to get back into it then yeah go for 2 but their Offense played them tick for tack and should've been given the opportunity to play in OT and hope Kiffin does with Kiffin does.
I think CJH and his staff are going to bang it home to ST look out for all trick plays and for the Defense to look out for those also...
Kiffin is not going to be able to help him self from trying to be cute and we need to make him pay for it

Last edited:
I only see two losses for Kentucky this year: Georgia and Tennessee. The Vols and the Dawgs have good, attacking defenses and Kentucky does not have the quality skill players to over come that on the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Alto1
Plenty of time to worry about UK. For now, the focus needs to be on Ole Miss. One game at a time...

First look, looking at the teams stats against FBS opponents. YPG rushing and passing, defense, PPG, O/PPG, turnovers, etc, this is a tossup. Yes, Ole Miss looks more explosive than UT, but UT can actually play some defense. Crunching the numbers, I came up with something in the neighborhood of 39-38, advantage UT. Which we all know ain't worth the brain cells I burned doing my non-scientific analytics. But hey, it's a number to debate, or deviate from.

Ole Miss has a played exactly one road game, at Bama, although they did open the season against Louisville in Atlanta. Still, you gotta figure the noise in Neyland (if it's there) may be a factor. I'd say the home field is worth 3 points in this one. Maybe as much as 7.

Ole Miss is 4-1 and ranked in the Top 25. UT is 4-2 and not. Which means exactly nothing, so fuggeddaboudit. Heupel is (I think) 2-0 against Lane, which might mean something, in that CJH apparently knows the formula for beating Kiffin. Let's hope so, and let's hope UT has what it takes to make it work again.

Add it all up and what do you have? Nothing. It all means nothing. If the game is in Oxford I'd probably lean towards UM, but since it's in Knoxville I'll lean towards UT. I have no idea, but predicting a shootout here is about as safe as saying the Pope wears a white hat. Sitting here on a Sunday morning, with nothing other than pure speculation to go on, I'll say 48-45 UT.

There, now we can be friends again.

Go Vols.

Plenty of time to worry about UK. For now, the focus needs to be on Ole Miss. One game at a time...

First look, looking at the teams stats against FBS opponents. YPG rushing and passing, defense, PPG, O/PPG, turnovers, etc, this is a tossup. Yes, Ole Miss looks more explosive than UT, but UT can actually play some defense. Crunching the numbers, I came up with something in the neighborhood of 39-38, advantage UT. Which we all know ain't worth the brain cells I burned doing my non-scientific analytics. But hey, it's a number to debate, or deviate from.

Ole Miss has a played exactly one road game, at Bama, although they did open the season against Louisville in Atlanta. Still, you gotta figure the noise in Neyland (if it's there) may be a factor. I'd say the home field is worth 3 points in this one. Maybe as much as 7.

Ole Miss is 4-1 and ranked in the Top 25. UT is 4-2 and not. Which means exactly nothing, so fuggeddaboudit. Heupel is (I think) 2-0 against Lane, which might mean something, in that CJH apparently knows the formula for beating Kiffin. Let's hope so, and let's hope UT has what it takes to make it work again.

Add it all up and what do you have? Nothing. It all means nothing. If the game is in Oxford I'd probably lean towards UM, but since it's in Knoxville I'll lean towards UT. I have no idea, but predicting a shootout here is about as safe as saying the Pope wears a white hat. Sitting here on a Sunday morning, with nothing other than speculation to go one, I'll say 48-45 UT. There, now we can be friends again.

Go Vols.
I think you read me wrong. I was not implying we "look ahead" or look anywhere I just said "sorry" because I was speaking about another team. As to what we can/will do with Miss and KY will have most everything to do with injuries (ours and theirs) and how we are able to handle our lack of depth.

I think you read me wrong. I was not implying we "look ahead" or look anywhere I just said "sorry" because I was speaking about another team. As to what we can/will do with Miss and KY will have most everything to do with injuries (ours and theirs) and how we are able to handle our lack of depth.

Roger that, but I wasn't responding to anyone in particular. I'm just getting an early start on my next stress ulcer, which will be UT -vs- Ole Miss.

All good on this end, brother.

Go Vols.

And yes, goodness I know...because so many folks here are just gushing over the juggernaut that is UK football...that UT is going to have their hands full in Lexington. But I think UT steals one back, so to speak, to balance out the Pitt game, and for some reason I think it's either Ole Miss and/or UK. Of the two, I like Ole Miss at home, but I also think UT can score enough against UK, and play just enough defense, to come out of Lexington with a win. The bye week will help.

So, takes care of business against Ole Miss; play hard and stay healthy against Bama; then go shock the world in Lexington. Do that, and we could be in line for a really good bowl game.

Go Vols.

Don't let it go to your heads. We haven't really proven anything yet. Plus the fact that for all the ridicule heaped on Tennessee over the past decade or so, our worse critics really want us back to our rightful place. They know we have (had) widespread appeal, were a great revenue source for their bowls, and entertaining in our matchups, even when we lost. They want us back, so no surprise they're jumping the gun as much if not more than we battered Vols. So for now, all this favored stuff is just talk, and hate me if you wish, I call it as I see it, wishful thinking. Which I DO HOPE proves prophetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach_Z

Add it all up and what do you have? Nothing. It all means nothing. If the game is in Oxford I'd probably lean towards UM, but since it's in Knoxville I'll lean towards UT. I have no idea, but predicting a shootout here is about as safe as saying the Pope wears a white hat. Sitting here on a Sunday morning, with nothing other than pure speculation to go on, I'll say 48-45 UT.

There, now we can be friends again.

Go Vols.
Like any close game it’ll be determined by turnovers, red zone efficiency, and I have a feeling special teams will come into play. Take care of the ball, score TDs rather than kick FGs, and play even or better on special teams and we will win this game.

Stats say that defensively we are the better team; we will match them score for score. The D gets us this win!

View attachment 401482
Obviously much of the talk has been about our offense, but I think given the expectations coming into this season, I think the defense has been the most impressive unit.

Obviously much of the talk has been about our offense, but I think given the expectations coming into this season, I think the defense has been the most impressive unit.
Banks and his assistants have earned their pay and my respect. Damn fine coaching job!

The players stepping up their game, playing hard nose football.

Kentucky piled up the yardage on the ground against LSU yesterday not many yards passing. You have to find a way to stop their rushing attack.

Reactions: walkenvol
As of today 53.8% over Ole Miss and 55.8% over Kentucky.

Obviously they are both close and truly the definition of a "toss up" game but this is a good indicator of where this year's Vols are in their progression under the new staff. Taking out any fan BVS or orange tinted glasses the index shows we are a slight favorite over 2 currently ranked SEC teams and both of them also won this weekend. Its not like our upcoming opponents are taking L's and dropping, everyone is winning and we keep moving up. All in all a great sign for the program.

View attachment 401461View attachment 401462
Whaaaaa? But ESPN hates us!

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back