ESPN bowl projection

I guess what I am saying is that I think any other 6-6 team in the country, we win. Against any top 15... top 20 team with a 9-3 record , we go home beaten up.
On that basis maybe we should go ahead and cancel next year's game against Oklahoma. Aside from our fanbase, on a national level who cares if we beat Indiana? Our participation in a nationally televised marquee match-up against the likes of Penn State or Michigan will turn a lot of heads including those of recruits. Win or lose, who wouldn't love to play in a game like that?

Reactions: igotworms
My mind definitely works differently than several on here. I keep seeing "just get a win", and "a win will help recruiting more".

For the "just get a win" crowd, this team is in the process of learning how to be a team. They've taken big steps. At the first part of the year many were having a hard time figuring out where they were supposed to line up, and then somewhere after Florida, it started clicking. The team stopped thinking about where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to do, and they just started doing it. They banded together through some crappy self created adversity, and lo and behold, wins. We should take care of Vanderbilt. The bowl game should be a continued learning experience and a measuring stick. For those players coming back, just having to go toe to toe with a more "established" upper level team, win or lose, the experience is invaluable. See the '98 Orange Bowl where we got our clocks cleaned and then what happened the next year.

For the "recruiting" crowd, what would get a recruits attention more? Playing Indiana? or Playing Penn St. or Michigan? The hype up to that game would mean more to recruiting than the outcome of the game. You win, the hype continues. You lose, you push to the recruits "See, we need you".

Just my 2 cents...

Very spot on !! Good post....

Tennessee has a 4 bowl win streak against B1G teams. Historically, the Vols have fared well against B1G opponents.

Music City Bowl W 38–24 December 30, 2016 Nebraska
Outback Bowl W 45–6 January 1, 2016 Northwestern
TaxSlayer Bowl W 45–28 January 2, 2015 Iowa
Outback Bowl W 21–17 January 1, 2008 Wisconsin
Outback Bowl L 10–20 January 1, 2007 Penn State
Florida Citrus Bowl W 45–17 January 1, 2002 Michigan
Florida Citrus Bowl W 48–28 January 1, 1997 Northwestern
Florida Citrus Bowl W 20–14 January 1, 1996 Ohio State
Florida Citrus Bowl L 13–31 January 1, 1994 Penn State
Fiesta Bowl L 17–42 January 1, 1992 Penn State
Liberty Bowl W 21–14 December 29, 1986 Minnesota
Peach Bowl L 22–28 December 31, 1982 Iowa
Garden State Bowl W 28–21 December 13, 1981 Wisconsin
Bluebonnet Bowl L 22–27 December 31, 1979 Purdue

In bowl games, Tennessee is 9-5 vs B1G teams during the past 40 years.
Penn State seems to have the Vols number, being 3-0 vs UT during this span.
The only times Tennessee has faced B1G powerhouses, Michigan and tOSU, the Vols have been victorious.

On a personal note, the 1982 Peach Bowl loss sticks in my craw because my cousin (who doesn't care one whit about CFB) was attending the writers' workshop at Iowa that year and has a commemorative coffee cup for that game, from which he's always drinking during our rare visits at the breakfast table.
Ahhhh the 1982 Peach Bowl. I took pictures for UT Sports Information then and went to the game. During halftime I went up to the pressbox for 'lunch'. The Iowa delegation had provided corn fed pork chops.. They must have been an inch thick and you could cut them with a plastic fork. Absolutely amazing. Best I have ever had. The Tennessee press corp brought possum. It were delicious too. (and no.. it was a joke)

On that basis maybe we should go ahead and cancel next year's game against Oklahoma. Aside from our fanbase, on a national level who cares if we beat Indiana? Our participation in a nationally televised marquee match-up against the likes of Penn State or Michigan will turn a lot of heads including those of recruits. Win or lose, who wouldn't love to play in a game like that?
Next year is next year. Indiana is a good football team this year. I'll bet it would be a better game than you give credit.

Truth be told, and we all know it.. it doesn't matter who we play. Nobody gives a flying **** anymore about anything other than the NC tournament. Sad, but true.

I would eat crow. I am not above admitting I was wrong. But it won't be an issue in this case. We are not a top 20 team. Sorry, we just aren't. Be objective and don't be a homer. I love the VOLS too, but we ain't that good.

Well we beat a team that beat a top 5 team....is this being objective? I'll be waiting on the Ga.State comment

I would think so. IMHO, BOTH those losses are on Pruitt and the staff. But that's a different argument.

I guess what I am saying is that I think any other 6-6 team in the country, we win. Against any top 15... top 20 team with a 9-3 record , we go home beaten up.
I think the defense is playing well enough for either of those teams. It all depends on pass protection and QB play. There aren't many teams in the country that can matchup on the outside with UTs recievers.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Just wondering...in search for irony...are some of the posters wanting a tougher matchup for premium cred, the same ones wanting to give Oklahoma lots of money to not play us next season? I’ll admit to the vice versa. I want the 8th win more than bragging rights because I believe there’s more benefit. I also say play the games we’ve SCHEDULED cuz we ain’t little bisches like we were under Dooley...and we may get OUTSCORED but we’re not going to be physically manhandled.

Agree.

Its funny too how we're 1-4 or 3-5 and "We are what our record is". Lol, now all of a sudden we're 6-5 and "we're not good, we're a 6-6 team". We going bassackards.

Here's the Group of Six Bowl payouts

Citrus Bowl 8.550 million

Outback Bowl 6.350 million

Texas Bowl 6.326 million

Music City Bowl 5.650 million

Liberty Bowl 4.294 million

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl 3.168 million

Texas Bowl 6.326 million

Does the payout really matter to the school since all of the money goes into a pot so Vandy can get a share?

Texas Bowl 6.326 million

To clarify, Citrus is not a member of the Group of Six Bowls, Belk is a member.

Texas Bowl 6.326 million

Does the payout really matter to the school since all of the money goes into a pot so Vandy can get a share?

For a bowl game paying out $1,500,000 - the school gets to keep $1,050,000.

For a bowl game paying between $1,500,000 and $3,999,999 - the school receives $1,325,000.

If the bowl game pays out $4,000,000 to $5,999,999 - the school receives $1,525,000 and the rest is shared equally among the conference members.

For a game paying $6,000,000 or a CFP game, the team receives $2,050,000 (if it’s the finals, they receive $2,150,000); the rest of the payout amount rewarded goes to the pool to be split among the conference.

(That info from here: http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/2019/Bowls.pdf)

That is because we beat the dog crap out of them inOrlando a few years ago when they were the favorite. Deja vu?
They weren't the favorite...Not even close...They ran into a UT team that was a blown game away from playing for the national championship.

VN Store

Back