ESPN article on stability - UT #127. Hopefully the guys and coaching staff will use this for motivation

franklinboy

127. Tennessee: 9.4 (2.0 coach stability, 0.7 roster stability, 6.7 performance stability)
Only two teams had more than 23 guys lost to the transfer portal: Kansas had 27 ... and Tennessee had 37!! Some of those were walk-ons, and not every player was a projected difference-maker by any means, but the Vols are the dictionary definition of "unstable" this season. There's still enough raw upside that Josh Heupel could create some first-year magic (I wouldn't predict that, but it's technically possible), but after constant drama on both the two-deep and coaching staff, it's probably best to just not make any predictions about the Vols either way.

127. Tennessee: 9.4 (2.0 coach stability, 0.7 roster stability, 6.7 performance stability)
Only two teams had more than 23 guys lost to the transfer portal: Kansas had 27 ... and Tennessee had 37!! Some of those were walk-ons, and not every player was a projected difference-maker by any means, but the Vols are the dictionary definition of "unstable" this season. There's still enough raw upside that Josh Heupel could create some first-year magic (I wouldn't predict that, but it's technically possible), but after constant drama on both the two-deep and coaching staff, it's probably best to just not make any predictions about the Vols either way.
If the shoe fits...

Link to Article?

I bet if you add in how many teams lost 2 or more to the transfer portal Tennessee gets in better company!

This is a pretty accurate article.

If it's about Stability:

1) We're in the SEC, not the B12. At least 8 of those teams should be less stable than us.
2) We don't have Pruitt the micromanager around anymore
3) We should be favored (not by much for Pitt) to win our OOC games
4) We brought in quite a bit of transfer portal talent too.
5) Most of our 37 transfers benefited us. Perhaps 8 didn't, plus at least 2 disciplinary transfers (Bennett, Salter).
6) How much will our stability be affected by losing players such as Buchanan (medically uncleared) and Peterson (epic bust).
7) Any player involved in a recruiting/payment sandal couldn't play for us but can play for other teams.
8) We are no longer Pick6 U!

I wonder how many on our schedule we trade for some of the cup cakes rated higher than us. Sure we have been down, for a while, but ranking 126 teams ahead of us is silly.

How many teams rated above us if we were to play the game would we be picked to win?

I consider 3 options to an out come of a game before hand.

Non competitive. Should win easily. Gimmie

Competitive games determined by months of preparation. The team that makes the last mistake will probably lose. Let the chips fall.

Any given Saturday. Roll the dice and gamble some. 5 stars that have been developed for 2 or 3 years under the same good coaching is a difficult team to defeat. But I like our chances with the changes we have made and look forward to every game and plan to figure out a way to be at each one both home and away games.

Edit: Stability in the past overrated. JH has the chance to right the ship. I’m rooting for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear

We are an easy target for any sportswriter who ran out of something to write about. Ut has hired a competent coach but lost most of last years recruiting class, the top 4 players are playing on other teams, all potential depth left town via the transfer portal and he is given an SEC schedule to play while he figures it all out. I think we need to lower expectations to whatever the minimum is and wait it out. Whats the next best thing to playing and winning, playing and losing! Things are just better when it's football time.

We are an easy target for any sportswriter who ran out of something to write about. Ut has hired a competent coach but lost most of last years recruiting class, the top 4 players are playing on other teams, all potential depth left town via the transfer portal and he is given an SEC schedule to play while he figures it all out. I think we need to lower expectations to whatever the minimum is and wait it out. Whats the next best thing to playing and winning, playing and losing! Things are just better when it's football time.
That all makes sense except the lowering of expectations. Might as well raise expectations. I hurts to lose. Just come up with a way to deal with the disappointment that’s acceptable to family and friends you want to keep.

Reactions: VolsSince78
Pretty much guaranteed we win the East with billboard material like this. Look our Bama here we come.

Reactions: golfballs
This sounds 100% on point and accurate.

Someone have a problem with the truth?

VN Store

Back