ESPN article on Fulmer taking over THE BEAR

Great article, it captures so many of my sentiments, particularly the newfound "throw caution to the wind" attitude of Fulmer. Its been a few years since we've had this much enthusiasm about our VOLS!

Then, all of two scrimmages into fall practice, Fulmer announced that he was moving Ainge and Schaeffer to the top of the depth chart -- ahead of sixth-year senior C.J. Leak and junior Rick Clausen. The entire state nearly fainted.

I DID faint!

Just kidding. I only got a little woozy.

:lol:

Every champion needs a little luck along the way, but the Vols might have gotten an extra helping.

:lolup:

A shanked Florida field goal in overtime gave Tennessee a 20-17 win

Excuse me? Kicking is a skill, not luck... especially in a pressure situation like overtime. Does the writer presume that had the Fla kicker made the kick that UT would have folded in a subsequent overtime?? :blink:

(a fumble into the Vols' end zone in regulation didn't hurt, either). Arkansas quarterback Clint Stoerner's unforced fumble enabled a miraculous 28-24 escape.
"unforced" I guess the center getting shoved back onto Stoerner's foot by Billy Ratliff was "unforced"? :bs: I guess the Arkansas defense was supposed to let Travis Henry run 5 straight times for 43 yards to score the winning touchdown too :blink: I think luck would have been more like if Stoerner just dropped the ball in the endzone or something like that. Or a receiver dropping the ball in the endzone and the official signaling touchdown anyway. ;)

And facing Florida State with scatter-armed Marcus Outzen subbing for injured Chris Weinke in the Fiesta Bowl was a break.

Now this is really a bit of revisionist history. At the time the coverage was about how great the Florida State DEFENSE was.... how the Vols would have trouble moving the ball.... and I also believe with Outzen at the helm, the Seminoles were still favored to win. Probably because Outzen had just come off leading Fla State to wins over Virginia, Wake Forest and a big one against Florida. Also remember that 1998 was Weinke's first year starting. He had some memorable games, but was not a Heisman contender... yet. The Vol defense would have been just as successful against Weinke. Its hard for anybody to throw if your receivers are covered and your laying on your back!!! The biggest key to the game was the Vols offense putting up 23 points and 392 yards of offense against the supposed stingy Fla State defense.

Amen!!! AllVol ...you should e-mail that to ESPN and see what response (if any ) you get! :bow:

Chris Weinke was so great that year, he threw SIX interceptions against NC State. LOL

That F$U excuse is soooo tired...

Originally posted by allvol@Sep 30, 2004 4:34 PM
Every champion needs a little luck along the way, but the Vols might have gotten an extra helping.

:lolup:

A shanked Florida field goal in overtime gave Tennessee a 20-17 win

Excuse me? Kicking is a skill, not luck... especially in a pressure situation like overtime. Does the writer presume that had the Fla kicker made the kick that UT would have folded in a subsequent overtime?? :blink:

(a fumble into the Vols' end zone in regulation didn't hurt, either). Arkansas quarterback Clint Stoerner's unforced fumble enabled a miraculous 28-24 escape.
"unforced" I guess the center getting shoved back onto Stoerner's foot by Billy Ratliff was "unforced"? :bs: I guess the Arkansas defense was supposed to let Travis Henry run 5 straight times for 43 yards to score the winning touchdown too :blink: I think luck would have been more like if Stoerner just dropped the ball in the endzone or something like that. Or a receiver dropping the ball in the endzone and the official signaling touchdown anyway. ;)

And facing Florida State with scatter-armed Marcus Outzen subbing for injured Chris Weinke in the Fiesta Bowl was a break.

Now this is really a bit of revisionist history. At the time the coverage was about how great the Florida State DEFENSE was.... how the Vols would have trouble moving the ball.... and I also believe with Outzen at the helm, the Seminoles were still favored to win. Probably because Outzen had just come off leading Fla State to wins over Virginia, Wake Forest and a big one against Florida. Also remember that 1998 was Weinke's first year starting. He had some memorable games, but was not a Heisman contender... yet. The Vol defense would have been just as successful against Weinke. Its hard for anybody to throw if your receivers are covered and your laying on your back!!! The biggest key to the game was the Vols offense putting up 23 points and 392 yards of offense against the supposed stingy Fla State defense.

Nice post. :peace2:

From ESPN the kicker scenario made no sense. That is part of the game. Jeff Hall didn't need luck.

The Arkansas win . . . Those last minutes were awesome and magical. I think they say luck is when hard work meets opportunity. When the breaks come your way it's up to you to capitalize on them.

FSU- Weinke. Heck, we lost Jamal Lewis early and still made it to the friggin' Fiesta Bowl. FSU has all of that talent in the their own backyard and can't recruit QBs. They have played Rix for what four years now, and he is a total air-head. They can't do better?

Fulmer- I don't think he will be around in 10 years because of the escalating media scrutiny. It will be even worse then. He'll be successful but why would he want to put up with all that crap.

VN Store

Back