ESPN Article... Here’s what they are saying

Voepel was dead nuts on, turnovers are detrimental to each game that the LV have played in the past couple of years and it is a discipline issue - playing under control. CKH must break a lot of bad habits that were formed by players before her arrival, Hollie either didn't have it in her to teach or demand playing with discipline and we're seeing the consequences.

On the other hand, RD is the reason the LV won last night, especially her rebounding which in my opinion was the difference in this game.

GBO - LV beat ____ (fill in the blank because I sure as heck do not know WHO we will be playing LOL)

Can Tennessee fix its inconsistency and right its season?

Pretty accurate statements... I do think the LV will surprise some more people this year (in a positive way).
He calls 33 percent three point shooting erratic. I'll take it every game 49.5 two point field shooting equivalent. We shot 40 as a team yesterday and won think we'd be in every game shooting 49.5 from the three if we could do as well with the twos.

He calls 33 percent three point shooting erratic. I'll take it every game 49.5 two point field shooting equivalent. We shot 40 as a team yesterday and won think we'd be in every game shooting 49.5 from the three if we could do as well with the twos.

I'll take it every day too. 33% from 3 beats 50% from 2 IMO. Why? Because you get more opportunities for an offensive rebound. Out of 100 3p shots 67 chances for a rebound vs 50 chances for 100 2p shots. If you get 30% of the offensive boards then you get 5 extra possessions from the 100 3p shots.

Also, I don't have any data to back me up but I've always felt that there is a higher percentage of offensive boards on 3p shots taken because the long rebounds turn into more of a 50-50 who wants it more situation.

I guess I don’t understand what the 2 point equivalent means. 33% is just not good no matter the 2 point equivalent.

I think we have have this discussion before. One of those agree to disagree things.

I guess I don’t understand what the 2 point equivalent means. 33% is just not good no matter the 2 point equivalent.

I think we have have this discussion before. One of those agree to disagree things.

Must be that Rutgers math? If you take 100 3p shots and make 33% you have 99 points. If you take 100 2p shots and make 50% you have 100 points. Plus with the 3p shots, there is more opportunity for offensive rebounds.
You don't get to agree or disagree; that's how the math works.

Must be that Rutgers math? If you take 100 3p shots and make 33% you have 99 points. If you take 100 2p shots and make 50% you have 100 points. Plus with the 3p shots, there is more opportunity for offensive rebounds.
You don't get to agree or disagree; that's how the math works.
I get the math.

I don't agree that 33% is good enough.

No need to insult.

Reactions: GlennTenn

Let’s say you take 20 shots:

33% from 3-point range gives you 19.8 points (20 shots X 3 points each X .33)
49.5% from 2-point range gives you 19.8 points (20 X 2 X .495)

Both outcomes are the same (19.8 points), which is why these percentages for 2-point and 3-point shots are equivalent.

edit: 37620 beat me to the math posting.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I get the math.

I don't agree that 33% is good enough.

No need to insult.

We are shooting 33% compared to 27.4% for our opponents (not great but shooting seems to be trending upwards a bit).

How is 32.3 shooting compared to 39.2 for opponents sound 😁🔴⚫🔴

That 78% FT percentage is a sight to behold 😳... Nice!

Reactions: travis929
We are shooting 33% compared to 27.4% for our opponents (not great but shooting seems to be trending upwards a bit).

How is 32.3 shooting compared to 39.2 for opponents sound 😁🔴⚫🔴

That 78% FT percentage is a sight to behold 😳... Nice!

Did you really go to the RU site to find their stats? I'm flattered.

Let’s say you take 20 shots:

33% from 3-point range gives you 19.8 points (20 shots X 3 points each X .33)
49.5% from 2-point range gives you 19.8 points (20 X 2 X .495)

Both outcomes are the same (19.8 points), which is why these percentages for 2-point and 3-point shots are equivalent.

edit: 37620 beat me to the math posting.
Yeah, I guess I didn't quite phrase that right.

I get the math part of it. But I don't see how that is relevant for 33% shooting. on threes. You could ask any coach and I'd bet they'd say that is not good enough even if it is equivalent to 50% on twos.

I get the math part of it. But I don't see how that is relevant for 33% shooting. on threes. You could ask any coach and I'd bet they'd say that is not good enough even if it is equivalent to 50% on twos.

I agree with you (much to my surprise) that 33% from three is not good enough. Add 3 or 4 points to bring it up to 36-37% and you are a respectable 3 point scoring team. I think we'll get there in the near future.

I agree with you (much to my surprise) that 33% from three is not good enough. Add 3 or 4 points to bring it up to 36-37% and you are a respectable 3 point scoring team. I think we'll get there in the near future.
I bet you agree with me more than you will admit....lol.

I'd say it is the baseline for most coaches. I got the one point per possession rule from one of my coaches.

In men's college basketball for the 2019 - 2020 season the average is 33.3%, see the below article:

Mid-season update: 3-point shooting in men's college basketball is pretty much back to normal in 2020 | NCAA.com

I have not been able to find the overall stat for women's ball but I would guess it is similar, which leads me to believe that 33% is NOT erratic - more the norm!

GBO - GLV

2018-2019 season only 5 SEC teams shot better than 33%. Only one Ms St shot better than 37%.

1608315095655.png

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
In men's college basketball for the 2019 - 2020 season the average is 33.3%, see the below article:

Mid-season update: 3-point shooting in men's college basketball is pretty much back to normal in 2020 | NCAA.com

I have not been able to find the overall stat for women's ball but I would guess it is similar, which leads me to believe that 33% is NOT erratic - more the norm!

GBO - GLV
I'm not sure if this is what he meant but they have been erratic on threes.

Western Kentucky - 6-22, 27.3%
ETSU - 4-14, 28.6%
West Virginia - 2-19, 10.5%
Furman - 14-24, 58.3%
Indiana - 5-15, 33%

The overall stats say 33% but they have had 3 games under that, 1 game over that and 1 game at that.

Erratic.

I'm not sure if this is what he meant but they have been erratic on threes.

Western Kentucky - 6-22, 27.3%
ETSU - 4-14, 28.6%
West Virginia - 2-19, 10.5%
Furman - 14-24, 58.3%
Indiana - 5-15, 33%

The overall stats say 33% but they have had 3 games under that, 1 game over that and 1 game at that.

Erratic.

In that context I would agree . . . thanks!

GBO - GLV

Did you really go to the RU site to find their stats? I'm flattered.

you should be ... those FT percentages are good 🤩

but in going to RU sight i have a better appreciation for our opponents 3% accuracy. That’s not a knock on RU just a pat on the back for UT.

VN Store

Back