ESPN announcers

I don't mind them talking about A&M's chances. It's the bigger picture surrounding this game. If the roles were reversed and we were the team at the edge of the playoffs, we'd think it was a really important talking point.

No problems with it. At all.

I don't mind them talking about A&M's chances. It's the bigger picture surrounding this game. If the roles were reversed and we were the team at the edge of the playoffs, we'd think it was a really important talking point.

No problems with it. At all.
Correct

I liked it during the booth shot before kickoff when Dusty Dvoracek said A&M could put an "excavation point" on their season with a win today. Pretty sure he meant exclamation point, but what's entertaining about that?

Yeah, was talking about that this morning. To me they need to develop a PO system that only includes conference champs. My model would be 6 conferences. All six conference champs make it and the top seed has byes. That would stop teams being rewarded for not winning their conference and also give those teams that all the sudden have a good year to compete for a championship.

I'd rather they just take the best teams. Just winning your conference doesn't put you in that group.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yeah, was talking about that this morning. To me they need to develop a PO system that only includes conference champs.
Yeah, that's absolutely the wrong answer.

We need the best 4 teams, not the best 4 conference champions. There are years when one or two of the conference champions are absolutely not among the best teams in the country.

This year, for instance: the best four teams might just be in the SEC (2) and ACC* (2), or even SEC (3) and ACC (1) if you really want to get into it.

Let the best teams play. Even if two or more of them happen to share a conference.

* The Notre Dame-enhanced ACC, that is.

I'd rather they just take the best teams. Just winning your conference doesn't put you in that group.
IMO “taking the best team is too subjective” and money comes into play too much. It just name notoriety with that. That is why the semi finals are usually not very good games, cause we cant get the “best teams” right. I would like more clear stakes and everyone has a fair chance. With the current system there are really only a few teams that will ever win because of there name. Since that is the case we should just cut D1 football to about 45-50 teams.
What I would like to see is all D1 teams in 6 conference. Win your conference and you are in the playoffs. Top 2 seeds get byes. Then every team knows that they have to do from day 1, Other teams have a chance to get in and pull some upsets and it only adds two more game to the current season.

Yeah, that's absolutely the wrong answer.

We need the best 4 teams, not the best 4 conference champions. There are years when one or two of the conference champions are absolutely not among the best teams in the country.

This year, for instance: the best four teams might just be in the SEC (2) and ACC* (2), or even SEC (3) and ACC (1) if you really want to get into it.

Let the best teams play. Even if two or more of them happen to share a conference.

* The Notre Dame-enhanced ACC, that is.
I just shared my opinion on that with someone else. It’s not a wrong answer, its an opinion. Getting the 4 best teams is too subject, too easily influenced by money and name noteritity. It why the semi finals are usually never good games.

Reactions: knoxvol16
IMO “taking the best team is too subjective” and money comes into play too much. It just name notoriety with that. That is why the semi finals are usually not very good games, cause we cant get the “best teams” right. I would like more clear stakes and everyone has a fair chance. With the current system there are really only a few teams that will ever win because of there name. Since that is the case we should just cut D1 football to about 45-50 teams.
What I would like to see is all D1 teams in 6 conference. Win your conference and you are in the playoffs. Top 2 seeds get byes. Then every team knows that they have to do from day 1, Other teams have a chance to get in and pull some upsets and it only adds two more game to the current season.

The semi finals look like that usually because the two best teams are usually a good bit better than 3 and 4 in any given year. Even well before the CFP. Remember Nebraska steam rolling us in 1997. We were ranked 3 at the time.

Reactions: 08Vol
The semi finals look like that usually because the two best teams are usually a good bit better than 3 and 4 in any given year. Even well before the CFP. Remember Nebraska steam rolling us in 1997. We were ranked 3 at the time.
Yeah, that is why I would like a clear cut system from day one. Everyone knows their path to get in. Take all the committees and reality show crap out, win your conference play for a Championship.

Yeah, that is why I would like a clear cut system from day one. Everyone knows their path to get in. Take all the committees and reality show crap out, win your conference play for a Championship.
It's messy. It's been messy for decades and there's always going to be some subjective input.

To REALLY make things competitive, there needs to be more interaction between conferences. As it is, Clemson cakewalks....... OSU cakewalks........Bama usually cakewalks....... because they outclass their conference consistently.

Make them schedule each other, shed some blood before the playoffs, instead of easing them in year after year.

It's messy. It's been messy for decades and there's always going to be some subjective input.

To REALLY make things competitive, there needs to be more interaction between conferences. As it is, Clemson cakewalks....... OSU cakewalks........Bama usually cakewalks....... because they outclass their conference consistently.

Make them schedule each other, shed some blood before the playoffs, instead of easing them in year after year.
Other than some good regular season games, I dont see what that helps and there is no incentive to do so. I think once all teams have a chance to win, recruiting may even out a bit. As it stands now, the majority of top level players will go to one of 7 or 8 teams that have chance to win a championship.
I would just like for everyone to control their own destiny at the start of the season instead of this “ we I know they lost when it counted but they are _______ insert name of big college” and they bring in more revenue.

Yeah, was talking about that this morning. To me they need to develop a PO system that only includes conference champs. My model would be 6 conferences. All six conference champs make it and the top seed has byes. That would stop teams being rewarded for not winning their conference and also give those teams that all the sudden have a good year to compete for a championship.

Other than some good regular season games, I dont see what that helps and there is no incentive to do so. I think once all teams have a chance to win, recruiting may even out a bit. As it stands now, the majority of top level players will go to one of 7 or 8 teams that have chance to win a championship.
I would just like for everyone to control their own destiny at the start of the season instead of this “ we I know they lost when it counted but they are _______ insert name of big college” and they bring in more revenue.
The idea is to get some of the subjectiveness out of the CFP. If Bama DID play ND and OSU DID play Clemson in the regular season, there'd be a better evaluation of the higher level teams.

Then, there's some demonstrable merit to discarding one of the "name schools" with a loss to a genuine contender...... whether ESPN likes it or not.

As it is, Clemson is ALWAYS going to blast the ACC (possibly a little less with ND around, but not much) and OSU is 90+% going to blast the B1G.

If they don't play a real contender non-conference, sure...... you'll always have the "but they're _______" effect because they'll ring up 10 wins easily every year. That's what I wanna see leveled up too.

They do play each other, in the playoffs, which is the point of the playoffs. The goal isn’t making it to the playoffs, it’s winning a championship. Who cares if they had an easy schedule. Any team that wins the national championship has to beat 2 top 4 teams. Also important to note these teams have cake walks b/c they are so much better than their opponents.

The idea is to get some of the subjectiveness out of the CFP. If Bama DID play ND and OSU DID play Clemson in the regular season, there'd be a better evaluation of the higher level teams.

Then, there's some demonstrable merit to discarding one of the "name schools" with a loss to a genuine contender...... whether ESPN likes it or not.

As it is, Clemson is ALWAYS going to blast the ACC (possibly a little less with ND around, but not much) and OSU is 90+% going to blast the B1G.

If they don't play a real contender non-conference, sure...... you'll always have the "but they're _______" effect because they'll ring up 10 wins easily every year. That's what I wanna see leveled up too.

Ok so assume they did play in the season, what would that change? Now another team that didn’t play Bama or Clemson during the regular season makes it in and you complain that they don’t deserve to be there b/c they also didn’t play Bama or Clemson. The best solution is expanding the playoffs to 8 and taking the highest ranked 6 conference champions and 2 wild cards.

Reactions: Raebo
It was ok, although if the phrase “Swiss army knife” was your take a shot phrase, you’re likely not reading this right now as you won’t come to until tomorrow morning.

I would like it to expand to 8 teams, first round the higher seed gets to host. 5 P5 conference champs, 3 WCs and make some kind of scenario so that the best Non P5 conference team can get one of the WC spots. It's not perfect but to me that's the best playoff plan they can come up with. It keeps winning your conference a top goal, and finishing in the Top 4 gives incentive so you can host a playoff game. Those 2 things can squash the "the regular season stops mattering" nonsense and leaving a WC spot open for the non P5 teams gives the mid majors and little guys a shot. And if you lose your conference and can't get one of the 3 WC spots.....tough. Get better.

Ok so assume they did play in the season, what would that change? Now another team that didn’t play Bama or Clemson during the regular season makes it in and you complain that they don’t deserve to be there b/c they also didn’t play Bama or Clemson. The best solution is expanding the playoffs to 8 and taking the highest ranked 6 conference champions and 2 wild cards.
If you think Oregon or Oklahoma are "top 8 teams" this year, I can't help you.

I'm NOT attached to the "conference culture" that says the Big12 or Pac12 deserve an "automatic bid" because they won a "P5 conference title." That's ridiculous. Oregon lost to Cal. OK lost to Kansas State.

I'd wager neither could beat FL, GA, or Cincinnati.

Conferences are useless without consistent talent in those conferences. The Pac12 is dang spotty and the Big12 is little better.

Let's move past the "conferences deserve respect" of decades ago and make strong teams play strong schedules for respect.

Reactions: Raebo

To get more of that the ncaa would probably have to force it. Plus you have to project who might be good 3-4 years in advance, which seldom works out. That’s why I like the six conference. You would get a little more of it.

I would like it to expand to 8 teams, first round the higher seed gets to host. 5 P5 conference champs, 3 WCs and make some kind of scenario so that the best Non P5 conference team can get one of the WC spots. It's not perfect but to me that's the best playoff plan they can come up with. It keeps winning your conference a top goal, and finishing in the Top 4 gives incentive so you can host a playoff game. Those 2 things can squash the "the regular season stops mattering" nonsense and leaving a WC spot open for the non P5 teams gives the mid majors and little guys a shot. And if you lose your conference and can't get one of the 3 WC spots.....tough. Get better.
I think 8 is too many for 2 reasons. First, the semis are not competitive now. Adding 4 more will not help. Secondly, it adds too many games. It would be asking fans to travel for 3 extra games instead of two.

Off topic.....watching Clemson v ND. I have noticed that the Clemson coaching staff rarely keep their mask on....especially that bug-eyed goof Dumbo Sweeney. This has been consistent on several games I have seen them play this year. I guess the football gods give them a pass.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
If you think Oregon or Oklahoma are "top 8 teams" this year, I can't help you.

I'm NOT attached to the "conference culture" that says the Big12 or Pac12 deserve an "automatic bid" because they won a "P5 conference title." That's ridiculous. Oregon lost to Cal. OK lost to Kansas State.

I'd wager neither could beat FL, GA, or Cincinnati.

Conferences are useless without consistent talent in those conferences. The Pac12 is dang spotty and the Big12 is little better.

Let's move past the "conferences deserve respect" of decades ago and make strong teams play strong schedules for respect.

UF just lost to a bad LSU team. I think OU could beat them. I don’t think Oregon could, but that’s why you play the games. Notre Dame beat Clemson last month and now Clemson is dragging them up and down the field. Reason to give conference champions a spot in the playoffs is it treats the regular season as a playoff. Remember, the goal is to win the championship, not just make the playoffs. If Bama blows out Oregon then we would be able to say Bama is better than the Pac12 teams since they beat their champion. Then if Clemson beats Bama we can say they are better than the SEC teams and the Pac12 teams. It’s not a perfect system but it’s better than what we have now

If Bama blows out Oregon then we would be able to say Bama is better than the Pac12 teams since they beat their champion. Then if Clemson beats Bama we can say they are better than the SEC teams and the Pac12 teams. It’s not a perfect system but it’s better than what we have now
No one who watches college football needs to see Bama destroy a Pac12 team to know that the conference isn't a contender. I've little doubt GA and FL could handle the "light work" of taking care of Oregon.

We can argue "any given day" crap but NO CONFERENCE deserves a bid just because they're a "Power 5" conference. That's the same as the old bowl conference contract crap that made the bowls irrelevant.

Everyone who follows football knows Oregon and Oklahoma are not in the conversation like aTm or Cincinnati...... so why should they get rewarded for winning in lousy conferences?

VN Store

Back