ESPN 50/50 Tennessee

I missed it, anyone know if they are going to replay it?

i saw it. they talked to steve mcnair and asked him one question.

then they did a long piece on pat summitt. and that was it... i think i only saw the second segment though.. there has to be more.

they were in memphis for the elvis marathon or something.

Yeah, they go back two or three times throughout the show and do stuff. And there's always some weird or generally meaningless event they're showing.

man it is a toss up between neyland and bristol.

i took neyland but man bristol is awesome.

under the lights in two weeks. :rock:

I caught the end of it too, all I saw was stuff about Pat Summit and the Lady Vols, I have the 11:00 one DVR'd though...

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Aug 13, 2005 8:23 PM
vote
hey, check this out.....u can vote for the best sports stuff in tennessee.
[snapback]126266[/snapback]​

You obviously have been MIA from the board if you are just finding this. Let that be a lesson to ya.. :matrix:

I just saw the segment on Pat. Kind of shocking that she was ready to leave in 1984. She was apparently burned out from coaching a full season and coaching the Olympic team. Said that she decided that if she won the Gold Medal and won the Nat'l title, she would get out for awhile. Thank goodness we lost in the final.

i saw the rest of it at 1 last nite. they showed peerless's catch. showed manning doing a couple things. showed the music city miracle.

then they showed these "interesting" facts about tennessee.......

we border 8 states....whopee.

and the great cumberland univ. lost to ga tech 222-0 in 1916..... wow

Yeah, it really did suck. They did a good piece on Summit, but not much else was really interesting.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Aug 14, 2005 9:28 AM
and the great cumberland univ. lost to ga tech 222-0 in 1916..... wow
[snapback]126495[/snapback]​

Ga. Tech team was up by over 100 points at half-time and Heisman told his team to keep fighting and don't think about letting up, because he was sure Cumberland had something up their sleeve. Real classy guy, they should name a trophy after him.

Originally posted by orangetd88@Aug 14, 2005 8:53 AM
Yeah, it really did suck.  They did a good piece on Summit, but not much else was really interesting.
[snapback]126508[/snapback]​

I didn't think Oregon's was too much better. They had the guy that ran through the outfield wall to make the catch, how we passed up Michael Jordan in the draft, and a 15 second piece on the Civil War. And a little bit on Pre.

Did anyone watch Sportscenter this morning? The guy that calls the games on Saturday mornings said that UT was the only team with high expectations that he thought would disappoint....Oh well, that's just motivation for

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Aug 14, 2005 2:53 PM
Did anyone watch Sportscenter this morning?  The guy that calls the games on Saturday mornings said that UT was the only team with high expectations that he thought would disappoint....Oh well, that's just motivation for
[snapback]126569[/snapback]​

:blink: There's a shocker :rolleyes:

Originally posted by #10_Ainge_#10@Aug 14, 2005 1:53 PM
Did anyone watch Sportscenter this morning?  The guy that calls the games on Saturday mornings said that UT was the only team with high expectations that he thought would disappoint....Oh well, that's just motivation for
[snapback]126569[/snapback]​

It was Bob Davie. I wouldn't worry about anything he has to say.

Hate to sound cranky but this ESPN 50/50 crap has gotten real old for me.

Everywhere I go people are going NUTS over voting for their fake, crappy poll

As a general rule, all the 50/50's have bombed, IMO. They show a bunch of crap like the Elvis marathon, county fairs, a cardboard boat race, a lifeguard competition. . . .who cares? If you want to highlight the real sporting culture of a state, wouldn't it be more reasonable to, for example, hit UT campus on a gameday?

What will be next, competitive eating?

Agreed - these segments come off more like a quirky Turner South special than an actual showcase of the state. I don't really get what they are trying to accomplish, because it surely isn't informative or entertaining for the most part. Personally, I start channel surfing when they go to a 50/50.

Originally posted by Volsaholic@Aug 14, 2005 11:14 AM
Ga. Tech team was up by over 100 points at half-time and Heisman told his team to keep fighting and don't think about letting up, because he was sure Cumberland had something up their sleeve. Real classy guy, they should name a trophy after him.
[snapback]126510[/snapback]​

I have to point out the reason Heisman ran up the score. He was also the baseball coach and the year before Cumberland beat Tech 22-0 using professional players pretending to be student-athletes. So to get revenge Heisman paid all of Cumberland's expenses to go to Atlanta and gave them $500 to play the game.

Originally posted by knoxstinger@Aug 15, 2005 12:03 PM
I have to point out the reason Heisman ran up the score.  He was also the baseball coach and the year before Cumberland beat Tech 22-0 using professional players pretending to be student-athletes.  So to get revenge Heisman paid all of Cumberland's expenses to go to Atlanta and gave them $500 to play the game.
[snapback]126829[/snapback]​

I've also read that he was protesting a rule in use by the NCAA (or whatever the equivalent was at the time) whereby they used total points scored as a tiebreaker. He basically said "You want total points, I'll give you total points."

VN Store

Back