Esmery Martinez requests release from NLI to MSST

Amb3096

Can't say I'm surprised. Once Sidney Cooks transferred in, the writing was on the wall for Esmery, and it's unlikely she was gonna play that much this year anyway. I have a feeling this takes MSST out of the running for Cardosa.

Did Tennessee have any interest in Esmery? She seems like the perfect type of player to replace Collins.

Can't say I'm surprised. Once Sidney Cooks transferred in, the writing was on the wall for Esmery, and it's unlikely she was gonna play that much this year anyway. I have a feeling this takes MSST out of the running for Cardosa.

Did Tennessee have any interest in Esmery? She seems like the perfect type of player to replace Collins.

ALSO CONSIDERED UCLA Bruins, Florida State Seminoles, Florida Lady Gators, South Florida Bulls, Louisville Cardinals, NC State Wolfpack, Rutgers Scarlet Knights, Dayton Flyers, South Carolina Gamecocks, per ESPN

If I recall correctly, she kind of burst out of nowhere, had a bunch of good games, got the eye of some of the top teams and made her decision quickly. Just because Tennessee wasn't in her original shotgun list of schools doesn't mean she wouldn't be interested...and given Tennessee's turnover, they might be reevaluating their roster as well. Plus I hear she's really good friends with Kamilla...

I think we had a little interest because of the relationship Holly developed with Coach Hunt at Hamilton Heights, not sure if we really went after her though. I think she lands in Florida State with Izabela Nicoletti who is also from Brazil who had to sit out the past year with a torn ACL. I also think that is the Dark Horse for Cardoso as well. 3 Brazilians on the same team.

The translation of that tweet is that now that Esmery has re-opened her recruitment, how would she look in this (Texas) uniform?

Someone from FDMAthletics went to the trouble of tweeting that; so, until they tweet some of her in other schools' uniforms, one would think she is Texas-bound.

The translation of that tweet is that now that Esmery has re-opened her recruitment, how would she look in this (Texas) uniform?

Someone from FDMAthletics went to the trouble of tweeting that; so, until they tweet some of her in other schools' uniforms, one would think she is Texas-bound.

Well that clears up recruiting...Just make sure we can get our recruits photoshopped in LV gear, tweet out the image, and one would think they're UT bound......

I guess these tweets are simply an indication of the schools she is considering, and not just Texas:

Does anyone know if Martinez lives with Madison Hayes? I’ve been on multiple of her instagram livestreams, and she is almost always with Hayes. In addition, she was their for Christmas. Also always at workouts with Hayes, not Hunt. I was under the impression they took Esmery under their wing.

I would like to see Esmery make a visit to Knoxville. Having seen a few HHCA games, she plays with a ton of energy and is a rebounding machine - very athletic.

Does anyone know if Martinez lives with Madison Hayes? I’ve been on multiple of her instagram livestreams, and she is almost always with Hayes. In addition, she was their for Christmas. Also always at workouts with Hayes, not Hunt. I was under the impression they took Esmery under their wing.

I would like to see Esmery make a visit to Knoxville. Having seen a few HHCA games, she plays with a ton of energy and is a rebounding machine - very athletic.

A lot of the students at Hamilton Heights have (host family’s) that gives them support when not at school and/or school functions.

Coach Hunt could tell you more about this process that the school uses...

If she’s to be a Lady Longhorn, then good for her.
But, a few questions/concerns:
1) Did she actually gain the NLI release?
2) Wouldn’t there be a negative domino effect for Mississippi State?
3) With the release, would she be immediately eligible?
The fact that she’d already signed strongly suggests that recruiting had stopped for her position; that they’d subsequently said “No, thank you,” to the next-in-line post player. I’m having no pity party for Mississippi State - players come; players go - but this last-minute change of heart seems unfair, in the grand scheme.

If she’s to be a Lady Longhorn, then good for her.
But, a few questions/concerns:
1) Did she actually gain the NLI release?
2) Wouldn’t there be a negative domino effect for Mississippi State?
3) With the release, would she be immediately eligible?
The fact that she’d already signed strongly suggests that recruiting had stopped for her position; that they’d subsequently said “No, thank you,” to the next-in-line post player. I’m having no pity party for Mississippi State - players come; players go - but this last-minute change of heart seems unfair, in the grand scheme.
I think that the Sidney Cooks transfer played a big part in Esmery's decision. They are loaded at both SF and PF for the next few years. Esmery probably realized that she would have a hard time cracking the rotation. I don't think it hurts MSST in any way because I doubt she was going to play much this year to begin with.

I think that the Sidney Cooks transfer played a big part in Esmery's decision. They are loaded at both SF and PF for the next few years. Esmery probably realized that she would have a hard time cracking the rotation. I don't think it hurts MSST in any way because I doubt she was going to play much this year to begin with.

Thank you very much. I appreciate and enjoy your knowledgeable posts.
I can be a bit tender-hearted about such things, especially as it concerns the fate of possibly several other players. And, had this request been made in, say, late-February, leaving some chance for salvage (transfer) then no problem.
But, June 4th!

Thank you very much. I appreciate and enjoy your knowledgeable posts.
I can be a bit tender-hearted about such things, especially as it concerns the fate of possibly several other players. And, had this request been made in, say, late-February, leaving some chance for salvage (transfer) then no problem.
But, June 4th!

Thanks, glad you enjoy what I try to contribute :)

Transfers in can really shake things up. I doubt Esmery would have committed if she knew Cooks was transferring in. Making matters worse was signing Morris from the JUCO ranks, which creates a logjam this season at the 4/5 with Bibby, Carter, Taylor, Morris and possibly Jackson splitting minutes...and Cooks added in next year. I think Esmery would have stayed if not for those two late signings. Unfortunately, she probably will have to sit out a season, but Texas will be able to use her after that a whole lot more than MSST would.

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back