Eric Berry - retire this legends number

No player is bigger than the game. Thus no player ever at any school should have their number retired. Plus it’s just sports. We need to throttle down our hero worship of entertainment persons.

I’m sure most all of you disagree with me. That’s ok. Just an opinion.

No player is bigger than the game. Thus no player ever at any school should have their number retired. Plus it’s just sports. We need to throttle down our hero worship of entertainment persons.

I’m sure most all of you disagree with me. That’s ok. Just an opinion.
You're not completely wrong. Some players are truly bigger than the game. Peyton Manning is a good example, elementary school kids know who he is but probably never saw him play a game. John Madden, most people know the name but few remember when he was an actual announcer much less a player and coach. I agree there is too much hero worship in sports. I met AJ Brown at a function last week. Thanked him for his involvement supporting kids in Middle Tennessee but ultimately he gets rich by being an entertainer. Lets' heap praise on those who are working with underserved kids every day.

I was casually scrolling through twitter and saw a great video from Inky Johnson who was interviewing Eric Berry on his podcast. Tennessee needs to retire this mans number asap. He is the ultimate warrior - beating cancer - coming back and still being a pro bowl caliber player. He was the best defensive player I have personally ever witnessed at Tennessee. Eric Berry represented our university with pure class while on campus, and in his professional career. He is my favorite VOL of all time. Eric Berry is the definition of a Tennessee Volunteer, and he honestly isn't talked about enough.

This idea times 1000 percent.

I like the ring of honor.....that way current players can look up and see the best that wore that number and they can wear it still..

One of the best DB's in SEC history. It's just hard to dominate a game from the defensive backfield. Like Reggie could completely take away one side of the field from your play calling. He was on some pretty bad teams, as well. I agree. Retire his number.

This is the article I was going by and I guess it is possible that they have changed the criteria since this was the rule.

Tennessee Football & Basketball Retired Number Criteria

Well, they never did it, until Reggie White's widow pushed for it. And since then it has gotten outta hand. If it were up to me, I would have taken a page outta the Dallas Cowboy's playbook, and create a ring of honor. And bring every last retired number outta retirement. Getting to the point that we are going to have 3 players wearing the same number. Stupid as Hell.

Reactions: GAVol

VN Store

Back