Enough Tennessee fans sound off !

Fulmer has never seen the value and importance of the Lady Vols Basketball program. His eyes are set on the football program. I am concerned the Lady Vols have digressed so far under Holly that it will take a long time for the program to return. We need to remember that the latest recruits who committed to Tennessee are one of the last generation of players who still remember Coach Pat Head Summitt. Warlick has been riding the coat tails of Coach Summitt in recruiting many players. Soon, we will see a whole new generation of players who will have no knowledge of Pat and her winning programs. Many future high school girls will seek other programs and the Lady Vols of yesterday will be history and a distant memory only written in the books. The Lady Vols are now at a tipping point of falling to the cellar to see it never return unless Fulmer does something quick to change the direction of the program with a new successful coach. If the trend continues, future Lady Vols will only consist of second-tier recruits who are the left-overs after the premier programs have picked over the best recruits. It has become a very sad situation and will only become worse without action.
Very sad but very true commentary on the present state of the LVs. I think the saddest aspect of the this situation is Holly's refusal to admit that the house is burning down after she has douse it with kerosene and lit a match to it.

The only way to force a change for next season, not this season, already lost, is for the fans to stay away in large numbers....The bottom line is bucks, not butts in seats....

People can give away their seats, which will put butts in seats, but stop buying the seats, and things will change for next season...It's a bottom line business, and if people are content to pay for an inferior product, they will get an inferior product.

Holly has no idea how to turn this disaster around.

Reactions: Momto2
GT is correct we are talking about a business. Holly signed a contract to be the head coach of LV. Simply, she is in breach of that contract.

Reactions: teacherdean
She's not in breach of contract. UT can terminate her without cause, but they won't. They'll work out a soft landing when the AD decides the time is right. And that won't be during the season. If the team cares about making the NCAAT, they have a path to do that, but they're going to have to change things themselves for now.

Fulmer has never seen the value and importance of the Lady Vols Basketball program.

I completely disagree with this statement. It was Phil Fulmer who used to include Pat Summitt in his campus recruiting routine, bringing recruits around to meet her, knowing how important her towering figure was in the world of sport — even among young men. Phil Fulmer has always understood the value of Lady Vols Basketball. He obviously made an error in judgement in extending Holly's contract, but I don't think he did that out of lack of respect for the program, but was giving the coach who'd coached Tennessee for 30 years the benefit of the doubt.

His gamble -- done out of love for Pat and the Lady Vols, NOT out of apathy for the program -- did not pay off, and now he is in a helluva mess. I firmly believe that he will do the right thing and find a way to right the ship. Just not during the season.

I'm sure Phil is not taking prospects to meet Holly...I can't help but laugh at that thought....

True story....My wife worked for UT and worked with Pat quite often....She needed some papers signed by Pat and took me along to Pat's office to get them signed....I stood there very quietly as she signed the papers...I knew I was in the presence of greatness and could barely breathe......Pat asked me if I spoke....I was very nervous.....She gave me that stare waiting for an answer....I mumbled something and she laughed and told my wife to keep me, I was OK.....Then she took a basketball out of a shelf, signed it and tossed it to me.....I still have that ball wrapped in a protective wrapping.

Yeah, I can see how Phil would take a prospect to see Pat...Pat had it, whatever it is, she was loaded with it...

RIP Coach Summitt.

Last edited:
It's not just about wins and losses. You do realize the $ made from football and Men's basketball subsidizes every other sports team on campus?

Of course I realize that, everyone does but that is irrelevant when keeping a coach for one of the school's top sports programs. This isn't 1980 anymore, you can't just simply neglect every other sport that isn't football.

Reactions: teacherdean
The only way to force a change for next season, not this season, already lost, is for the fans to stay away in large numbers....The bottom line is bucks, not butts in seats....

People can give away their seats, which will put butts in seats, but stop buying the seats, and things will change for next season...It's a bottom line business, and if people are content to pay for an inferior product, they will get an inferior product.

You are calling for a BOYCOTT of the Lady Vols basketball games. Stupid.

You are calling for a BOYCOTT of the Lady Vols basketball games. Stupid.
Stupid or not, attendance has dropped nearly every year since Holly has been the HC. This is a "de facto" boycott. The Lady Vols have become the laughingstock of WCBB. Even Auriemma has called the LVs "nonrelevant" as regarding their status as an elite basketball team. He said this in consideration of the renewal of the UT-UCONN series next year.

Reactions: secfanclub
I completely disagree with this statement. It was Phil Fulmer who used to include Pat Summitt in his campus recruiting routine, bringing recruits around to meet her, knowing how important her towering figure was in the world of sport — even among young men. Phil Fulmer has always understood the value of Lady Vols Basketball. He obviously made an error in judgement in extending Holly's contract, but I don't think he did that out of lack of respect for the program, but was giving the coach who'd coached Tennessee for 30 years the benefit of the doubt.

His gamble -- done out of love for Pat and the Lady Vols, NOT out of apathy for the program -- did not pay off, and now he is in a helluva mess. I firmly believe that he will do the right thing and find a way to right the ship. Just not during the season.

The reason he included Pat Summitt was because she was a major figure in Tennessee sports and Fulmer used every tactic available to help his own program get top recruits.. It was not out of respect for the Lady Vol Basketball program. If you have dealt with Phil you would understand what I am saying. Phil was always known as a good recruiter because he used every means available to get his recruits. All the other SEC football coaches knew it as well.

Of course I realize that, everyone does but that is irrelevant when keeping a coach for one of the school's top sports programs. This isn't 1980 anymore, you can't just simply neglect every other sport that isn't football.
Agree and thought Holly should have been fired last year. But, there were much more important things to get straightened out. After this season, she'll be gone.

Is not stupid, to me every fan should do wat ever they want to get their attention and fire holly. I can never call anyone's idea stupid.

I don't happen to think "stupid" is the right word, either. In my opinion, "potentially more harmful than helpful" fits the idea perfectly.

I completely understand, though, how an idea like that gets off the ground: Money DOES talk. We've all witnessed dozens of successful boycotts over our lifetimes, and often it is the loss of revenue that finally convinces the folks in charge to cave to those who are boycotting. I get it.

But in my opinion, even though the tactic might eventually work, the damage it could cause on the way to working might have longterm -- if not permanent -- negative consequences. Having one of the most loyal fanships in the women's game is STILL something that hasn't been taken away. A boycott very well could be mischaracterized as a lack of loyalty -- even if carried out BECAUSE of the intense loyalty. Perception is reality, and I'm not sure I'd want to risk a misperception that resulted in permanent damage to the reputation of Lady Vol fans. After all, fan loyalty is a huge selling point among recruits Tennessee pursues.

A better approach could be, for instance, for even MORE people to attend games IN SUPPORT OF THE PLAYERS, but to plan regular public gatherings outside the arena for those who wish to express their sincere "out of love for the program" concerns about staff leadership. The key would be to make sure the players and the public know that they are, and always will be, there for the players, but that those players deserve MORE than lots of fans at their games. They deserve a coach who knows how to get the most out of the talent on the bench.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I am seeing more and more fans not believing in the direction we are going now. The numbers have increased and many more are drawing a line in the sand that we make the NCAA. I figure when that happens ( hopefully it doesn't) the pressure on Fulmer and the AD office with increase dramatically. It all has to play out and I'm not one to hope we lose just to get rid of Holly. I am still hoping she can salvage the season even as I sink lower and lower in despair with each and every passing game.

I am seeing more and more fans not believing in the direction we are going now. The numbers have increased and many more are drawing a line in the sand that we make the NCAA. I figure when that happens ( hopefully it doesn't) the pressure on Fulmer and the AD office with increase dramatically. It all has to play out and I'm not one to hope we lose just to get rid of Holly. I am still hoping she can salvage the season even as I sink lower and lower in despair with each and every passing game.

I'm one of them fans that hope we lose it all. She's been loosing anyway, why not lose it all.

I see many Tennessee "fans" are proposing BOYCOTTS and PROTESTS of the Lady Vols basketball team, and hoping they LOSE the remainder of their games.

I know she owns or borrowed a dowdy dress for pats funeral. She needed the other things I listed she should have for her presser to announce her retirement. I never thought I would live to see the LV at this level especially with a room full of quality players. It is so sad.

A few people keep saying how difficult it will be to get a great replacement for Holly, however, I do not believe that is true for several reasons. For one the Lady Vols have a rich winning history, nice facilities, it is located in a very nice area and has a devoted fan base. In addition, the program is a recruitment magnet. I believe the Lady Vol program is a far easy sale than most other top ten programs. In reality, Tennessee is the Mecca of women's basketball and Knoxville, being the home of the women's hall of fame, makes it even more inviting. I also believe there are coaches, including some on top ten programs, who would see it as an honor to be the person to restore the Lady Vols back to being a consistent top ten program. I really believe that a lot of top coaches are pained about what is going on in Knoxville. You hear it in many of their voices when they talk about the program. I think a lot of coaches and analysist feel for Holly and just refuse to throw her under the bus.

The folks at UCLA may differ with a lot of your logic..... How long has it been since Wooden? Not saying it is impossible, but I do not think it is EVER a given even at a MECCA... How many shots did it take BAMA post Bear to reach and maintain an acceptable level? Hope CPF has an A list and is working it and makes a move WHEN he as a winner lined up. Not until.

Accepting your bottom line is bucks, why don't you and a few of the more prolific posters demanding a change man up and start a Go Fund Me page to collect money to expedite the change. Make it payable to UT if the position is open by say April 1 or the money goes to the Girls Club or other charity or your choice. The money could be used for the buyout or additional salary required to get an acceptable candidate... Might also need one of those sustaining sites at $19 a month to really empower the AD with funds to go big. I would love to see the commitment level from those demanding immediate action from CPF. Maybe the target should be $5 per keystroke to date with additional donations going forward and asking for other non posters that support your position to kick in as well and all report back the level of their donations. It would be out there for the world to see. You know kind of like a petition with meat on the bones.

"Make the NCAAT". As a goal seems a low standard.

VN Store

Back