Endorsements as a major recruiting tool

It's already begun. Saban telling Texas high school football coaches how much money their kids can make in endorsements if they come to Alabama. Using Bryce Young as an example.

Saban: Bryce Young near $1M in endorsements

I predict the downfall of Gump/Bama football will be NIL. Now that it's legal, NIL will take away Bama's advantage of cheating/buying of recruits. Though, Bama fans will be taking out equity loans on their double-wide's to be able to buy them some Bama players' image.

It's already begun. Saban telling Texas high school football coaches how much money their kids can make in endorsements if they come to Alabama. Using Bryce Young as an example.

Saban: Bryce Young near $1M in endorsements

It never was "if" . . . it was "when" a kid would pile up a FEW bucks off of the NIL, now recruiting will be just as Saban has done - which ever school has boosters that can dole out the dollars!

In short, which ever school has boosters with the wallet to shell out the money to these "5*" kids will win . . . it is now all out in the open and "legal".

Oh well . . .

GBO

Reactions: feathersax
I predict the downfall of Gump/Bama football will be NIL. Now that it's legal, NIL will take away Bama's advantage of cheating/buying of recruits. Though, Bama fans will be taking out equity loans on their double-wide's to be able to buy them some Bama players' image.

I hope you are right, but I don't think so. You don't realize how far bama will go to ensure their football program wins. They will do ANYTHING to outbid everyone else for the best players, including sacrificing babies if that is what it takes. They wrote the book on ways to "creatively" win, so nobody will spend more to stay on top than them. Only two things can slow them down any time soon: saban retires or a major rule violations.

Reactions: BAS Vol
I hope you are right, but I don't think so. You don't realize how far bama will go to ensure their football program wins. They will do ANYTHING to outbid everyone else for the best players, including sacrificing babies if that is what it takes. They wrote the book on ways to "creatively" win, so nobody will spend more to stay on top than them. Only two things can slow them down any time soon: saban retires or a major rule violations.

I can't argue with your logic, but their are "fan bases" that will get into the battle. When the big money boosters, and I mean "big" money, get involved..........Bama will suffer.

i figured all the gumps would sell all their possessions and give everything to the football players.

Y’all are delusional. Bama is not going to suffer due to this as long as Saban is there. And losing 2 games over the next 2-3 years does not count as suffering.

Teams in or near major mass-markets (LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC) will gain a distinct advantage. Their pool of resources for endorsement deals is way deeper than Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Saban will dominate for 2-3 more years before this new recruiting cycle takes full effect and other teams have 2-3 years to offer better deals than Alabama.

Then Saban will go away.

Reactions: The_Big_Orange
Teams in or near major mass-markets (LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC) will gain a distinct advantage. Their pool of resources for endorsement deals is way deeper than Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Saban will dominate for 2-3 more years before this new recruiting cycle takes full effect and other teams have 2-3 years to offer better deals than Alabama.

Then Saban will go away.

He's probably only going to coach a few more years because he's 70 years old. He's not sweating this NIL stuff.

Reactions: LWSVOL
I don't think this going to have the impact some you expect. Big names will see major money, particularly QBs. Otherwise, I don't think it will be much different than what most of these guys were already getting from bag men, except that it's legal now. A school like Houston, UCF, or even Northwestern is not more likely to pull an elite recruit from a school like Clemson simply becasue they are in a larger market. Recruits will still go where they think they are most likely to start, and/or be developed into a potential NFL draft pick, because that is where the real money is at.

Last edited:
Reactions: C/O
The key will be who can pay for the 5 star DL and OL. Every power 5 school has the resources and booster support to pay a QB a million. The difference I think will be what schools can pay the two deep players a substantial amount. The 1 million paid to Young who hasn’t even played yet is a publicity stunt by Saban. Saban even admitted that using the NFL model lineman won’t receive as much. Schools like Bama, Auburn, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, etc that are located in poorer economies won’t be able to compete when it comes to paying for a complete team when recruiting. Tennessee’s economy plus booster support probably ranks them behind Texas A & M, Florida, and Georgia. Again I am considering all factors.

Another school if Jerry Jones and the Walton family goes in big time is Arkansas. Those two boosters even though Arkansas is located in a state with limited resources can certainly keep that program competitive. The players attending west coast and east coast schools near large cities won’t reap many benefits as those markets don’t give a **** about college sports. There are exceptions with Ohio State and Penn State. That’s about it. My point is Tennessee will be able to compete for players if they can get their **** together with boosters and businesses throughout the state from Memphis to Tri Cities and everything in between. Again the schools with the resources locally and state wide that can pay substantial for two deep players will be the winners come recruiting. It is my opinion long term Bama won’t be able to do that and Saban will be gone in a few years.

Reactions: JRich and Sammy Joe
This has muddied the water big time now on boosters paying recruits. They can just do it thru an 'endorsement', wink wink, and its legal. Gray area now. Yes its going to change recruiting for sure. The rich will continue to get richer.

So Saban won't give the number, but he lets you know that its close to a million. Funny how that happened to "leak" to the media. Good recruiting, I'll give him that.

He's probably only going to coach a few more years because he's 70 years old. He's not sweating this NIL stuff.

He's not sweating it because he will benefit from it...

It just makes recruiting easier than it already is for Saban

There's only 2 things that could impact his continued excellence: His age and the NCAA. The NIL essentially eliminates one of those (NCAA)

Reactions: bamawriter
The key will be who can pay for the 5 star DL and OL. Every power 5 school has the resources and booster support to pay a QB a million. The difference I think will be what schools can pay the two deep players a substantial amount. The 1 million paid to Young who hasn’t even played yet is a publicity stunt by Saban. Saban even admitted that using the NFL model lineman won’t receive as much. Schools like Bama, Auburn, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, etc that are located in poorer economies won’t be able to compete when it comes to paying for a complete team when recruiting. Tennessee’s economy plus booster support probably ranks them behind Texas A & M, Florida, and Georgia. Again I am considering all factors.

Another school if Jerry Jones and the Walton family goes in big time is Arkansas. Those two boosters even though Arkansas is located in a state with limited resources can certainly keep that program competitive. The players attending west coast and east coast schools near large cities won’t reap many benefits as those markets don’t give a **** about college sports. There are exceptions with Ohio State and Penn State. That’s about it. My point is Tennessee will be able to compete for players if they can get their **** together with boosters and businesses throughout the state from Memphis to Tri Cities and everything in between. Again the schools with the resources locally and state wide that can pay substantial for two deep players will be the winners come recruiting. It is my opinion long term Bama won’t be able to do that and Saban will be gone in a few years.

Bama is a national brand. Recruits there will have NIL offers from all over the country.

Reactions: Tallman
One thing about the college game is there are no salary caps involved. About to become the Wild, Wild West all over again.

The Jerry Jones of boosters will win the championships.

Reactions: Tallman
Undoubtedly UT and everyone else is doing this too. It is obvious. Rich boosters now determine who gets the highest ranked recruits AND more importantly who will get the best portal players.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol

VN Store

Back