End of the game play

real orange

Would someone explain to me why its better to dribble away a late game procession rather than run our offence as we did tonight at the end of the game. Seems to me you end up putting up a prayer late in the shot clock.

Would someone explain to me why its better to dribble away a late game procession rather than run our offence as we did tonight at the end of the game. Seems to me you end up putting up a prayer late in the shot clock.

You want to leave as late as possible for one.

We got the right set. Grant on the right high post. Grant just didn’t get the play done

You want to leave as late as possible for one.

We got the right set. Grant on the right high post. Grant just didn’t get the play done
I understand pulling seconds off the clock but you need to get a good look at the basket.

I understand pulling seconds off the clock but you need to get a good look at the basket.
You certainly don’t wanna run a play quick into the shot clock and miss the shot in that situation. You can have the best play set, run it perfectly, and the ball just doesn’t go in. That’s the thing about basketball, sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesn’t, even for the all time greats. Play the clock in that situation 100/100 times.

Reactions: albedo33
Running 20 seconds off of the clock before running your offense puts the opponent in the exact same scenario. 40 seconds on the game clock, 1 point lead, run 20, take 10 seconds to run a play, leave 10 seconds for them to run their play. Odds to lose are low... must not score, not get an offensive rebound, AND the opponent has to score.

Reactions: RollerVol

That's EXACTLY what I was saying while Bone dribbled it out. Even if you nail it and use the entire clock to score, the other team would have 10 seconds. That's an eternity to score.
A difference of 4 or 5 seconds and maybe. But 10-11. Nope.
Buuuut. We win. I'm happy. Barnes was right.

That's the point of not wasting the 20 seconds. That's the time needed to get that good look. If you can't get it immediately, then you'll have plenty of time to try again.

But, keep in mind, I have a day job and Barnes makes millions to decide that.

Running 20 seconds off of the clock before running your offense puts the opponent in the exact same scenario. 40 seconds on the game clock, 1 point lead, run 20, take 10 seconds to run a play, leave 10 seconds for them to run their play. Odds to lose are low... must not score, not get an offensive rebound, AND the opponent has to score.

That is probably the exact thinking.

It's really a pretty easy decision. You have the ball, the lead, and can leave your opponent with very little time. Plus if you run it down, miss, AND get an offensive rebound the game is pretty much over. I bet that statistically there is a very high probability of getting fouled in those scenarios (and Walker and Fulk were on the bench with their bad FT shooting percentage).

TN also had one TO to Bama's zero. Maybe not a factor in the decision to milk the clock, but if you miss and they score, you could still have a chance to set up a final play.

Interesting strategy with that TO as well after Turner's 2 free throws with 2.5 seconds. I bet Cuonzo would have called a TO to set up the defense (and allow Bama to script a play). Barnes has his guys prepared and they didn't need an end of game reminder on what to do. A huge advantage of having upperclassmen on the floor.

As posted elsewhere -

“Petty” will be remembered as the “Clint Stoerner” walk!

Put up like 25 points in 10 minutes - but choked!

Go Vols! #1 seed, 29-2, Final Four! 50/50 with only two road tests left at UK and Aubie! Will get them number 1 seed overall and South Regional!

Gotta think big! Go Big Orange! And that was years before anyone ever heard “Big Blue” used!

Reactions: tbones0711
To sum up most of the posts to this point....
And you can always count on a phantom walking call against the opponent..
Was really amused listening to the "color" guy trying to explain and justify that call..

Reactions: RollerVol
Was really amused listening to the "color" guy trying to explain and justify that call..
Petty walked and immediately committed an offensive foul. I was actually surprised they didn’t call the offensive foul instead, since it was a lot more obvious in real time than the walk.

Reactions: Plecoptera

Yeah the tv view of that play did not get the job done. Hard to see what those refs saw down on the court.

Alabama coach should never have let Bone stand and dribble the clock away. They should have forced Bone to move the ball into someone else hands and fouled before they let the time slip away. It was better to take the chance and set up a 3 if needed for a tie or the win...that was bad on Bama.

As far as Petty goes. He is a very good player and going to get better so just think of that. Should be a starter in my book. Get him hot early and he could score 50.....Tennessee could not handle him at all. He was to quick either to the basket or for the 3. It was a thing of beauty no matter who he played for. He schooled our guys and there was nothing we could do about it, nothing. I'll give credit where credit is due. Petty might have walked with the ball but look at what Grant Williams tried to do with a few seconds left in the game with his offensive foul. Grant is going to have to stop that plus quit complaining.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I don't know, saw him in their previous game and those rainbow 3 pointers were not falling. He hit 5 in a row several of them contested, can't make a living doing that. If he had hit a high 40% instead of 100% in that sequence the game is not that close. Perfect storm, play again on neutral we win by 15.

As far as Petty goes. He is a very good player and going to get better so just think of that. Should be a starter in my book. Get him hot early and he could score 50.....Tennessee could not handle him at all. He was to quick either to the basket or for the 3. It was a thing of beauty no matter who he played for. He schooled our guys and there was nothing we could do about it, nothing. I'll give credit where credit is due. .
Then we put Bowden on him and he didn't score in the last 10 minutes or so of the game - how does that fit your narrative that "there was nothing we could do about it"?

As posted elsewhere -

“Petty” will be remembered as the “Clint Stoerner” walk!

Put up like 25 points in 10 minutes - but choked!

Go Vols! #1 seed, 29-2, Final Four! 50/50 with only two road tests left at UK and Aubie! Will get them number 1 seed overall and South Regional!

Gotta think big! Go Big Orange! And that was years before anyone ever heard “Big Blue” used!

LSU could be a road test....

Inside a minute with the ball and the lead you always want to shorten the game.

If it's around a minute or slightly more it's worth taking a quick look at a high percentage shot to try to get a 2 for 1. But that math is more logical in a tie. Burning clock with a lead is almost always going to be the call.

I don't think it mattered in that case. Petty was smothered by Admiral and Alexander was in good position to put a double-team on him. Just had his prior wide-open shot blocked. His 60' shot at the buzzer had a better chance of being made than any shot he could have taken under the pressure on him when he was called for walking.

Last edited:
Then we put Bowden on him and he didn't score in the last 10 minutes or so of the game - how does that fit your narrative that "there was nothing we could do about it"?
Well he scored with under 10 minutes to go in the game. You might want to watch the replay again. It wasn't Bowden who blocked the 3 pointer from the corner but it was just a great great effort by Williams. Then with a few seconds to go it wasn't Bowden who was guarding Petty when Petty was called for the walk.

Do you have problems with players on the opposing team who play great games against Tennessee?
#1. You should be thankful this game was on Tennessee's home floor
#2. You should be even more thankful for Alabama's poor foul shooting which along with Petty's travel caused by the Admiral lost the game for them.

To you their maybe a "narrative" but to me I just give credit where credit is due.
I said in previous post weeks ago that by the Alabama game we should know more about what kind of team we are with the wins and losses. I thought we could lose as many as 6 conference games. So far so good. I thought Tennessee looked rather bad yesterday. They got sloppy again for the second game in a row. Bama started slashing to the basket for easy scores.

I loved to see Bone's speed as he went by Bama to the basket. I liked his mentality. I still want Bowden to be offensive minded and looking to score with the ball. Those 2 have made us a better team. Bone and Bowden are capable of scoring 20 a game but Bone is always looking to get the other players the ball in good position for a shot.

So now you can hold onto you hat and enjoy the ride as we looked forward to Kentucky, Ole Miss, LSU, Miss St, and Auburn.

Reactions: Sudden Impact

VN Store

Back